Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Dive and Rise / Follow Technique

Message Subject: Dive and Rise / Follow Technique
Swpamuskyhunter
Posted 6/4/2018 11:45 AM (#909063)
Subject: Dive and Rise / Follow Technique

When you get a low follow to the boat on a dive and rise bait, what do you do to try and entice a strike . I’ve had a few nice fish under my baits lately but when I try to figure 8 it just spooks them away. It’s beem frustrating to say the least. Looking to try something differnt than a figure 8.
supertrollr
Posted 6/4/2018 12:17 PM (#909069 - in reply to #909063)
Subject: Re: Dive and Rise / Follow Technique

try a figure 0. you can't do #*#* other than tying a lure that will bring more fish in the net.try a big plastic like dawg or paddle tail. i know it sound strange because dawg almost move exactly like a jerkbait.
kdawg
Posted 6/4/2018 12:41 PM (#909074 - in reply to #909063)
Subject: RE: Dive and Rise / Follow Technique

Check out Joe Bucher's article in the latest MH mag. He covers the subject very well with having a throw back bait always rigged up in the boat with you. kdawg
14ledo81
Posted 6/4/2018 1:00 PM (#909078 - in reply to #909063)

I think this is a tuff one.

I have never been able to convert a follower to strike with a figure 8 using a jerk bait either.
NPike
Posted 6/4/2018 1:11 PM (#909083 - in reply to #909078)

14ledo81 - 6/4/2018 2:00 PM

I think this is a tuff one.

I have never been able to convert a follower to strike with a figure 8 using a jerk bait either.

Use jerk - twitch baits quite a bit. IMO they don't lend themselves to at the boat techniques like bucktails, etc. I just except that if they follow the jerkbait to the boat w/o hitting, it's a maybe next time.
Tommis
Posted 6/4/2018 1:19 PM (#909085 - in reply to #909063)

Most frustrating thing in the world!!! Jerkbaits/dive n rise don't typically produce followers for me. They usually commit well before I pick up on one interested in them. When they have produced followers, the results can be summed up at 0% on the jerkbait/dive n rise. I pretty much give up hope if fishing solo and this happens. I still toss back whatever is on my other rod just in case. When fishing with a partner, I'll pray he can throw a cast back with a follow up lure fast enough to keep its attention. Until this year, I have mostly fished solo. I'll have to give that bucher article a read kdawg and I look forward to checking back to this post in case anyone has a solution to this!
Smell_Esox
Posted 6/4/2018 2:36 PM (#909098 - in reply to #909063)

I've stopped retrieving them about 10 feet from the boat and let them slowly rise. Then give it a very slight twitch. Had a nice fish on LOW just destroy a Suick doing this once.
ToddC
Posted 6/4/2018 3:29 PM (#909103 - in reply to #909098)

Smell_Esox - 6/4/2018 2:36 PM

I've stopped retrieving them about 10 feet from the boat and let them slowly rise. Then give it a very slight twitch. Had a nice fish on LOW just destroy a Suick doing this once.

Bingo! I do the exact same thing. It’s amazing how many fish show up that you would never see had you not done this, especially in dark water. The twitch thrown in while it rises converts a lot of them into eaters. Not for the faint of heart for sure!
ToddM
Posted 6/4/2018 3:42 PM (#909107 - in reply to #909063)

Sometimes they are in a mood when they just aren't going to be agressive when following. Speed up the bait, figure eight like a bucktail speed up slow down in the turns. If they are still in it after a couple turns throw in some twitches and level changes.
esoxaddict
Posted 6/4/2018 4:04 PM (#909111 - in reply to #909107)

One of the coolest boatside strikes I've ever seen came after a decent sized fish followed a jerk bait for the third time, and after trying everything else the guy I was fishing with said "Okay, screw you, fish. You can't have it! Took one long sweep with the rod as hard as he could, effectively taking the lure away from the fish. As soon as the lure stopped the stupid fish came unglued and t-boned it, came a good two feet out of the water with the lure sideways in its mouth.

Needless to say I've incorporated that move into my jerkbait presentation. Sometimes you just have to make them think its getting away.
Sudszee
Posted 6/4/2018 4:10 PM (#909112 - in reply to #909111)

Watched a video of a guy turning his rod tip in 1 foot diameter circles as he pulled it along side the boat . Tip of rod was in the water
MartinTD
Posted 6/5/2018 6:36 AM (#909167 - in reply to #909098)

Smell_Esox - 6/4/2018 2:36 PM

I've had multiple fish eat it on the rise 10' from the boat, no twitch necessary in my experience. After doing a faster, more aggressive retrieve and simply stopping the bait about 10' out and watching it rise to the surface. It is the coolest thing when a musky explodes on it from underneath and you didn't even know that fish was there. Caught my P.B. with this exact technique and I don't think I'll ever forget seeing that big open mouth appear under the bait and suck it right in. Awesome. Suicks rock!
muskyroller
Posted 6/5/2018 7:37 AM (#909169 - in reply to #909167)

Great ideas and food for thought. Definitely will be doing the stop and rise this summer and fall.
Nershi
Posted 6/5/2018 9:10 AM (#909180 - in reply to #909063)

Death pause close to the boat as mentioned. If they don’t hit it on the pause/rise start working the bait again and walk the fish around the boat until it eats.
NPike
Posted 6/5/2018 6:40 PM (#909226 - in reply to #909180)

Nershi - 6/5/2018 10:10 AM

Death pause close to the boat as mentioned. If they don’t hit it on the pause/rise start working the bait again and walk the fish around the boat until it eats.

Tried this. Trouble is when the bait is paused at the boat the line has no stretch. So the fish hits the paused bait and feels the hooks increased tension and spits it out in a heartbeat before I can set the hook. But different stoke for different folks.
Nershi
Posted 6/5/2018 8:43 PM (#909241 - in reply to #909226)

NPike - 6/5/2018 6:40 PM

Tried this. Trouble is when the bait is paused at the boat the line has no stretch. So the fish hits the paused bait and feels the hooks increased tension and spits it out in a heartbeat before I can set the hook. But different stoke for different folks.

Why do you need stretch in your line to catch a fish boatside on a pause with a dive and rise? I’m confused.
PJV
Posted 6/5/2018 8:44 PM (#909242 - in reply to #909226)

Are your hooks sharp enough?

Saric and Bucher both say they can never be too sharp!
Sidejack
Posted 6/5/2018 11:01 PM (#909256 - in reply to #909226)

I can't even wrap my head around this one for some reason..

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(SuperConfused.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments SuperConfused.jpg (160KB - 286 downloads)
adubs
Posted 6/6/2018 10:57 AM (#909286 - in reply to #909063)
Subject: RE: Dive and Rise / Follow Technique

sworrall had a good suick video out a couple years ago showing how to twitch the bait at boatside in a figure 8... I personally have not had a fish eat a dive n rise in the 8 but you can create the same action using the rod to pull the bait around the 8. I'm surprised to hear that most anglers don't try that...not really that difficult to do...or simply walk the fish around the boat using the same action. The pause a few feet out is a must though!
curleytail
Posted 6/6/2018 2:30 PM (#909306 - in reply to #909226)

Short length of no stretch line usually means fish mostly hooks itself if hooks are relatively sharp. Not much different than a figure 8 or any other strike in my experience
NPike
Posted 6/6/2018 7:55 PM (#909337 - in reply to #909306)

curleytail - 6/6/2018 3:30 PM

Short length of no stretch line usually means fish mostly hooks itself if hooks are relatively sharp. Not much different than a figure 8 or any other strike in my experience

Do not agree when using jerkbaits. The fish usually hit after twitched -jerks of the bait. When this happens at - near boat line tension is max when fish hits on the pause (as they usually do). Fish feels higher tension (then when baits paused further from boat) and rockets bye-bye. Has happened to me countless times. Oh well.
curleytail
Posted 6/6/2018 9:28 PM (#909347 - in reply to #909063)

Also not my experience. Max line tension means hooked fish? We aren't feeding a walleye a nightcrawler on a Lindy rig! But we all have to know what does and doesn't work for us.
NPike
Posted 6/7/2018 9:47 AM (#909364 - in reply to #909347)

curleytail - 6/6/2018 10:28 PM

Also not my experience. Max line tension means hooked fish? We aren't feeding a walleye a nightcrawler on a Lindy rig! But we all have to know what does and doesn't work for us.

When a jerkbait is paused the tension is light to nonexistence for a moment. This is usually when the Esox bites a jerkbait. If this happens at-near the boat there is no give and the fish spits it. If it happens further from the boat the fish usually hangs on a moment longer before exerting max line tension so it gets hooked (or to otherwise put it you have more than a nanosecond to set the hook). Not here to argue that's the best I can do to explain.
ToddM
Posted 6/7/2018 10:57 AM (#909369 - in reply to #909063)

It also depends on the mood of the fish and how it ate the bait. Goes for any strike really. If the fish doesnt have the bait well for a hookset you have a better chance of losing it. Not all strikes are perfect, if they were our hookup to catch ratio would be close to 100%.
Nershi
Posted 6/7/2018 11:45 AM (#909375 - in reply to #909063)

NPike you should try setting back in to them the moment they bite. Give em the beans a little quicker and you should be able to convert some of those fish.
Jeremy
Posted 6/7/2018 10:41 PM (#909426 - in reply to #909063)

I have been known to just spit into the water and say a two-word unmentionable! That's usually the same two words that are forbidden around the house. Believe me, I've tried it.....just once!!!
Swpamuskyhunter
Posted 6/8/2018 10:52 AM (#909455 - in reply to #909063)

Well it looks like I’ll be stopping my bait 10” out and spiting in the water all weekend. Thanks for the advice.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)