Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> MinnKota Ultrex

Reply New post
Message Subject: MinnKota Ultrex
HunterDM
Posted 4/3/2020 9:48 PM (#957110)
Subject: MinnKota Ultrex

Good day gentlemen, looking for some good old advice. Wanting to put a Minnkota Ultrex on my Tuffy Esox LTD. It would be a 80 lb. 24 volt, I -Pilot with a US2 trying to decide whether to get the 45" or 52" shaft. Does anyone have one on a Tuffy that could help me with this. Have been running the Maxxum for years with a 42". Looking for your thoughts before purchasing. Thanks guys!
sworrall
Posted 4/3/2020 9:57 PM (#957111 - in reply to #957110)
Subject: RE: MinnKota Ultrex

I'd put the 52" on there. In rough water, you will appreciate it.
musky513
Posted 4/4/2020 8:38 AM (#957113 - in reply to #957110)
Subject: Re: MinnKota Ultrex

Longer shaft equals better in big waves... you’ll never complain about having too much shaft length... on your trolling motor!
Fishysam
Posted 4/4/2020 9:17 AM (#957117 - in reply to #957110)

If you have been running a 42 the 45 will be the same, ultrex 45 will be better as it won't try and jump left and right when surfacing in waves. I would ask do you ever slip super shallow to bass fish? If so I'd stay with a 45", as a 52" may get high and in the way when adjusted to fish shallow water.
HunterDM
Posted 4/4/2020 9:29 PM (#957148 - in reply to #957110)

Thank you for your responses. I have never had a 52" shaft so I am not quite sure on the feel or difference I might have in shallow conditions. I do understand the extra length for windy conditions. Will it get in the way up front with the extra length. There have been many a time when I do get into the shallows while musky fishing especially in Canada with the rocks/boulders. May I ask, have each of you ever owned a Tuffy Esox LTD. for the comparison. Just want to make the right decision here. More than likely will be my last trolling motor purchase. Thanks

Edited by HunterDM 4/4/2020 9:31 PM
sworrall
Posted 4/4/2020 9:44 PM (#957150 - in reply to #957148)

HunterDM - 4/4/2020 9:29 PM

Thank you for your responses. I have never had a 52" shaft so I am not quite sure on the feel or difference I might have in shallow conditions. I do understand the extra length for windy conditions. Will it get in the way up front with the extra length. There have been many a time when I do get into the shallows while musky fishing especially in Canada with the rocks/boulders. May I ask, have each of you ever owned a Tuffy Esox LTD. for the comparison. Just want to make the right decision here. More than likely will be my last trolling motor purchase. Thanks

I named that boat and worked for the company in sales and marketing for 43 years. Had a few Marauders and a few Esox LTD's which was a rebranded Marauder with a 60" livewell. My first Tuffy was a 154. A couple years later it was renamed Roustabout. Think about it this way, that shaft will be 10" longer. Take a ruler out to your boat and see what it looks like. Should be fine, but if it seems long for your personal preference, get the shorter motor.!
Nomadmusky
Posted 4/7/2020 8:18 AM (#957320 - in reply to #957110)

I have an ESOX LTD as well. I just replaced my Motor and went to an Ultera, the only thing I ran into with a longer shaft was when in the stowed position the head stuck out over the side of my boat and my new custom tarp made the year before no longer fits properly. I have to take the motor off and store it in the bottom of the boat when I travel and be careful when I pull up to a pier on the Port side of my boat. (My motor stores to the Port side when at rest and although most boats are the same not all are).

That being said the longer shaft does help in windy conditions, it "bites" more water and you don't get to hear that sound your prop makes when it is half out of the water with each wave.

Those are my only words of caution, but as far as performance, go with the longer shaft.

Nomad
Fishysam
Posted 4/7/2020 8:34 PM (#957347 - in reply to #957110)

To me when set to go super shallow the motor gets to high to side arm over, but for pure musky fishing you shouldn't have an issue as your not skipping under docks.
TCESOX
Posted 4/7/2020 10:27 PM (#957353 - in reply to #957347)

Fishysam - 4/7/2020 8:34 PM

To me when set to go super shallow the motor gets to high to side arm over, but for pure musky fishing you shouldn't have an issue as your not skipping under docks.

You should be.
North of 8
Posted 4/8/2020 9:10 AM (#957362 - in reply to #957353)

TCESOX - 4/7/2020 10:27 PM

You should be.

Please, don't encourage the KVD wannabes. I have holes from musky bait hooks in the mooring cover of my pontoon boat, which sits three feet above the water on a lift. Dents in the aluminum skirting on the rear of the pontoon from lures. I watched a guy ding the motor on my fishing boat also on lift with what looked to be a double ten. I don't know if he and his partner had raised a musky or what but they persisted in throwing baits around my lifts and boats. Apparently neither of them had an educated thumb because they hit the dock (multiple times), the vertical supports on the lift, etc. I walked out, grabbed a nine foot rod with the big weagle on it and took a few casts. I can throw that about 50 yards. They got the hint and moved on. But, just about everyone I know has had damage to moored boats or covers from clumsy anglers. The water belongs to everyone but the boats don't.
TCESOX
Posted 4/8/2020 8:39 PM (#957392 - in reply to #957362)

North of 8 - 4/8/2020 9:10 AM

TCESOX - 4/7/2020 10:27 PM

You should be.

Please, don't encourage the KVD wannabes. I have holes from musky bait hooks in the mooring cover of my pontoon boat, which sits three feet above the water on a lift. Dents in the aluminum skirting on the rear of the pontoon from lures. I watched a guy ding the motor on my fishing boat also on lift with what looked to be a double ten. I don't know if he and his partner had raised a musky or what but they persisted in throwing baits around my lifts and boats. Apparently neither of them had an educated thumb because they hit the dock (multiple times), the vertical supports on the lift, etc. I walked out, grabbed a nine foot rod with the big weagle on it and took a few casts. I can throw that about 50 yards. They got the hint and moved on. But, just about everyone I know has had damage to moored boats or covers from clumsy anglers. The water belongs to everyone but the boats don't.

Yikes! Sounds like there needs to be a casting class or something. Having not lived where I have a dock of my own, it never occurred to me it would be an issue since the objective is to put the bait in the water, where the fish are.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)