Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Pipestone Lake, Ontario

Message Subject: Pipestone Lake, Ontario
EsoxHawk
Posted 6/26/2019 8:37 PM (#941397)
Subject: Pipestone Lake, Ontario

Hey All
Looking for any intel on Pipestone Lake, near Ear Falls, Lodge recommendations, what to expect? Any other useful info - thank you in advance.
Musky Brian
Posted 6/27/2019 8:08 AM (#941403 - in reply to #941397)
Subject: RE: Pipestone Lake, Ontario

Pipestone is actually down by Emo/Nestor Falls, not Ear Falls. Clear, Trout water chain. You can take a portage rail into Clearwater Lake too. It’s been an eternity since I’ve been on it. Wouldn’t be near the top of any of my must visit destinations but I’ve seen some decent ones come out of there. Not sure about lodging, there’s a handful on the chain
jackpotjohnny48
Posted 6/29/2019 12:10 AM (#941504 - in reply to #941397)

As Musky Brian mentioned, Pipestone Lake is near Nestor Falls (technically Emo) rather than Ear Falls.

There are two full service lodges on the lake, which are located right next to each other, and offer either housekeeping or American Plan.

1. Pipestone Lodge - Art and Jenny Perchuliak

2. Cedar Island Lodge - Todd and Carrie Baker

There are also two or three outpost cabins.

1. Slender Lake (Slender is connected to Pipestone and is north of the railroad portage) - operated by Mike Henry of Pipestone Fly-In Outposts.

2. Hideaway Lodge Outpost in the Northwest Arm of Pipestone- run by Doug and Kathy Johnson (This is a different Doug Johnson than the famous LOTW guide).

3. Border Country Outfitters - If I remember correctly, they also are still running an outpost cabin on the Northwest Arm of Pipestone.

I've stayed at or taken a tour of all of these places, and they are all nice places.

As musky Brian said, it is deep, ultra clear lake trout water. (If you're going to fish Pipestone, I would highly recommend reading chapter 3 of Dick Pearson's book). I'm going up there for a 9-day trip from August 8-17, and plan to do a bunch of fishing for suspended fish, as I don't believe that shallow water casting techniques work very well on Pipestone.

Last year, we didn't target muskies on Pipestone. Instead, we tried to figure out the suspended / open water walleye bite, and did fairly well trolling crankbaits anywhere from 3 feet to 20 feet down, over water that was 70 feet to 140 feet deep. I caught a 30 inch walleye and a 28 inch walleye, and we also lost a few 27 inchers, and caught some fish in the 23 to 26 inch range as well. (Trolling high in the water column over very deep water after dark, when the ciscoes move up in the water column).

This year, we are planning on applying similar tactics to the muskies, and targeting the suspended muskies. (Maybe even cast blue and silver Havana Jackpots out in the middle of nowhere in 100+ feet of water at dusk and after dark. Or throw Triple D's, Bulldawgs, and Suicks out in the middle of nowhere).

I think that this year will be my 5th trip to Pipestone. What I'm starting to learn is that, for the most part, the muskies don't seem to be on shallow water structures (at least not once the water warms and the ciscoes go deep). I'm starting to think that the vast majority of big fish (at least in August) are suspended out over open water most of the time waiting for the ciscoes to make their daily vertical migration in the late evening. (I think this holds true for the walleyes as well as the muskies, and maybe even the really big smallmouth bass).

Anyway, I'm attaching one minute of video footage from last year, as we were trolling for walleyes after dark in water that was 80 to 130 feet deep. We caught most of our walleyes on Magnum (16.5 centimeter / 6 1/2 inch) Yo Zuri crystal minnows, running them 3 or 4 feet under the surface in VERY deep water. If you take a look at the depth finder screen, I think there's a good reason to believe that the muskies are out there in the abyss as well...

Anyway, good luck wherever you decide to go.

"Jackpot" John Schroeder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C9w8C5H7Ro

dickP
Posted 6/29/2019 5:49 AM (#941509 - in reply to #941397)
Subject: Re: Pipestone Lake, Ontario

Troll those Suicks after dark as well Johnny. Pray for the nastiest weather possible also.Both my wife and I caught our biggest walleyes there.Many years ago.
Good fishing!

PS Not to be technical Brian but you reversed it.The RR portage takes you into Pipestone.??

Edited by dickP 6/30/2019 7:23 AM
Musky Brian
Posted 6/29/2019 8:24 AM (#941513 - in reply to #941509)

dickP - 6/29/2019 5:49 AM

Troll those Suicks after dark as well Johnny. Pray for the nastiest weather possible also.Both my wife and I caught our biggest walleyes there.Many years ago.
Good fishing!

PS Not to be technical Brian but you reversed it.The RR postage takes you into Pipestone.??

I can’t recall much as I was very young. I remember Clearwater Lake was where I saw my first Musky over 40” as it was spawning right by the dock, and a Walleye guide took us into Pipestone where we....didn’t catch much of any Walleyes. Also recall pounding some pretty nice sized pike off the dock ( I think I was about 10).
UglyPike
Posted 6/29/2019 2:28 PM (#941529 - in reply to #941397)

not sure if she guides but Jessie Baker is out of Cedar Island Lodge. Her and her BF Doug Wegner are excellent anglers who know their waters well. That would be my first call if I ever went to pipestone
jackpotjohnny48
Posted 6/29/2019 3:52 PM (#941533 - in reply to #941529)

UglyPike - 6/29/2019 2:28 PM

not sure if she guides but Jessie Baker is out of Cedar Island Lodge. Her and her BF Doug Wegner are excellent anglers who know their waters well. That would be my first call if I ever went to pipestone

Speaking of Doug Wegner and Jessie Baker, here are 3 musky videos they put together last summer and fall on Pipestone...

1. Jessie gets a nice fish on a double cowgirl type lure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiZRj3sTaAY

2. Couple of fish here in this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gl0w0hg9gc

3. Fall trolling big 13" Grandmas on Pipestone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2jxGLNhLQM&fbclid=IwAR0jyzqx21IxjdO...

Enjoy!

"Jackpot" John Schroeder

UglyPike
Posted 6/30/2019 9:27 AM (#941557 - in reply to #941397)

Nice finds!! ^
ndsumiller
Posted 7/3/2019 5:34 PM (#941692 - in reply to #941397)

According to her Instagram feed, Jessie does guide on Pipestone. I'm assuming you can send her a message through that account/medium and she'll respond.
UglyPike
Posted 7/5/2019 11:43 AM (#941798 - in reply to #941397)

I just spoke to her. DM her on Instagram and she will respond. Mention us so she knows its you. She is on LOTW right now with spotty service but will get to the message soon.
ColdLabatts
Posted 7/7/2019 9:50 PM (#941906 - in reply to #941504)

jackpotjohnny48 - 6/29/2019 12:10 AM

As Musky Brian mentioned, Pipestone Lake is near Nestor Falls (technically Emo) rather than Ear Falls.

There are two full service lodges on the lake, which are located right next to each other, and offer either housekeeping or American Plan.

1. Pipestone Lodge - Art and Jenny Perchuliak

2. Cedar Island Lodge - Todd and Carrie Baker

There are also two or three outpost cabins.

1. Slender Lake (Slender is connected to Pipestone and is north of the railroad portage) - operated by Mike Henry of Pipestone Fly-In Outposts.

2. Hideaway Lodge Outpost in the Northwest Arm of Pipestone- run by Doug and Kathy Johnson (This is a different Doug Johnson than the famous LOTW guide).

3. Border Country Outfitters - If I remember correctly, they also are still running an outpost cabin on the Northwest Arm of Pipestone.

I've stayed at or taken a tour of all of these places, and they are all nice places.

As musky Brian said, it is deep, ultra clear lake trout water. (If you're going to fish Pipestone, I would highly recommend reading chapter 3 of Dick Pearson's book). I'm going up there for a 9-day trip from August 8-17, and plan to do a bunch of fishing for suspended fish, as I don't believe that shallow water casting techniques work very well on Pipestone.

Last year, we didn't target muskies on Pipestone. Instead, we tried to figure out the suspended / open water walleye bite, and did fairly well trolling crankbaits anywhere from 3 feet to 20 feet down, over water that was 70 feet to 140 feet deep. I caught a 30 inch walleye and a 28 inch walleye, and we also lost a few 27 inchers, and caught some fish in the 23 to 26 inch range as well. (Trolling high in the water column over very deep water after dark, when the ciscoes move up in the water column).

This year, we are planning on applying similar tactics to the muskies, and targeting the suspended muskies. (Maybe even cast blue and silver Havana Jackpots out in the middle of nowhere in 100+ feet of water at dusk and after dark. Or throw Triple D's, Bulldawgs, and Suicks out in the middle of nowhere).

I think that this year will be my 5th trip to Pipestone. What I'm starting to learn is that, for the most part, the muskies don't seem to be on shallow water structures (at least not once the water warms and the ciscoes go deep). I'm starting to think that the vast majority of big fish (at least in August) are suspended out over open water most of the time waiting for the ciscoes to make their daily vertical migration in the late evening. (I think this holds true for the walleyes as well as the muskies, and maybe even the really big smallmouth bass).

Anyway, I'm attaching one minute of video footage from last year, as we were trolling for walleyes after dark in water that was 80 to 130 feet deep. We caught most of our walleyes on Magnum (16.5 centimeter / 6 1/2 inch) Yo Zuri crystal minnows, running them 3 or 4 feet under the surface in VERY deep water. If you take a look at the depth finder screen, I think there's a good reason to believe that the muskies are out there in the abyss as well...

Anyway, good luck wherever you decide to go.

"Jackpot" John Schroeder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C9w8C5H7Ro

Where are you staying at? I'll be on Pipestone August 17-24 at Art and Jenny's place. Love that lake.
jackpotjohnny48
Posted 1/5/2020 7:02 AM (#951977 - in reply to #941906)

ColdLabatts,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I sent you a PM, as I just found your PM to me a short time ago. (I haven't logged on in awhile, and had forgotten all about this thread).

I, too, have stayed at Art and Jenny's place two times in the past. This past year we ended up staying with Hideaway Lodge, at their new outpost cabin in the Northwest Arm. But I like all of the places on Pipestone, including Cedar Island as well.

I have taken 5 total trips to Pipestone over the years (always falling sometime between mid July and mid to late August), and I think that we are slowly but surely starting to figure a few things out.

My brother-in-law and I are going back up to Pipestone again August 1 - 8, 2020. And I am hoping to potentially book a second trip to Pipestone this year as well (either mid July or later in August), depending upon whether or not my usual fishing partner has enough vacation time left in order to make it work.

Anyway, check your inbox when you have a chance.

"Jackpot" John Schroeder
ColdLabatts
Posted 1/14/2020 2:09 PM (#952515 - in reply to #941397)

Couldn't send it via PM, so figured I'd just put it here

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(20200114_141029.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20200114_141029.jpg (135KB - 510 downloads)
jackpotjohnny48
Posted 1/14/2020 5:10 PM (#952525 - in reply to #941397)

ColdLabatts,

I got your PM.

As far as the location of the Hideaway Lodge Outpost, I have attached it as a picture in this thread. It's not quite as far up the Northwest Arm as is the Last Resort Outpost.

In terms of the actual place names, there a longtime guest of Pipestone Lodge by the name of L.T. Click who has been fishing there for many years, and he and his group have adopted some of the traditional place names, as well as inventing some of their own names. L.T. Click published a book, which is basically a map pack for all of the spots and place names on Pipestone. I have a copy of the book, which I ordered online for about $28, if I remember correctly. Otherwise, I believe Art or Jenny Perchuliak at Pipestone Lodge could sell you a copy if you're interested, because I think they keep some extra copies of the book on hand in their lodge.

Anyway, here's a picture of the Hideaway Lodge Outpost in relation to the Last Resort outpost.

I have marked other spots on the map, such as "Boo Island." That's the name for that particular tiny island, according to Click's Pipestone Lake map pack.

(AAA Pipestone Northwest Arm.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments AAA Pipestone Northwest Arm.jpg (74KB - 556 downloads)
jackpotjohnny48
Posted 1/14/2020 5:32 PM (#952527 - in reply to #952525)

And here's the link to where you can order Click's Pipestone Lake map pack.

It looks like it's $22.95, plus I think a few bucks shipping as well. (I think it came to $28 total, if I remember correctly)

https://www.blurb.com/b/2297365-click-s-pipestone-lake-map-pack
jackpotjohnny48
Posted 1/14/2020 5:39 PM (#952528 - in reply to #952527)

As an example of a page from the Click's Pipestone Lake map pack, here is the area of the Northwest Arm which contains the Hideaway Lodge Outpost Camp (Just around the corner from "Go Wide Point" and tucked away on the north shore).

(AAAA Clicks Hideaway Area.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments AAAA Clicks Hideaway Area.jpg (195KB - 634 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)