Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Where would you go?

Message Subject: Where would you go?
Fish4muskie
Posted 12/5/2017 8:05 AM (#885945)
Subject: Where would you go?

I need some feedback. My girlfriend has a son that lives in the twin cities. We live about 5 hours away and like to go up every month or so for long weekends with him. I was thinking about pulling the boat up there next year and taking them out but know nothing about the local waters. I will do some research etc and would like to ask you guys first for your recommendations on what bodies of water I should check out. I mostly just fish for Muskie anymore but some bass or pike would be nice distraction for them. They don’t fish much...lol. It doesn’t have to be in city limits or anything..maybe something within a couple hours from the city would be great. Thanks for any feedback
BNelson
Posted 12/5/2017 8:47 AM (#885950 - in reply to #885945)
Subject: Re: Where would you go?

might be worth hiring a guide for a day or 2. Bob Turgeon, Ryan McMahon and Joe Foxx are a few that come to mind...also you might want to fish early in the morning...metro lakes can be a zoo with pleasure boaters if weather is nice...
bllhogg
Posted 12/5/2017 9:25 AM (#885959 - in reply to #885945)
Subject: RE: Where would you go?

If you are willing to drive two hours, I would go to Miltona or Lobster in a heartbeat. Otherwise there are about 15-20 lakes within 30 minutes of Minneapolis to choose from. St.Croix river too.
W8N4SNO
Posted 12/5/2017 11:49 AM (#885983 - in reply to #885945)

Fish4muskie, I can help you by marking maps of some of the local metro lakes if that is something of interest. Water temps can get too high at times in the metro though (July and August). PM me if you would like.
Sudszee
Posted 12/5/2017 12:15 PM (#885991 - in reply to #885983)

Mille lacs.
Tiger222
Posted 12/8/2017 3:46 AM (#886358 - in reply to #885945)

Depends on time of year. Early and late in the year Bald eagle is good before it gets choked out with weeds. Lot of bass and bigger pike in there. Lake independence is a good option too being it's a smaller lake and quicker to learn. Not the numbers it used to have, but there seems to be a 51-52 incher coming out of there every month, more small pike starting to show up. Lake harriet seems to have better fishing in early fall to close, Calhoun also right in Minneapolis with less muskies than the 300 acre Harriet. Lake Minnetonka is the most popular one, but recreational boaters June- August is insane. If it's hot you could head north and hit up East and West rush lake, decent amount of muskies, really good shot at a 35"+ pike. There are 20 some tiger muskie lakes too, Lake Elmo North east metro has the state record, they feed on ciscoes in there, big pike too. Bryant, Johanna, Clear, are also good tiger lakes. Might be worth investing $20 and pick up the Minnesota Musky guide- at a sporting goods store, cabela's, Joe's, thorne bros, blue ribbon bait, even walmart.
Tiger222
Posted 12/8/2017 3:49 AM (#886359 - in reply to #886358)

Tiger222 - 12/8/2017 3:46 AM

Depends on time of year. Early and late in the year Bald eagle is good before it gets choked out with weeds. Lot of bass and bigger pike in there. Lake independence is a good option too being it's a smaller lake and quicker to learn. Not the numbers it used to have, but there seems to be a 51-52 incher coming out of there every month, more small pike starting to show up. Lake harriet seems to have better fishing in early fall to close, Calhoun also right in Minneapolis with less muskies than the 300 acre Harriet. Lake Minnetonka is the most popular one, but recreational boaters June- August is insane. If it's hot you could head north and hit up East and West rush lake, decent amount of muskies, really good shot at a 35"+ pike. There are 20 some tiger muskie lakes too, Lake Elmo North east metro has the state record, they feed on ciscoes in there, big pike too. Bryant, Johanna, Clear, are also good tiger lakes. Might be worth investing $20 and pick up the Minnesota Musky guide- at a sporting goods store, cabela's, Joe's, thorne bros, blue ribbon bait, even walmart.

Not worth it to drive far, but if you did, I second Miltona. Mille lacs or Vermillion if you want a monster, not numhers lakes though.
Fish4muskie
Posted 12/8/2017 6:15 AM (#886361 - in reply to #885945)

Thank you for the information. I definitely will buy the book and do some more research. Have 5-6 months before it’s even an option lol. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks again.
kap
Posted 12/8/2017 4:33 PM (#886414 - in reply to #885945)

Every Muskie lake in the Twin Cities is decent and all the pure strain ones hold 50" fish.
Most get pressured you can reduce the pressure by getting out early.
So fish the one or two that are close to where you are staying, you may catch a fish if you put your time in and do a good fiqure 8
Tiger222
Posted 12/14/2017 2:47 AM (#886978 - in reply to #886414)

kap - 12/8/2017 4:33 PM

Every Muskie lake in the Twin Cities is decent and all the pure strain ones hold 50" fish.
Most get pressured you can reduce the pressure by getting out early.
So fish the one or two that are close to where you are staying, you may catch a fish if you put your time in and do a good fiqure 8

Right on. I would fish a few that are close by, basically going to get the same results if you were to travel farther. If one lake didn't hold a 50, it would be Rebecca. If I could realistically fish any of the metro lakes, it would be the North East area White Bear, Forrest, Bald Eagle, St. Croix, Lake Elmo for Tigers..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)