Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Locators and Bass Fisherman

Message Subject: Locators and Bass Fisherman
Beatsbyair
Posted 4/27/2018 8:57 AM (#905181)
Subject: Locators and Bass Fisherman

Why are bass fisherman so into their locators? It seems like every bass boat I see, they all have 12" or bigger locators. What are they searching for? Do the electronics really help that much to catch bass?

I get it when walleye guys or musky guys use locators to find the bait, structure etc. but in my experience bass are in the shallows around structure and are fairly easy to target.

Not trying to start anything. Honestly curious.
jvlast15
Posted 4/27/2018 9:15 AM (#905184 - in reply to #905181)
Subject: Re: Locators and Bass Fisherman

Not a bass fisherman. But I do not necessarily think that they are using them to find fish. I think they are using them to find structure. Locators do a lot more than locate fish or bait. GPS...side imaging...down imaging. All tools to help put you where the fish are.

Do they need two 12 inch screens? Probably not. But it sure looks cool!
sworrall
Posted 4/27/2018 12:30 PM (#905219 - in reply to #905181)
Subject: RE: Locators and Bass Fisherman

Beatsbyair - 4/27/2018 8:57 AM

Why are bass fisherman so into their locators? It seems like every bass boat I see, they all have 12" or bigger locators. What are they searching for? Do the electronics really help that much to catch bass?

I get it when walleye guys or musky guys use locators to find the bait, structure etc. but in my experience bass are in the shallows around structure and are fairly easy to target.

Not trying to start anything. Honestly curious.

Actually, a 12" screen beats the heck out of a 7" screen. OutdoorsFIRST covers the Elites and the FLW Cup and spends a fair amount of time on the front deck with them shooting, listen to what the pros use the electronics on board for, and yes, they do need them. A professional carpenter doesn't use a dime store tack hammer to frame, either.

You should see the array the pro crappie teams like. And that array plain flat gets them into the crappies, fast. Scan a dock, no fish? Move on to the next. Open water? Easy to see 'em on the 360. Impressive.

http://upload.outdoorsfirst.com/watch.asp?id=9743

http://upload.outdoorsfirst.com/watch.asp?id=6116
Pedro
Posted 4/27/2018 1:08 PM (#905221 - in reply to #905181)

I used to fish Muskies all the time for years. Now I fish Bass 90% of the time. The time I use with my electronics now is priceless. I can spend hours side scanning structure. The above comments are for sure 100% on the head. Those elites and FLW guys use those screens as their number one weapon. Bigger the screen the better also. Just gets to be spendy. But worth it if you can afford it.
BNelson
Posted 4/27/2018 1:15 PM (#905222 - in reply to #905221)

bass are fairly small compared to muskies...bigger the screen, bigger the bass will be on the screen. They definitely use them to find fish.
sworrall
Posted 4/27/2018 1:31 PM (#905224 - in reply to #905181)

We were out with KVD a couple years back, and he side-imaged a cypress. Identified the size and type of bass on the tree and caught both of them, eventually. The largemouth got all wrapped up, and it was magic watching him work that fish out of the branches.
ToddM
Posted 4/27/2018 1:37 PM (#905226 - in reply to #905181)

It depends on how diverse your bass fishing is. If you just fish shallow weeds, shorelines and docks maybe not so much. Tournaments, off shore stuff, specific docks, deep water for sure. Bass guys are marketed alot harder too, that advantage is needed.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 4/28/2018 2:43 PM (#905324 - in reply to #905181)

I'm fishing bass more now. Bass down south are not always shallow. I just got 2 9" graphs for the bow. 1 paired to the trolling motor, 1 linked to my 12 at the console for the SI and shared mapping. Overkill maybe, but so it a whole lot of stuff for fishing. I've been catching more and bigger bass since upgrading from a 7 inch graph though.
pigeontroller
Posted 4/28/2018 4:02 PM (#905327 - in reply to #905181)

Whats a locator???
sworrall
Posted 4/28/2018 5:40 PM (#905332 - in reply to #905181)

And KVD just took over the lead on Grand Lake with back to back days over 20#. Maybe another win? Would be number 25. Do the math at about a hundred K each win plus extra for Classics and big fish and big weights, and and and.

The man is good at what he does, and his electronics are major tools in winning.
zombietrolling
Posted 4/28/2018 8:42 PM (#905346 - in reply to #905181)

I love my Helix 5 and if I could afford it I'd buy the best on the market. Electronics are a great tool to have in the arsenal.
Fishysam
Posted 4/28/2018 9:22 PM (#905352 - in reply to #905181)

If you think bass are up shallow and easy to catch you are correct but nearly everyone who fishes for bass can do that causing the fish to be shared, so less chances of winning a tournament, however quickly, efficiently finding off shore structures, bait and fish that you can have to yourself will get you the big check.

Ps the off shore fish bite better and tend to be larger since they are not harassed every day like the bank fish are
Kirby Budrow
Posted 4/29/2018 6:29 AM (#905363 - in reply to #905181)

There are far more deep bass than you may think.
Posted 4/29/2018 8:50 AM (#905366 - in reply to #905363)

Some of the musky fisherman that jig are using them like the bass pros and are catching them in thanks to their electronics. A trip with one of the Seasor' s in Kentucky would be very interesting.
Beatsbyair
Posted 5/2/2018 10:07 AM (#905626 - in reply to #905181)

Cool info fellas. I'd like to do a bit more crappie fishing and I've been watching a lot of videos about how guys use their electronics to find em. Seems worth it to invest in some good stuff.
North of 8
Posted 5/2/2018 10:34 AM (#905629 - in reply to #905181)

Attended a seminar on using electronics for musky fishing back in March with Rob Manthei. He had screen captures of how he uses two screens, one with the transducer in the front of the boat and one on the back to aid him in putting guide clients on structure and fish. One screen shot showed two big arcs, and then a photo of the two muskies being released. He saw the fish on the screen, had the clients move suckers to the right area and they both hit the net.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)