Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Trolling Motor Batteries

Reply New post
Message Subject: Trolling Motor Batteries
SkiNoob
Posted 10/30/2017 6:55 PM (#882796)
Subject: Trolling Motor Batteries

What are you guys running for trolling motor batteries?

I'm sure it's been covered a hundred (million) times but I'm at a loss.

I have a 24v PDv2 AP w/co-pilot. I believe it's wired with 6 or 8 gauge wire.

When we first got it (before knowing any better) we ran some "Fleet Farm Special" batteries and it worked great, I'm talking 8hrs + - no wind. Obviously nothing fancy.
I could troll 1-3mph all day long, no problem. 17ft Alum boat.

Boards upon boards on the motor failed, AP was going crazy.

Now, I can get barely half that, if that. We put two Optima blue top D34Ms in to no avail.

Batteries are older now. Time to replace.

What are you guys using?

Edited to add they are D34Ms, not 27s.

Edited by SkiNoob 10/31/2017 8:41 AM
Musky Face
Posted 10/30/2017 7:36 PM (#882805 - in reply to #882796)
Subject: Re: Trolling Motor Batteries

Duracell ultra agm group 31. Kinda spendy but they last along time! Plus they come with a 30 month warranty. I run them on a 80# terrova with a 175 alumacraft. I like knowing that I can run them all day long even with a strong wind and I don't have to worry about batteries going dead at the end of the day during primetime.

Edited by Musky Face 10/30/2017 7:37 PM
Nomadmusky
Posted 10/31/2017 8:59 AM (#882862 - in reply to #882796)
Subject: RE: Trolling Motor Batteries

I get the AGM ones at Farm and Fleet. I did the research and they are made in the USA in I believe Pennsylvania, where they make many makes and models for a lot of companies, they just put a different plastic sleeve around them and I don't want to pay $50 more for a plastic sleeve. You can actually see if you look at the housing of the batteries that many are the same coming from the same place.

I get the rectangular AGM's, because the 6 pack style ones, the math doesn't add up to me. It seems like there is less surface area in the round ones than in the rectangular ones.

The biggest stress we put on our batteries is bouncing them over the water and down the road on our trailers. With the AGM's they have a fiberglass fabric that helps hold everything together. The next biggest stress is improper charging and maintenance of our batteries.

I've used many batteries over the years, but I find I am the biggest part of the equation when it comes to the life of my batteries, not the plastic label around them. Yes you can get a bad one every now and then like anything else, but I like to have a place that has my records when I travel so that I can get it taken care of on the road and let's face it, if it wasn't a gradual failure, it's a break down the first day of a 7 day trip 4 hours from home or worse in Canada. (I broke a post off a battery the first day of a Canadian trip on rough water).

There are many options and I wish you well on your next battery purchase.

Nomad

BNelson
Posted 10/31/2017 9:14 AM (#882864 - in reply to #882862)

Duration 31 size AGMs from Farm and Fleet. ~190 bux each. Have them in both my boats. Work great.
SkiNoob
Posted 10/31/2017 9:28 AM (#882868 - in reply to #882864)

Stupid question... Does the bigger the size, i.e 27, 31, 34 mean more capacity?

My boat isn't really set up for a kicker so I'm stuck with the bow mount.
BBT
Posted 10/31/2017 9:28 AM (#882869 - in reply to #882796)

Maybe time for a new trolling motor? I own a marina and have seen several times where guys have came in replaced their batteries and still couldn't get the run time they were hoping for. put a new trolling motor on and ran better, more power and longer lasting. Sounds like you've had your share of troubles with your trolling motor and maybe due anyway. Plus you could consider going with a terrova, with the new ipilot technology I doubt you'll be disappointed.
SkiNoob
Posted 10/31/2017 9:45 AM (#882871 - in reply to #882869)

BBT - 10/31/2017 9:28 AM

Maybe time for a new trolling motor? I own a marina and have seen several times where guys have came in replaced their batteries and still couldn't get the run time they were hoping for. put a new trolling motor on and ran better, more power and longer lasting. Sounds like you've had your share of troubles with your trolling motor and maybe due anyway. Plus you could consider going with a terrova, with the new ipilot technology I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Yeah, it's getting up there in age. Should have put a RAM stabilizer mount on to begin with. Have one on there now.

I'd like a new one, do you offer 0% financing?
BBT
Posted 11/1/2017 10:18 AM (#882994 - in reply to #882871)

Pretty close to 0% we offer 100% down with delivery
Jerry Newman
Posted 11/1/2017 5:14 PM (#883067 - in reply to #882994)

https://www.lithiumpros.com/application/marine/
tcbetka
Posted 11/1/2017 6:25 PM (#883075 - in reply to #883067)

Jerry Newman - 11/1/2017 5:14 PM

https://www.lithiumpros.com/application/marine/

Wow. $1600 for one 12v battery. I knew those things were pricey, but that's really up there!
miket55
Posted 11/1/2017 8:31 PM (#883091 - in reply to #882796)

Might want to stay away from those for awhile....at least on your boat..I'd be concerned with high loads overheating the batteries. They are tempermental, and if they do "run away", your only option is liable to be going overboard.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=17&cad...

Edited by miket55 11/1/2017 8:49 PM
SkiNoob
Posted 11/1/2017 9:33 PM (#883096 - in reply to #883091)

$1600 for a battery?!!?! I have no words. That's about 10 times what I want to spend, especially when $80 Fleet Farm batteries worked fine. That is insane!
miket55
Posted 11/2/2017 9:41 AM (#883150 - in reply to #882796)

I wish there were Fleet Farm stores down in my neck of the woods.. If you can swing it, go with the AGMs
thescottith
Posted 11/2/2017 12:48 PM (#883172 - in reply to #883150)

I had the wal-mart everstarts in my tuffy...the were dated 2012 and just replaced them cause I was only getting about 5hrs on the charge. Replaced them with everstarts from walmart this year and they have held up really nice and can go all day, huge waves without any issues.
I believe a wise man here once said...it's not the battery but how you maintain them.
Always do whatever you can to keep them at a full charge, if they sit, charge them every couple months and charge em right away after your done for the day.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 1/1/2018 12:09 PM (#888612 - in reply to #883091)

miket55 - 11/1/2017 8:31 PM

Might want to stay away from those for awhile....at least on your boat..I'd be concerned with high loads overheating the batteries. They are tempermental, and if they do "run away", your only option is liable to be going overboard.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=17&cad...

mikeet55 - Don't believe everything you read about lithium ion, there are some that are way safer than any lead-acid battery. This last statement in the UL document is very valid.

"Looking Ahead
As the development of lithium-ion batteries is an active area in fundamental research
and product development, knowledge regarding the use and abuse of these products
and their possible failure modes is still growing. Therefore, it is important that
safety standards continue to evolve to help drive toward the safe commercial use of
these energy storage devices as they power more and more products."

A 30Vdc 67AH Lithium Ion battery pack of 8ea. 4.2V cells @ 38lbs can outperform a 24Vdc 155AH lead-acid VRLA battery pack of 2ea. 12V jars @ ~ 183lbs, e.g. at any load level

What are high loads? How about 460A @10 minutes for the Li-ion and ~5 minutes for the VRLA..... Trolling motors are not high ampere loads. Lithium Ion can sit discharged for months without damage. With a 30Vdc 46A charger (1600W) they can be fully recharged from full discharge to 100% state-of-charge in ~2hrs.

The lead-acid battery industry is very nervous right now.

How do I know this stuff? Its what I've been doing for last ~ 1 1/2 years.

Yes, commercial off-the shelf prices are ridiculous right now. They will come down.

Have fun!
Al
miket55
Posted 1/1/2018 12:49 PM (#888618 - in reply to #882796)

"As the development of lithium-ion batteries is an active area in fundamental research
and product development, knowledge regarding the use and abuse of these products
and their possible failure modes is still growing. Therefore, it is important that
safety standards continue to evolve to help drive toward the safe commercial use of
these energy storage devices as they power more and more products."

No doubt a lot of the issues will be resolved, meanwhile I just don't want to be the first kid on my block to try them.. The overnight air express operators have lost several airframes over Li-ion batteries that have caught fire. Had a couple colleagues who were lucky to make it to the ground with such a fire.

Edited by miket55 1/1/2018 12:50 PM
ESOX Maniac
Posted 1/2/2018 12:01 AM (#888673 - in reply to #882796)

Ok! Please send me a PM w/ link(s) to these incidents as I would be interested in the forensic root cause analysis. The NTB & FAA investigations should be a a matter of public record. We are not talking about hover boards either. I prefer facts....

Have fun!
Al
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)