Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Another attack.

Message Subject: Another attack.
Bondy
Posted 8/16/2021 4:52 PM (#984135)
Subject: Another attack.

Guy just minding his own business...
https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/mobile/windsor-ironman-triathlete-recount...
ToddM
Posted 8/16/2021 5:01 PM (#984136 - in reply to #984135)
Subject: Re: Another attack.

Kinda surprised he swam that long without getting hit with a pounder.
North of 8
Posted 8/16/2021 8:36 PM (#984141 - in reply to #984135)

About ten years ago, my son and I were returning to the dock without having raised a musky all morning. Neighbor's daughter and her husband were swimming right on the break line, training for a tri. Had on hunter orange caps and trailing a buoy so that boats would see them. We slowed as they were between us and our dock. The guy, a musky fisherman, stopped, treaded water and asked if we wouldn't catch the one that had been stalking them for several hundred yards. It stayed about six feet away and swam with them. He said it was an upper 30s fish but looked intimidating at eye level. It never came closer but stayed that far away for another hundred yards or so.

Talked to him the next day and he said it was a very strange experience.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 8/16/2021 9:27 PM (#984142 - in reply to #984135)

We have a couple of popular swimming beaches here on Leech Lake, most who frequent them have stories about a muskie that swam right by, or swam between their legs etc. No bites though that I have ever heard of.

Just make sure you don't swim during a major, or before a front ect. and you are good to go lol!
And no skinny dipping!
ToddM
Posted 8/18/2021 12:37 AM (#984158 - in reply to #984135)

If you hear a violin get out of the water!
vegas492
Posted 8/18/2021 8:33 AM (#984162 - in reply to #984135)

Not an "attack" but....
When I was young, my dad built a raft to put out in front of our place. (Thanks, Dad. Rest in peace!)
Every day in the summer, I'd put on fins and mask and do some snorkeling in the area.
And every time I got into he water, I'd wade to the end of the pier and use that mask to look under the raft. 50% of the time there was a musky under there.
And when that happened, I'd get out of the water and pitch baits at the raft.
They didn't hit bucktails, or topwater. But they would hit suicks. Too shallow and weedy for divers.
Then I started catching chubs on a local creek and bringing them back and putting them into the bait pen. A nice strong 4-5 inch chub on bobber with a seven strand leader attached to it usually did the trick.
Good times.
I hate that you never know when you are experiencing the "good old days", until they are long behind you.
14ledo81
Posted 8/18/2021 3:18 PM (#984170 - in reply to #984162)

vegas492 - 8/18/2021 8:33 AM

Not an "attack" but....
When I was young, my dad built a raft to put out in front of our place. (Thanks, Dad. Rest in peace!)
Every day in the summer, I'd put on fins and mask and do some snorkeling in the area.
And every time I got into he water, I'd wade to the end of the pier and use that mask to look under the raft. 50% of the time there was a musky under there.
And when that happened, I'd get out of the water and pitch baits at the raft.
They didn't hit bucktails, or topwater. But they would hit suicks. Too shallow and weedy for divers.
Then I started catching chubs on a local creek and bringing them back and putting them into the bait pen. A nice strong 4-5 inch chub on bobber with a seven strand leader attached to it usually did the trick.
Good times.
I hate that you never know when you are experiencing the "good old days", until they are long behind you.

Your comment about the "good old days" is to true.

I heard someone say once, "at one point we "went outside to play" for the last time".
North of 8
Posted 8/18/2021 3:57 PM (#984171 - in reply to #984170)

Maybe as a society we would be healthier, happier if we made an effort to "go outside and play" more often as adults. I walk outside virtually every day and when it is hot or cold, people comment on my sanity. On the contrary, I think that time outdoors is critical for my sanity, in addition to the cardio/vascular benefits.
Last week I took a neighbor fishing for musky. He has fished for years but sadly has decided to start fishing for musky. Anyway, we fished for about 5 hours without so much as a follow. But he said he had a good time, we were outside, saw a couple eagles, watched the loons fishing nearby, etc. Beats the heck out of being inside was his final comment.
vegas492
Posted 8/19/2021 8:44 AM (#984193 - in reply to #984135)

Any time spent on the water is good time spent.
Even if jet skiers, sailboats, water skiers and wakeboard boats are cruising by.
vegas492
Posted 8/19/2021 8:47 AM (#984194 - in reply to #984170)

14ledo81 - 8/18/2021 3:18 PM

Your comment about the "good old days" is to true.

I heard someone say once, "at one point we "went outside to play" for the last time".

That is so true.
I was thinking about it the other day. My father passed in 2020 and we were able to have his celebration of life ceremony in early July.
I remember having my young black lab, she was gorgeous and just the best dog ever.
Me, her and my dad would go fishing all the time in the summer.
Those were the good old days, fishing Vilas County with my old man and our dog.
Didn't matter if it was walleye, crappie or musky. Didn't matter if the fish bit, just being on a boat with both of them was magical. Best times of my life.
Muthsky
Posted 8/31/2021 8:48 AM (#986526 - in reply to #984194)

Videos:

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/videos/gallery/large-fish-attac...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1t8L50LFUQ&ab_channel=WindsorStar

When I swim in freshwater I do not worry about attacks from anything When I swim in saltwater I worry about attacks from everything

Edited by Muthsky 8/31/2021 8:58 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)