Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Cocoa Beach Fishing

Message Subject: Cocoa Beach Fishing
oconesox
Posted 3/2/2018 11:33 AM (#894762)
Subject: Cocoa Beach Fishing

My wife and two kids are headed to Cocoa beach from March 17-24. We are staying at a beach side condo next to the cocoa beach pier. If anyone have any advice for fishing opportunities, species to target, equipment suggestions or an thing else l, it would be greatly appreciated. An off shore trip probably isn’t an option. I’ll probably try to do most of my fishing before the family is awake.

Thanks - Andy
T3clay
Posted 3/3/2018 12:28 AM (#894886 - in reply to #894762)
Subject: Re: Cocoa Beach Fishing

check the saltwater forums, there are some FL specific ones or facebook groups. you may consider taking a heavy setup and looking into the blacktip migration. Im not familiar with that area but I have dabbled in surf fishing over the last few years. white and silver is always great colors. you may be able to get into a barracuda if there are some flats in the area. but the saltwater forums are going to be your best bet.
chasintails
Posted 3/5/2018 9:23 AM (#895039 - in reply to #894762)

Fished the Cocoa Beach area many many years ago. Cut bait (mullets) off of the jeti wall will catch Blue Fish. They hit hard and fight tough. Have fun.
oconesox
Posted 3/6/2018 10:16 AM (#895176 - in reply to #895039)

Thanks for the replies so far.
Could someone give me some advice as to equipment? I have plenty of bass/walleye baitcasting and spinning set ups. Most are medium-light to medium 7-7'6", and some flipping sticks. I don't have any large spinning reels

I also have a lot of muskies rods from 8-9" medium heavy-xheavy, as well as a wide variety of muskie reels.

What set ups would you recommend for beach fishing applications? Do I need to go out and buy a surf rod and reel? Any advice on lures/rigs would be appreciated as well.

thanks in advance. Andy
cbuf
Posted 3/6/2018 3:18 PM (#895206 - in reply to #895176)

I lived in orlando and fished the Cape just about every week. However I had a boat or a kayak. As the water warms you should be able to catch flounder on the other side of the jetty. Meaning stand in the water and cast into the surf a 3/4 weight about 3' of leader and a shrimp. Fish the last 2 hours of either in the incoming tide or last couple hours of the out going tide. You can also fish the jetty with some cut mullet or live mullet if you know how to throw a cast net. If your not afraid of alligators I can let you in on some secrete redfish spot, where you will walk in the water knee to waste deep throwing plastic for redfish and trout.

I generally do it in a kayak, but you can walk it. Watch or alligator and boar.
Here are the coordinates
28.608133, -80.728713

Edited by cbuf 3/6/2018 3:25 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(4_18_red.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 4_18_red.JPG (69KB - 281 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)