Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> O.k...bought the boat....

Reply New post
Message Subject: O.k...bought the boat....
VMS
Posted 1/19/2018 7:13 PM (#890139)
Subject: O.k...bought the boat....

Hi Everyone,

Finally bit the bullet and purchased a new (to me) rig. After many years of contemplating, I have finally decided to go glass from Aluminum. I found a 2003 ranger 617 dual console w/bubbles pushed by a 2011 Etec 150. Overall the rig is in good condition and I will be making improvements to it to bring it hopefully back to an almost new condition for the most part. I don't take delivery on it until early april as I need to get my old boat sold. It will be going up for sale mid-late february when I bring it home from storage.

So...now to start planning. The boat comes with a Humminbird 899 that is currently on the helm with the transducer off the back exterior as it has side scan capabilities. The TM is a Terrova 80lb I pilot and am wondering....would I be better served overall with the hummingbird at the bow where I can use some of the combined features of it with the motor? I am completely unfamiliar with Humminbird, but I know with I pilot, I believe there is an ability to set the motor to follow a depth contour and go? I'm clueless and just looking for some insight from those who know... Any information at this point on how this combination would work is much appreciated!!

I have an HDS 7 Gen2 that I really like the interface of and am thinking to put that on the helm and potentially glass in the transducer. I'd have a couple of holes to seal in the rear, though, but I'm thinking that shouldn't be too hard I hope... Any insight with that aspect as well would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any insight you all have out there. I've got quite a bit to learn if I go Hummingbird...

Thanks everyone!!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Ranger boat 1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Ranger boat 1.jpg (56KB - 325 downloads)
Brian Hoffies
Posted 1/19/2018 8:01 PM (#890145 - in reply to #890139)
Subject: Re: O.k...bought the boat....

Nice looking boat! I hope it serves you well for many years to come.
RLSea
Posted 1/19/2018 8:08 PM (#890146 - in reply to #890139)

Congrats! Nice looking rig! About the "follow-the-contour", it's only available on the iPilot Link. If you have that and a compatible HB, you are good to go. You can check the website to find out if your unit is compatible. (There is more than one type of 899.)
https://www.minnkotamotors.com/iPilotLinkCompatibility/
If not, the 899 is still a great unit to run from the bow, especially if you have universal sonar.
VMS
Posted 1/19/2018 8:39 PM (#890150 - in reply to #890139)

The terrova says i pilot...that is the extent I know right now, so I don't know if it has the link capabilities as of yet....

If it does not have the capabilities to run with the bird to do contour trolling etc, what will the Ipilot do for me?

Thanks

Brian Hoffies
Posted 1/19/2018 9:21 PM (#890151 - in reply to #890139)

Spot Lock.
RLSea
Posted 1/19/2018 9:21 PM (#890152 - in reply to #890139)

Ipilot uses GPS to maintain heading and speed, although it offers the option of using magnetic north as well. Depending on the vintage, it can also lock you on a spot, create and retrace a path, and return to a spot. The advantage of iPilot over the old copilot is that it is less affected by wind, current, etc. The newer version of iPilot (last year or so) is reportedly much more accurate. I have one from 2012 and its accuracy is adequate but I plan on upgrading in the future due to the accuracy issue.
VMS
Posted 1/19/2018 9:27 PM (#890153 - in reply to #890139)

I'm guessing this one is a tad older than that as the motor was an upgrade a few years ago, and am suspecting that the trolling motor and hummingbird were upgraded at that same time..

I can't wait to get acquainted with the new rig..

Steve
RLSea
Posted 1/19/2018 10:07 PM (#890156 - in reply to #890139)

I got my new-to-me Ranger last year and still having fun "retuning" it to my wants/needs.
danlaboucane
Posted 1/20/2018 6:47 AM (#890165 - in reply to #890139)

beautiful boat ,congrats have fun with it!
Fishysam
Posted 1/20/2018 8:52 AM (#890172 - in reply to #890139)

The terrova would say ipilot link, so it doesn't, it's a strand alone unit. I would try it how it is, I had hds9 with si and 999 side by side for months and I sold the hds and it's si ducer because the bird was much better and easier. With that terrova and a little knowledge/ ability you can drop the si cord in the channel of the shaft and have almost a 360 side image if you are good. Search YouTube for something like "side image transducer on terrova "

Boat looks great!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)