Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Catching river muskys

Message Subject: Catching river muskys
WVAngler
Posted 10/24/2017 5:10 PM (#882283)
Subject: Catching river muskys

Hi everyone,

I am new to musky fishing and the forum and have never caught a musky. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on musky fishing shallow barren rivers under heavy fishing pressure. The river is shallow averaging about 12 feet deep with one loch that get to about 20. It also has no structure except for rocks. For forage there is shiners, suckers, crappie, and walleye.

Thanks for all the help!

sharptoothwv
Posted 10/24/2017 5:26 PM (#882285 - in reply to #882283)
Subject: RE: Catching river muskys

Fish anywhere there is a current break like bends in the river or large rocks etc. soft tail glide baits are usually always good in a small river I would start with simple sucker colors and go from there.
PRMuskyHunter
Posted 10/24/2017 9:20 PM (#882311 - in reply to #882283)

Second what sharptooth says. Make sure not to overlook feeder creeks as well. I’ve also had more luck focusing on dawn and dusk.
PAriverangler
Posted 10/25/2017 10:33 AM (#882348 - in reply to #882283)

Hi WVangler. Three years ago I got hooked on musky fishing in the rivers of SW PA. Some days it seems so easy but other days impossible. Don't get discouraged! Each time you are out on the water is an opportunity to improve your knowledge and skills. Generally I look for creek mouths, and transitions from deep holes to riffles. Not sure what part of WV you are fishing but if it is the northern part then I'm in the same area as you. Good luck out there. PM me if you want to talk some specifics.
TannerAE
Posted 10/25/2017 12:18 PM (#882362 - in reply to #882283)
Subject: Re: Catching river muskys

good advise above. I cant tell you exactly what to do becouse i am not fishing there with you but, like anywhere you are fishing pay attention to the conditions given each day and always ask the question WHY. For example: "why did i see fish early in the morning and not in the middle of the day when the sun was out". Muskys are hard to catch but they are not impossible and they will eventually show themselves. If you don't have any luck for quite some time then try somewhere else or do something different, no sense in beating your head against a wall. Like Larry Dahlberg says, you must be relentless not patient. start by fishing water that is deep relative to the area and concentrate in areas that you see baitfish like suckers. Each river is different. keep at it and you will get one
horsehunter
Posted 10/25/2017 12:42 PM (#882364 - in reply to #882283)

I find a lot of times the fish are tight to the bank and your casts also have to be within 16 inches of the bank . Blowdowns and tree roots should be checked.
PAriverangler
Posted 10/25/2017 1:48 PM (#882371 - in reply to #882364)

I agree with horsehunter. The closer your cast lands to the bank the better.
MartinTD
Posted 10/26/2017 6:37 AM (#882401 - in reply to #882283)

Log jams are where I've caught the majority of my river muskies. They will hold on both the front side where the current is crashing into the logs and in the slack water immediately behind. A 9" Suick (I like the HI plastic ones) is my go to bait in those situations no matter what time of year it is.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)