Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Humminbird transducer: Anyone replace the mounting hardware?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Humminbird transducer: Anyone replace the mounting hardware?
VMS
Posted 5/30/2018 7:54 AM (#908598)
Subject: Humminbird transducer: Anyone replace the mounting hardware?

Hi Everyone,

New to me rig has a humminbird transducer off the back that has the plastic mounting to the hull. I think it is too low in the water, and the transducer flips up a touch while running at speed. It pulls right out of the side mounts. Does not seem to be a secure way of mounting, and from what I can tell does not give me any room to adjust the transducer up or down either.

I see there is a metal bracket that can be used as well (to the tune of $35 or so) that is adjustable, and I'm hopeful this would be the fix...

Anyone done this before or had issues with the plastic hardware?

Thanks

Steve
mtcook16
Posted 5/30/2018 8:06 AM (#908601 - in reply to #908598)
Subject: Re: Humminbird transducer: Anyone replace the mounting hardware?

The metal bracket is a good option. The other fix on the plastic bracket is to get the bracket height set correctly and then anchor it with a screw through the center hole on the outside of the bracket, the one that goes through both pieces of the bracket.
VMS
Posted 5/30/2018 11:57 AM (#908634 - in reply to #908601)

The funny thing is I have a screw through that hole as well... It still comes up, so I am looking to most likely replace....the plastic one doesnt seem to give the option of height adjustment if memory serves me correctly...

Steve
VMS
Posted 6/4/2018 9:27 PM (#909158 - in reply to #908598)

Hiya!!

Well....the transducer mount broke this weekend, so I'm changing things out...

I got to thinking, though...when the transducer was still attached, it would not read very well at speed. Was reading and came across the y cable that would allow some units to run both a dual beam transducer and a high definition transducer at the same time...

I have an 899 and have not been able to confirm whether or not it will use a y cable to read both down/side scan transducer and a normal transducer. Anyone know for sure and if so, what transducer do I need to mount in-hull?

I would mount the down/side scan in a higher location as it would be submerged while using it...

Thanks
mtcook16
Posted 6/5/2018 8:29 AM (#909177 - in reply to #909158)

VMS - 6/4/2018 9:27 PM

Hiya!!

Well....the transducer mount broke this weekend, so I'm changing things out...

I got to thinking, though...when the transducer was still attached, it would not read very well at speed. Was reading and came across the y cable that would allow some units to run both a dual beam transducer and a high definition transducer at the same time...

I have an 899 and have not been able to confirm whether or not it will use a y cable to read both down/side scan transducer and a normal transducer. Anyone know for sure and if so, what transducer do I need to mount in-hull?

I would mount the down/side scan in a higher location as it would be submerged while using it...

Thanks

Yes, the setup pictured will work with your unit and all other HELIX and 500, 700, 800, 900 and 1100 series units. For a fiberglass boat, go with the XP 9 20 2D trasnducer.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(9 M SIDB Y configuration.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 9 M SIDB Y configuration.png (110KB - 413 downloads)
KGW
Posted 6/5/2018 8:24 PM (#909236 - in reply to #908598)

Steve,

I run my console H'bird using the Y cable, 2 transducer set up as per the above...and it works great.

I have a spare NIB hi speed transom transducer and NIB Y cable I'd sell you...shoot me a pm if you're interested.

Keith

VMS
Posted 6/6/2018 10:18 AM (#909282 - in reply to #908598)

Hiya!!

I ended up finding the puck and y adapter on ebay... Arrives on Saturday, so I will have a little playing to do.

Mounting the down/side scan tonight, and am not sure if I want to mount it under the setback plate, or just off to the side next to the outboard on the setback plate. The down/side scan doesn't need to be in the water at speed, which I think is pretty nice....can keep the transom clean at the water line while under speed and not have to worry about knocking off a transducer...

Steve
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)