Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Sucker prices

Message Subject: Sucker prices
Gander Mt Guide
Posted 11/2/2017 10:36 AM (#883152 - in reply to #881632)
Subject: Re: Sucker prices

"but I want to fool the fish not feed them what they want with a hook attached I don't really see any triggering skill in that. To each his own."

I guess I'm done using fatheads and leeches for walleyes.
Cfollow
Posted 11/2/2017 12:09 PM (#883166 - in reply to #883152)

Gander Mt Guide - 11/2/2017 10:36 AM

"but I want to fool the fish not feed them what they want with a hook attached I don't really see any triggering skill in that. To each his own."

I guess I'm done using fatheads and leeches for walleyes.

Gander Guide hit the nail on the head! Why some consider catching the apex predator on live bait "easy" but will have zero problem using live bait to catch a walleye always makes me laugh.
happy hooker
Posted 11/2/2017 6:57 PM (#883208 - in reply to #883166)

I use leeches and minnows for walleye because I treat walleye like food I'd drag a net if the dnr let us ,,rather catch a 2 1/2 pounder then a 7 pounder. Get the limit and get out and get them covered in batter and live bait works better for making that fish fry happen and our dnr regs on most lakes see this has a harvest fish.
In Minnesota the muskie is managed has a trophy species with its size limits. if I'm going to make the commitment to put more time in chasing a trophy I want to do it in a way that makes ME feel like I won that trophy I beat him.
Feed me an Apple ill eat it
Feed me some artificial fruit and I bite into it,,Ill laugh and say "you got me"
Feed me an Apple with poison injected into it and you didn't fool me you didn't best me you simply gave me real food with something hidden inside.
To me sucker fishing is feeding the fish with a hook and I don't want to catch a trophy species that way.
Another example would be turkey hunting shoot em at 30 yds with a shotgun after you worked hard calling them in. Not like out west where you can shoot them with a scoped rifle from 100 yds away.
Just a preference,,, "nobody's talking about banning sucker fishing"

I hate trolling too,,,but then again I'm having fun "trolling" for an argument here.

Edited by happy hooker 11/2/2017 7:10 PM
esoxaddict
Posted 11/2/2017 7:16 PM (#883211 - in reply to #883208)

happy hooker - 11/2/2017 6:57 PM

I use leeches and minnows for walleye because I treat walleye like food I'd drag a net if the dnr let us ,,rather catch a 2 1/2 pounder then a 7 pounder. Get the limit and get out and get them covered in batter and live bait works better for making that fish fry happen and our dnr regs on most lakes see this has a harvest fish.
In Minnesota the muskie is managed has a trophy species with its size limits. if I'm going to make the commitment to put more time in chasing a trophy I want to do it in a way that makes ME feel like I won that trophy I beat him.
Feed me some artificial fruit and I bite into it,,Ill laugh and say "you got me"
Feed me an Apple with poison injected into it and you didn't fool me you didn't best me you simply gave me real food with something hidden inside.
To me sucker fishing is feeding the fish with a hook and I don't want to catch a trophy species that way.
Another example would be turkey hunting shoot em at 30 yds with a shotgun after you worked hard calling them in. Not like out west where you can shoot them with a scoped rifle from 100 yrs away.

I hate trolling too,,,but then again I'm having fun "trolling" for an argument here.

No matter how we catch them, in the end we just managed to fool... a FISH.

I don't know about you, but I don't feel all that brilliant when one hits the net despite what I went through to get it there. To me, sucker fishing is just another method by which I might, on any given day, get to hold up a slimy stinky fish for a picture and pretend I accomplished something beyond goofing off all day when there were at least a dozen other far more important things I really should have been doing.

Edited by esoxaddict 11/2/2017 7:18 PM
happy hooker
Posted 11/2/2017 7:55 PM (#883218 - in reply to #883211)

EA,, cmon it's MORE then a fish!!! And we have the bumper stickers to prove it
mnmusky
Posted 11/2/2017 8:04 PM (#883221 - in reply to #883211)

esoxaddict - 11/2/2017 7:16 PM

Another example would be turkey hunting shoot em at 30 yds with a shotgun after you worked hard calling them in. Not like out west where you can shoot them with a scoped rifle from 100 yrs away.

I don't know about you, but I don't feel all that brilliant when one hits the net despite what I went through to get it there. To me, sucker fishing is just another method by which I might, on any given day, get to hold up a slimy stinky fish for a picture and pretend I accomplished something beyond goofing off all day when there were at least a dozen other far more important things I really should have been doing.

What you said makes me think pulling an animal by the face with a string seems silly.
ToddM
Posted 11/2/2017 8:53 PM (#883226 - in reply to #881632)

HH, i could quick strike rig a gino's east pizza and catch you. There is no such thing as a red headed indian, no net for you!
miket55
Posted 11/2/2017 10:46 PM (#883235 - in reply to #883211)

esoxaddict - 11/2/2017 8:16 PM

That made me blow beer out my nose... and that would be alcohol abuse in my book!!lol
jchiggins
Posted 11/2/2017 11:39 PM (#883237 - in reply to #881632)

This is early winternet. Nice work!
happy hooker
Posted 11/3/2017 6:47 AM (#883242 - in reply to #883237)

Todd
Give me a piece of Lou Malnattis pizza and "tell" me it has poison on it,,and I will still risk taking a couple bites!!!
jonnysled
Posted 11/3/2017 7:27 AM (#883245 - in reply to #881632)

1. how long does it take on average for a big musky to eat a sucker and find its way into the net
2. how long does it take for a big king salmon to eat a bait and find its way into the net

wing shooting calls my name when it's sucker time ... i'll believe the guys who say that sucker fishing is a science, because they demand to be believed.
horsehunter
Posted 11/3/2017 7:42 AM (#883247 - in reply to #881632)

I've never fished with suckers but have nothing against it as long as a quick strike rig is used and fish are not gut hooked. I would have to drive 30 miles to get a $10 sucker and with the money I have invested in lures my wife would have me committed if I did.

Edit: the thing that amazes me is the number of people willing to put down intelligent trolling that are willing to drag a sucker. In Ontario with the exception of the great lakes we are limited to one rod so casting a lure while dragging a sucker is not an option. ( former caster with 74 year old arms,back and shoulders )

Edited by horsehunter 11/3/2017 7:55 AM
BNelson
Posted 11/3/2017 7:50 AM (#883248 - in reply to #883247)

Yah Sled. Walking around in the woods w a dog flushing defenseless birds and shooting them with a 12 gauge is so scientific. Classic Sled bs. Where does anyone claim there is science to sucker fishing??

Edited by BNelson 11/3/2017 7:51 AM
jonnysled
Posted 11/3/2017 7:51 AM (#883249 - in reply to #883248)

you come to a whistle quicker than a dog ...

nice edit LOL ...

can't get this on television ...

Edited by jonnysled 11/3/2017 7:52 AM
BNelson
Posted 11/3/2017 7:57 AM (#883250 - in reply to #883249)

Trolling as usual and missing the mark.
jonnysled
Posted 11/3/2017 7:59 AM (#883251 - in reply to #883250)

first spot of the day and caught one quick ...
BNelson
Posted 11/3/2017 7:59 AM (#883252 - in reply to #883251)

Better than you did salmon fishing I hear. Tell us the science in bird hunting again!!??

Edited by BNelson 11/3/2017 8:01 AM
jonnysled
Posted 11/3/2017 8:03 AM (#883253 - in reply to #883252)

always good to know there are people that are more interested in what i do than i am ...
BNelson
Posted 11/3/2017 8:03 AM (#883254 - in reply to #883253)

Looks like I caught one too.
horsehunter
Posted 11/3/2017 8:03 AM (#883255 - in reply to #881632)

I'm not a hunter but love watching a good dog work, be it a flushing dog, retriever, border collie, and best of all my German Sheppard showing the ivory to protect my property.
jonnysled
Posted 11/3/2017 8:05 AM (#883256 - in reply to #883255)

horsehunter - 11/3/2017 8:03 AM

I'm not a hunter but love watching a good dog work, be it a flushing dog, retriever, border collie, and best of all my German Sheppard showing the ivory to protect my property.

Bingo!
jonnysled
Posted 11/3/2017 8:07 AM (#883257 - in reply to #883254)

BNelson - 11/3/2017 8:03 AM

Looks like I caught one too.

of course you did ...
happy hooker
Posted 11/3/2017 8:22 AM (#883261 - in reply to #883257)

Todd
No such thing has a redheaded Indian??????????????
Your wrong!!!
Sonny Jurgensen is in the hall of fame and played 18 seasons for the Redskins!!!

Edited by happy hooker 11/3/2017 8:24 AM
horsehunter
Posted 11/3/2017 8:27 AM (#883264 - in reply to #881632)

My son in law is a member of the Lake Ontario Hunting Retriever Asoc. and I like watching the dogs train and compete. I often considered just going out hunting with him and taking video of the dog but duck hunters endure even worse weather than muskie fishermen at ungodly hours. If I'm driving and see a sign saying sheep dog trials I'm pulled in every time.
ToddM
Posted 11/3/2017 9:15 AM (#883267 - in reply to #883261)

happy hooker - 11/3/2017 8:22 AM

Todd
No such thing has a redheaded Indian??????????????
Your wrong!!!
Sonny Jurgensen is in the hall of fame and played 18 seasons for the Redskins!!!

Well then go grab that gill net running pizza!
Gander Mt Guide
Posted 11/3/2017 9:29 AM (#883269 - in reply to #883267)

" if I'm going to make the commitment to put more time in chasing a trophy I want to do it in a way that makes ME feel like I won that trophy I beat him."

When you commit to putting in more time, why limit yourself in methods of fishing that are undoubtedly successful? If I remember correctly, MN only allows 1 line per angler, correct? Then your DNR is forcing you to make a choice on how to fish, WI allows us the ability to use both a sucker and cast and the two are a deadly combination if done correctly. So I can see your point if you have to make that choice.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)