Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The day you become selfish in your fishing is the day you stop your fishing growth."- Buck Perry
- (Added by: muskellunged)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> How to weight glides correctly?

Message Subject: How to weight glides correctly?
Alumacraft89
Posted 1/28/2018 7:23 AM (#890718)
Subject: How to weight glides correctly?

How are you getting the weight right in your glides ?
supertrollr
Posted 1/28/2018 8:02 AM (#890723 - in reply to #890718)
Subject: Re: How to weight glides correctly?

elastic
fishdawg
Posted 1/28/2018 6:17 PM (#890756 - in reply to #890718)
Subject: RE: How to weight glides correctly?

There's probably a lot of ways to skin this cat. After I put in the screw eyes and seal the wood with sanding sealer, I put spit rings and hooks on and then tape weights onto the wood and drop it in a bucket of water. I try different combinations of weights until it does what I want it to do. I have learned that it is important to factor in the added weight of future coats of clear epoxy and paint.

The first few baits I made had a sink rate greater than what I was anticipating. Now I compensate for the epoxy and paint, and things have worked out well. It's also a good idea to attach a leader when bucket testing.

Once the bait is finished, changing hook sizes can be another way to redistribute weight and find balance. I have several baits that have one little hook and one large one. They look funny, but run good. Balance is subtle and gliders need to fall horizontally to run correctly.

I also have a few baits where I have added sinkers to the split rings to correct balance issues or change the rate of fall.
esoxone
Posted 1/28/2018 9:10 PM (#890766 - in reply to #890718)

Will,

look at this video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJLeoqNH6x0

esoxone

Edited by esoxone 1/28/2018 9:24 PM
supertrollr
Posted 1/29/2018 8:49 AM (#890781 - in reply to #890718)

very good vid.it look like the guy is signing,that's true english right there
Jakej
Posted 2/20/2018 8:56 AM (#893213 - in reply to #890718)
Subject: RE: How to weight glides correctly?

A trick I have used since the 70's is to use SS welding wire. Available in straight wire and many diameters from any good welding shop. Welding wire bends easily. I run it from belly eyelet to tail eyelet and slide on various tube weights. Once I get the right weight and position I take the needle nose and bend the wire in front and behind the weight holding it in place. You can also trim the lead weight to the amount needed once it is on the bait. Bend the wire at the eyelet so it lays flat against the body. Have taken many a dog bait and made a fish catcher out of them by doing this. Several went from OK to body roll side to side. I have even epoxied over the baits to lock the weight in place. Getting the bait into the water to see the action while you are adjusting it is the painful part of spring ritual. Really shines on Gliders and jerk baits.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)