Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Keyes Fly Fishing

Message Subject: Keyes Fly Fishing
Baby Mallard
Posted 2/24/2019 1:34 PM (#931647)
Subject: Keyes Fly Fishing

Another great show today from Keyes!  Anybody here ever try fly fishing for muskies?  How much would a good fly reel and rod cost for muskie fishing?  Looks like fun.
CincySkeez
Posted 2/24/2019 2:08 PM (#931649 - in reply to #931647)
Subject: Re: Keyes Fly Fishing

Can get a Croix. Mojo Bass 9 wt for around $200 and a Sage reel for about $300. Thats my go to setup
true tiger tamer
Posted 2/24/2019 2:22 PM (#931650 - in reply to #931647)

I've caught a few on flies, I use a Bass Pro Gold Cup 9 weight, with a Reddington large arbor fly reel. The rod is less than $200.00 I believe, the reel is around $300.00, I'm sure a decent reel could be had cheaper, just make sure it is a large arbor. Best of luck.
Slow Rollin
Posted 2/24/2019 3:09 PM (#931653 - in reply to #931650)

That was a good episode. It’s amazing how aggressive those fish were on those flies. Looks like they have really good hang time too.
Nomadmusky
Posted 2/24/2019 3:25 PM (#931655 - in reply to #931647)

I've been fishing Muskies with a fly since 1985, thanks to George Langley. I started with a custom 8wt Fenwick, and an inexpensive but nice Pflueger. I now use mostly St. Croix rods in 8 9 and 10 wts. I of course have nicer fly reels now as well, but don't feel you need to focus that much of your budget on a reel, get a great line and a great fly line/leader and tippet. When in rivers I start out with an 8wt "small mouth fishing" for Muskies, meaning I downsize so I can cast and wade all day without getting a sore shoulder. It is a blast. I take my canoe and just start heading up one of many Wisconsin rivers that have Muskies and you will almost never bump into another fisherman, just avoid the rivers with the guide boats.

Nomad

Edited by Nomadmusky 2/24/2019 3:27 PM
MuskyFlyGuy
Posted 2/24/2019 4:40 PM (#931660 - in reply to #931647)

I fish 10 and 12. Depends on the Fly and the structure. If you have never flyfished before, get a guide and fish a river with smallies and use an 8 weight. That will allow you to develop your technique and understand river flow and holding spots. Casting technique is paramount and you will catch some smallies and not blow out your arm the first time. It is a great way to pursue them.
medy
Posted 2/24/2019 10:02 PM (#931675 - in reply to #931647)

I bought a 9wt combo with a large arbor this year from LL Bean for $159 CAD after tax. I figure I could eat that cost if I didn't like it.
Jeff Hanson
Posted 2/25/2019 11:20 AM (#931700 - in reply to #931675)

It for sure is getting more popular. 6 years ago I had never guided a fly fisherman for musky. Been doing more and more each year and Last year did 15 trips for fly fisherman. Have them catch musky up to 49.5" its incredible to watch. I have seen many days when the muskys will eat and chase flies and nothing else. Here in Madison the fish don't see many of them and they sure like them. I personally haven't tried it or have the gear but have been thinking about trying it. I have seen some muskys do crazy things after flies. Have also had clients catch them on the figure 8 with flies also
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com
tyler k
Posted 2/25/2019 1:44 PM (#931706 - in reply to #931647)

It's getting popular on the Wisconsin River. There's two guides based in Stevens Point that exclusively fly fish, and one in Merrill that guides both regular casting and fly fishing. I'd like to take it up, but I can't even get down my cast with trout sized equipment so figure I should wait until I get good with the lighter stuff. I just need to go to a fly fishing workshop.
North of 8
Posted 2/25/2019 1:54 PM (#931707 - in reply to #931706)

Very interesting that fly fishing form muskie is growing like that. Last couple of summers there has been a couple comes out to the chain I live on and fly fishes with heavy gear, I assume for musky. The gentleman who does the rowing has what looks like the kind of "double ended" guide boat I have seen in videos about river float trips. Don't know what kind of success they have had but they do keep coming back.
Ferrulewax
Posted 2/25/2019 4:50 PM (#931714 - in reply to #931707)

I have only fly fished for musky. I use a 10,11, or 12wt. It's all about the size flies needed, and the depth you will be fishing. the great thing about flies is they can be worked much more deliberately, IMO, especially in fisheries with current. You can let the fly rest in the strike zone, while the natural materials still give an illusion of movement. Lots of fun.
tolle141
Posted 2/25/2019 8:14 PM (#931723 - in reply to #931647)

Go over to Bob Mitchells fly shop and they'll hook you up for your budget. Get a redington behemoth reel. genuinely no need for something fancier unless you're going to chase tarpon in FL
Flambeauski
Posted 2/26/2019 3:40 PM (#931769 - in reply to #931647)

I go cheap with the reel, spend the money on the rod and line. If you can get someone who knows wth they're doing match the rod with the line, the best rod on the planet is worthless with the wrong line and vice versa.
kap
Posted 2/26/2019 4:25 PM (#931772 - in reply to #931647)

I like Mike Keyes approach, tie the fly to your bait caster and create the same lure action as Ben Olsen.
AllinclusiveAngler
Posted 2/27/2019 4:42 PM (#931882 - in reply to #931647)

Been fly fishing in general since I was an early teen; the fly fishing scene is definitely rising, especially with female anglers. Tons of information on outfits for muskie and I've landed some nice ones in the last year, but also missed many because of limp rods on the figure-eight. You'll learn quickly that after 10-20 hours of double-hauls and finally getting a fish boatside only to lose it to gear is a terrible feeling. I had this issue with the Orvis TLS power matrix (not sure if they makes these anymore). You have to remember that when fishing with big heavy flies, the material (especially the synthetics) will get stuck like velcro to teeth, making the hookset more difficult when the beast clamps on. Strip sets, braided-core lines and a rod like the T&T exocett 450 predator will help get the hook right where it needs to be. Smaller flies will obviously have less material and set easier. Out of the 4 fish I had last year, 3 were on figure-eights. My heavy outfit is balanced - Rod: T&T exocett predator 450, Reel: Sage Spectrum Max, Line: Scientific Anglers Sonar Titan. There's my take on it, for what's its worth.
Cloud7
Posted 2/28/2019 4:34 PM (#931988 - in reply to #931647)

Luke Swanson from Thorne Bros./The Fly Angler created a hybrid Muskie Fly Rod is supposedly a game changer. I'll be bringing one of his rods to the Clear Lake Iowa Spring Tune-Up to try out... I could become a Muskie-Fly-Guy... To Be Determined. I've heard nothing but good things from the fly guys who've tried the rod and then from Gear-Man-Steve on the Fat-AZ podcast. So I'm going to give it a whirl.

-C7
Baby Mallard
Posted 3/1/2019 2:01 PM (#932094 - in reply to #931700)

Jeff Hanson - 2/25/2019 11:20 AM  I have seen many days when the muskys will eat and chase flies and nothing else. Here in Madison the fish don't see many of them and they sure like them. I personally haven't tried it or have the gear but have been thinking about trying it. I have seen some muskys do crazy things after flies. Have also had clients catch them on the figure 8 with flies also Jeff Hanson madisonmuskyguide.com

This is the big reason why I want to try it.  I fish for the most part, very heavily pressured lakes where some fish probably get caught at least 10 times per season.  I have never seen anybody using Flies where I fish, so I think that would increase the amount of bites.  I would make sure I'm using heavy enough equipment to not break a line on a fish...last thing I would want to do.  Do guys who fish for muskies with flies use a certain kind of leader?

Thanks for the replies everyone!

true tiger tamer
Posted 3/2/2019 3:11 PM (#932193 - in reply to #931647)

I use tyable wire leaders, but I don't try too often anymore.
Flambeauski
Posted 3/3/2019 7:10 AM (#932212 - in reply to #931647)

I run about 4 ft heavy fluoro and 6-8 in of toothy critter tieable wire.
Sidejack
Posted 3/3/2019 8:40 AM (#932215 - in reply to #931769)

Flambeauski - 2/26/2019 3:40 PM
I go cheap with the reel, spend the money on the rod and line. If you can get someone who knows wth they're doing match the rod with the line, the best rod on the planet is worthless with the wrong line and vice versa.

Ditto on the reel. Consider diameter & weight, not brand or price.
It's a line holder.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)