Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Retirement home (not that kind) question.

Message Subject: Retirement home (not that kind) question.
Dadzee
Posted 1/18/2018 6:46 PM (#890019)
Subject: Retirement home (not that kind) question.

A recent bout with colon cancer, and the eminent arrival of 50, have me thinking retirement. The only thing that I am interested in is a view of a lake full of toothy food chain toppers. I am hoping for non-billionaire takes on year round homes for the muskie enthusiast who has spent most of his years working and getting my goofy kids through school (only 1 more year left!) I am willing to go world wide in my search so feel free to send whatever ideas you may have. Thank you all for taking a moment to throw in an idea. Also posting this in destinations, as I think that may produce some results.
Matt DeVos
Posted 1/18/2018 9:54 PM (#890041 - in reply to #890019)
Subject: Re: Retirement home (not that kind) question.

My parents used to live in a year-round home with frontage on the Apple River Flowage in Amery, WI. It's a quality musky fishery and properties can be had at reasonable prices.
Brian7488
Posted 1/19/2018 6:31 AM (#890055 - in reply to #890019)

If it was me, I would find a good small to medium sized musky lake in northern Wisconsin that I could really "learn". Something that I could go out for a couple hours and know I had a pretty good chance of catching some nicer fish. Make sure that the land/house is something that you'll enjoy (you still will be spending more time in that). A place with a clear view of a sunrise/sunset on the days your not fishing would be something that I would enjoy.

Take your time and really research the lakes/area. It's easy to modify a house, not a lake.
You'll be surrounded by hundreds of lakes with in a hour drive if you feel like adventuring for a day to find trophy fish.
horsehunter
Posted 1/19/2018 7:52 AM (#890069 - in reply to #890019)

Just remember the older you get the closer you want to be to healthcare. No point living where you can't get to a hospital in a snowstorm. Lots of metro areas have decent fishing. I will soon have to move from the sticks toward the city but terrific fishing all along the great lakes.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 1/19/2018 8:31 AM (#890074 - in reply to #890019)

I would consider Leech or Vermilion. You may not catch a fish every time out, but your average size will be very impressive. You could likely get into 40#+ fish every year. Both lakes have lots of undeveloped shoreline, and the surrounding forests are beautiful. I have seen some pretty affordable year-round residences, it just depends on your living standards and budget.
3lksmusky
Posted 1/19/2018 9:53 AM (#890080 - in reply to #890019)
Subject: RE: Retirement home (not that kind) question.

I am sorry to hear about your health, nearby health care is a very important qualifier. I had waterfront property in Oneida county, and it is wonderful and something I will never forget. Over the years we found it necessary to sell, and bought a place near the water. Let me tell you, it is not the same as on the water. We save tax money, and the initial cost was lower, however as I get older, it is a chore to hook up the boat, launch and park, put it back on the trailer, and bring it back to the cabin. If your finances allow, and your health insurance allows you to hang it up , do it as soon as you can . My best musky bud is currently at home now with hospice, and never had the chance to retire and wind down. Do not let that happen to you. I know now that are a couple condo units on the Eagle River chain that are reasonable. Sorry to ramble, my point is , if you feel its time, and have some resources, do it as soon as you can. Best of luck.
DWags
Posted 1/19/2018 10:58 AM (#890092 - in reply to #890080)

Good post. If you want to get away from people there is a lake lot on the Gile Flowage for under $60,000 in northern iron county wi. I spent a week on there a few years ago. Not a numbers fishery but chance at a good fish and very low pressure. If you don't like crowds and want to be away from people it's an awesome place.
detroithardcore
Posted 1/19/2018 11:19 AM (#890093 - in reply to #890019)

Open your search to warm weather year round, flip flops, and saltwater fish...so many options to get old and die at the very least in warm weather and year round fishing. Everyday I wake up working my butt off all I can think about is how can I get myself back to Florida (where I lived 7 years) for good. Find a way to chase real fish and comfortable with warm weather year round.
happy hooker
Posted 1/19/2018 12:06 PM (#890099 - in reply to #890093)

I would caution against buying property on a 'stocked' Minnesota muskie lake these lakes boom and bust ask muskie guys who bought property around mile lacs during the hay day and you never know what the stocking politics will bring.
Leech area is nice many options.
I lived in Florida too 3rd highest population, hope you don't hunt you'll have 5 guys around you in a 100 yds on public land.
It's not for everyone but keep your house and buy a nice travel trailer and park it for the summer where the current hot boom bite is ST Clair,vermilion,Green Bay, or Michigan inland waters which will probably be the future hot spot.

Dadzee
Posted 1/25/2018 5:19 PM (#890553 - in reply to #890019)

I want to thank all of you so much for taking the time to reply to my post. I am sorry I have not been able to drop a PM to all of you individually, but be assured that both my wife and I are greatly appreciative of the effort and we are pouring over these.
Best-Dadzee
bucknuts
Posted 1/25/2018 5:31 PM (#890554 - in reply to #890019)
Subject: RE: Retirement home (not that kind) question.

Florida is nice in the winter, but from May to October, it's "Africa Hot"!!
wallygator
Posted 1/26/2018 5:25 PM (#890630 - in reply to #890019)

Some years ago we moved to Tomahawk and thought about living on the water.. My wife told me no way ... on a smaller lake you will know all the fish by name and get tired of catching them... We live 5 minutes from 2 different flowages and lots of lakes that are easy to get too. Pick a larger body of water like the 3 lakes chain or Eagle River chain. There are many other chains that are great to fish...
djwilliams
Posted 2/11/2018 1:06 AM (#891975 - in reply to #890019)

If you are looking in Mn I'd suggest the MLS map search feature that some realtors have. I look at places for sale on Rusty's Up North in Longville. Mark Tietjen is a good guy, and he helped me find a great mobile home. He and Rusty Lilyquist are both muskie guys. Mark's dad Dennis has a trailer just across the road from me on the east side of Leech. I understand the travel trailer plan vs. buying a permanent place in Minnesota. As a bladder cancer survivor in my 5th year of remission, and being 3 years from retirement, we are thinking about a travel trailer to explore as much as we can, fish were we want.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)