Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> OH BOY......

Message Subject: OH BOY......
tkuntz
Posted 9/28/2017 1:38 PM (#879547 - in reply to #878145)
Subject: Re: OH BOY......

Looks like someone learned a lesson about casting at a snake swimming across the surface. But then again, maybe not
tcbetka
Posted 10/5/2017 8:23 PM (#880366 - in reply to #878145)

"I will love him and pet him and name him George."
pete619
Posted 11/9/2017 9:18 PM (#883946 - in reply to #879522)

JMacD - 9/28/2017 9:03 AM

3x northern water snake

http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/nersip.htm

X100.....I have been bitten by these ( and they do bite early and often) and muskies, muskies are way worse. Those snakes are tough, I wouldve just cut the hooks, it would survive.
BornToFish1
Posted 11/10/2017 7:26 AM (#883956 - in reply to #883946)

Greetings,

I took an undergraduate course many years ago in the science of herpetology - the study of amphibians and reptiles. The instructor had us conduct an experiment with common water snakes to determine how the snake orients itself relative to water. For example, did the snakes orient themselves relative to the position of the sun, the moon, use a visual cue (i.e. see the water) or use the grade of the soil.

I recall that the water snakes that we caught (Natrix Sipedon Sipedon) were much darker than the snake shown in the photograph of the original post - almost black.

We conducted this experiment each day for more than a week. The snakes were kept in a "cage" that sort of looked like a kid's plastic swimming pool. After being acclimated (i.e. calmed down) in the "cage", we would lift the "cage" and note which direction the snake went.

When it was all said and done, we concluded that the snakes first looked for someone to bite and then went whichever direction they felt like going.

Good fishing and tight lines!!
T3clay
Posted 11/21/2017 10:54 PM (#884860 - in reply to #878145)

I like that^
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)