Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Dual purpose battery

Reply New post
Message Subject: Dual purpose battery
Muskylund2
Posted 6/20/2018 1:29 PM (#910460)
Subject: Dual purpose battery

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good choice. I am running live wells occasionally and satellite radio most of the day when on the water. I have had the cranking battery lose power on occasion when out all day like in Canada.
Muskie Brofessor
Posted 6/20/2018 2:06 PM (#910464 - in reply to #910460)
Subject: RE: Dual purpose battery

I've had good luck using the Cabela's dual purpose AGM group 30 batteries. I had those batteries on my last boat for the 24v trolling motor, now with my new boat I bought 3 of them. 2 for the trolling motor and 1 as the starting battery because I too have had issues with just a normal starting battery with both locators on all day and not running the big motor enough at times.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/boating/auto-boat-batteries-chargers...
North of 8
Posted 6/20/2018 6:19 PM (#910485 - in reply to #910464)
Subject: Re: Dual purpose battery

I put a Fleet Farm Road Runner AGM Deep Cycle/Starting battery in my boat last year and have been very pleased with it. In March I realized had not done anything with it since I put it away in late November, even though I had plugged in my trolling motor on board several time. Put the charger on it and was still almost completely charged.
NPike
Posted 6/21/2018 3:01 PM (#910526 - in reply to #910485)

Might want to consider a separate battery just for the motor. Generally at least 10.5 Vdc are needed to start the motor. Accessory's can run on a lower voltage. They can also discharge the battery to the point where the motor won't turn over but the accessories still run fine. Yes you can recharge the battery using the motors stator but the amount of charge supplied vs that drained off by accessories can be a problem.
Paul S
Posted 6/21/2018 9:05 PM (#910539 - in reply to #910526)

NPike - 6/21/2018 3:01 PM

Might want to consider a separate battery just for the motor. Generally at least 10.5 Vdc are needed to start the motor. Accessory's can run on a lower voltage. They can also discharge the battery to the point where the motor won't turn over but the accessories still run fine. Yes you can recharge the battery using the motors stator but the amount of charge supplied vs that drained off by accessories can be a problem.

This is what I did. I added a battery to only run my electronics and now my cranking battery only starts my motor and runs pumps and lights when needed. I was having the problem of my bow unit shutting off when I cranked the motor. This has solved that problem as well. The only downside is the added weight and having to run the wires but I never worry about running down my batteries anymore.
Muskie Brofessor
Posted 6/22/2018 7:19 AM (#910546 - in reply to #910539)

I'll also add that I installed a single bank onboard charger for the starting/electronics battery so whenever I get the chance to get that battery fully charged I do. I figured it was just easier installing a single bank and a separate 2 bank for the trolling motor batteries (less wires to fish and worked great in the way my boat is set up).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)