Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Depth finders? Hummingbird vs lowrance

Reply New post
Message Subject: Depth finders? Hummingbird vs lowrance
muskykid35
Posted 6/14/2018 5:37 PM (#909981)
Subject: Depth finders? Hummingbird vs lowrance

Whats everyone opinions on both looking into getting a new set up looking at the 9s
Hds 9 carbon or a helix 9 mega with di and si

Thanks!
Sudszee
Posted 6/14/2018 6:09 PM (#909982 - in reply to #909981)
Subject: Re: Depth finders? Hummingbird vs lowrance

Garmin might be worth a peak too.
pklingen
Posted 6/14/2018 7:00 PM (#909985 - in reply to #909981)

birds all the way all the time! but if your looking at a helix 9 its in the same case as the 10 but with a smaller screen. never heard anyone say "i wish i had a smaller screen".....................................just sayin.
RyanJoz
Posted 6/15/2018 7:16 AM (#909998 - in reply to #909985)

I am, and have been a lowrance guy for many years. I have seen firsthand two issues where birds would not read the bottom due to bait balls. MEGA imaging is nice, but my lowrance has never failed me.

I prefer the two transducers that lowrance offers. LSS2 and then your standard 2d. This allows the expensive SI/DI transducer to be mounted higher and protected. The 2d transducer can then be mounted in a standard install location. They are also cheap to replace if you break one.
Musky Brian
Posted 6/15/2018 7:17 AM (#909999 - in reply to #909985)

I just made the switch to Hummingbirds this year after having Lowrance units on all my boats. I used to like the LCX units, but the gen 1/2 HDS units just weren’t very good to me. So far, the Birds are awesome and I am very glad I made the switch.

Edited by Musky Brian 6/15/2018 7:18 AM
Jerry Newman
Posted 6/15/2018 9:52 AM (#910006 - in reply to #909999)

Ryan,
On my old boat I had an LSS1 for 7 years and loved it. I got a new-er boat last fall and it already had the LSS2 which I was not happy with when compared to the LSS1. I was planning on installing a 3-D transducer anyway and have been very impressed with the resolution… definitely a step up from the LSS.

In all fairness though I was using the LSS1 with a Gen2, and now the 3-D with a Gen3, but pretty much guarantee if you like the LSS2 you'll really like the 3-D.
RyanJoz
Posted 6/15/2018 10:14 AM (#910008 - in reply to #910006)

3d is amazing for both clarity and identification of structures. I have been in a boat with 3d and used it for about an hour. It is awesome, but not in my budget.
Jerry Newman
Posted 6/17/2018 11:07 AM (#910114 - in reply to #910008)

Understand completely… new boat electronics are ridiculously expensive. When setting up the new-er boat last fall no way could I justify the cost for new Carbons… even the few used ones available on line were still a ton.

I ended up selling my 2 – Gen2s and buying 2 used Gen3s along with a new 3-D transducer… surprisingly there’s not a lot of difference in price between what you can sell a Gen2 and buy a used Gen3 for. No warranty I know, but have had good luck doing this and will be looking to do the same thing in a couple years with the Gen3s/Carbons.

Don't know that we'll catch more fish with the 3D, but like you say it's pretty cool to look at.
Nick59
Posted 6/18/2018 3:15 PM (#910287 - in reply to #909998)

RyanJoz - 6/15/2018 7:16 AM

I prefer the two transducers that lowrance offers. LSS2 and then your standard 2d. This allows the expensive SI/DI transducer to be mounted higher and protected. The 2d transducer can then be mounted in a standard install location. They are also cheap to replace if you break one.

You can do this with Birds also.
BNelson
Posted 6/18/2018 3:23 PM (#910288 - in reply to #910287)

the 3d module w 3d transducer gives the best images Lowrance offers, right now anyway. It is very close to Mega that HBird has, I've seen plenty of screen shots of the Lowrance units and it is very close to what Hbirds can do. they just aren't marketing it very well imo. I prefer the GPS of the Lowrance by far, the icon system etc... just easier to use and read imo.
I also prefer the 2d of Lowrance... If I'd buy a new boat, I might look at rigging it with both
RyanJoz
Posted 6/18/2018 3:39 PM (#910293 - in reply to #910287)

Nick59 - 6/18/2018 3:15 PM

can you do this without a switch?
Troyz.
Posted 6/18/2018 5:05 PM (#910309 - in reply to #910293)

Yes they both have their strong points. Like brad stated, I think think the lowrance has much better gps, and bird the better side imaging. So I run t 10 lowrances, run my gps of sonar at bow. Run side imgage on 10 at the wheel, and have 7 helix in bow for di and si.
Thuawk
Posted 6/18/2018 10:17 PM (#910331 - in reply to #909981)

It's just a y cable that hooks to both transducers
Jerry Newman
Posted 6/19/2018 11:27 AM (#910365 - in reply to #910331)

There are no Y cables for the Lowrance Structure Scan… you mount the supplied 3-D structure scan box under the dash and can then distribute the down scan / side scan via ethernet to several units.

Off subject a little but for those who are rigging their boat; I set up my boat with a floating unit that can be moved from the front to the transom in about 2 min. I honestly never thought having a unit on the transom was going to be that beneficial for trolling, but it was pretty easy and inexpensive to set up another station while rigging last fall, and it seemed a bit of a waste to just have a front unit folded over up front while trolling. If you are primarily a caster you could set the boat up to be able to move one of the helm units to the transom as well. I've been surprised with how much having an extra set of eyes has helped… and it’s been really nice not have to “lurk” over the other guys shoulder to see what's going on. Whether Lowrance or bird having that versatility is definitely worth the cost of admission.

Anyway, back to the discussion; I have not seen near the same resolution on my Lowrance 3-D as have seen posted here with the Humminbird mega, but (for me anyway) as long as I can clearly identify structure and if it’s in fact a muskie… I don’t really don't need to know if has a clipped fin or not. As already mentioned the 2-D down scan and better GPS would make it my choice over Bird anyway, and at the end of the day I suppose it’s too late for me to change.

IMHO even the high-end Humminbirds are more of a “plug and go” type unit than the equivalent Lowrance, and they do not have the same versatility to customize settings as Lowrance. It would be a tough call if I was just starting out though because outwardly Bird appears to offer the same unit/technology for less money.

One last thing that I really dislike with Lowrance now is you can't turn off the automatic display of the waypoint number like you could with the early Gen2s… would be good if they addressed that with their next software updates.
Nick59
Posted 6/19/2018 11:56 AM (#910367 - in reply to #910293)

RyanJoz - 6/18/2018 3:39 PM

Nick59 - 6/18/2018 3:15 PM

can you do this without a switch?

Yep
mtcook16
Posted 6/19/2018 1:10 PM (#910380 - in reply to #910331)

Thuawk - 6/18/2018 10:17 PM

It's just a y cable that hooks to both transducers

The setup is pictured below.

It's true, Lowrance has a good offering of products. If they didn't, Lowrance, nor anyone else would not last long in the market. That said, i don't think it makes sense to compare an HDS Gen 3 or Carbon to a Helix unit because they are vastly different in price (about $1000 in 12") and so is the consumer who they were each designed for.

The Helix series is the most popular series by Humminbird and is a straight-forward and easy to use fishfinder, at a price point that is quite attractive given the technology packed inside. For a user who wants great Side and Down Imaging, GPS, networkability, Lakemaster or Navionics mapping capabilities, AutoChart Live but only needs the 20+ pre-loaded views on a unit operated with soft-keys will not have to overpay for the technology.

Additionally, the Solix family of units are operated with both a touch screen and soft-key platform. These units include all of the same features of the Helix lineup, with the added ability to create custom screen views, share map card information over a network, offer enhanced waypoint viewing and editing and link directly to NMEA 0183 & 2000 networks / accessories. These features are in addition to a host of other master boat control features. Because of the customization options on Solix, it is not a plug & play option, but for those who really want to dial in the finer details and settings of the unit, they have the ability to do so from this platform. This platform is much more similar in customization of features and control to and HDS than the HELIX.

Edited by mtcook16 6/19/2018 1:50 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(9 M SIDB Y configuration.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 9 M SIDB Y configuration.png (110KB - 296 downloads)
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 6/23/2018 6:25 AM (#910602 - in reply to #909981)

This option is nice. Shared mapping with a $25 cord is also nice. 1 transducer with the Totalscan transducer is also nice. Each unit has it's benefits.

Edited by ARmuskyaddict 6/23/2018 6:39 AM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Resized_20180622_145449_7394.jpeg (186KB - 291 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)