Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Botched net job?

Message Subject: Botched net job?
gemini
Posted 8/20/2017 2:22 PM (#874957)
Subject: Botched net job?

So 2 guys are out fishing. Player A hooks into one, so player B grabs the net and gets ready. Player A gets the fish to the boat and gives player B a shot to get the fish in the net, but as player B goes to net the fish, the net catches on the rod holder and player B losses his chance. The fish pulls 10 ft of line off and then pops off. So, did player B botch the net job even though the net never got wet?
mastical
Posted 8/20/2017 2:52 PM (#874958 - in reply to #874957)
Subject: RE: Botched net job?

id say yes, ive done this before except the net got hooked on a cleat and the fish hit the net, the dawg snagged the net and the fish came off. I felt terrible but hey it happens. Now i hold the bag with one hand until its time to dunk it.
horsehunter
Posted 8/20/2017 3:24 PM (#874960 - in reply to #874957)
Subject: Re: Botched net job?

Worse than a botched net job is the botched photo. This was particularly so back in the days of film. I did a beautiful night time net job on my partners 56 inch fat pig but had never looked at his camera and didn't know the flash was not on. I'm glad it wasn't a PB and now use my own camera.

Edited by horsehunter 8/20/2017 3:29 PM
tundrawalker00
Posted 8/20/2017 3:34 PM (#874962 - in reply to #874960)

Yep. You had one job...
River2Stream
Posted 8/20/2017 3:57 PM (#874966 - in reply to #874962)

As unfortunate and unlucky of a situation as that was I would say it was botched. To ensure not catching on anything on the boat I always gather the extra length of net up and hold it against the handle until the net is over the gunwale and in the water. Depending on how big the net is, it helps with the water resistance when scooping as well. This in no way is a new concept, but a lesson learned from almost botching a net job. Experience is everything.
FishFearMe
Posted 8/20/2017 7:00 PM (#874979 - in reply to #874957)

Yes. They guy fighting the fish has enough to worry about. The guy holding the net has one assignment, to get the fish in it.
bigbulls
Posted 8/20/2017 8:21 PM (#874983 - in reply to #874957)

I agree on holding the bag. It's funny because I've been watching a lot of YouTube vids and rarely see it. It was a lesson we were all taught when I was growing up salmon fishing.

Were you guys trolling? I'm wondering why there was a rod holder in the way. I'm pretty anal about keeping boat clean, just in case of these situations. Musky nets are huge, and it doesn't take much to catch the bag and interfere with a clean net job.
Jeremy
Posted 8/20/2017 10:53 PM (#874991 - in reply to #874983)

bigbulls - 8/20/2017 8:21 PM

I agree on holding the bag. It's funny because I've been watching a lot of YouTube vids and rarely see it. It was a lesson we were all taught when I was growing up salmon fishing.

Were you guys trolling? I'm wondering why there was a rod holder in the way. I'm pretty anal about keeping boat clean, just in case of these situations. Musky nets are huge, and it doesn't take much to catch the bag and interfere with a clean net job.

Exactly. Keep that bag held out of the water and never chase the fish. A quick dip and the rod guy leads him into it...

Practice beforehand!! I've pizzed more than one friend off by insisting on this but they come around. It's a no-brainer in my boat!!
Musky_Mo16
Posted 8/20/2017 10:55 PM (#874992 - in reply to #874957)

If your casting id blame the guy who left the rod holder in. Wether fishing for esox or panfish a clean boat makes life a million times easier. Kinda like when I left a tackle tray open on the deck of my boat and stepped on it and fell to the floor.
miket55
Posted 8/20/2017 11:45 PM (#874993 - in reply to #874957)

It's about "situational awareness"... the net man dropped the ball..
jlong
Posted 8/21/2017 7:39 AM (#875003 - in reply to #874957)

Why the need to place blame? Its a TEAM sport. Learn from the error and move on.
BNelson
Posted 8/21/2017 7:51 AM (#875004 - in reply to #875003)

If youve never botched a net job you havent been fishing long enough. sh*t happens.
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 8/21/2017 8:41 AM (#875015 - in reply to #875004)

BNelson - 8/21/2017 8:51 AM

If youve never botched a net job you havent been fishing long enough. sh*t happens.

Yes sir.

Move on and keep fishing.
ToddM
Posted 8/21/2017 9:18 AM (#875027 - in reply to #874957)

It is an awareness issue. It happens, sucks but it happens. Be aware with the net, control the bag until the fish is ready to net. As the person fighting the fish, be aware of the person with the net. Case in point saturday, i am fighting a fish and my partner hooks the net on the steering arm on the motor. I see it he doesnt at first. I calmly point it out, fish is near ready i control the fish until it can be netted.

Photos, yep, i cannot believe how many people there are that cannot take a picture, whether it be cutting off the person, fish, into the sun, crooked. It isnt rocket science but you think it would be.

Edited by ToddM 8/21/2017 9:23 AM
supertrollr
Posted 8/21/2017 12:35 PM (#875060 - in reply to #874957)

if your point is to find who is directly responsible for the fish loss,my vote go to the net guy.but im sure it was not is plan to get tangled in the rod holder.i think a lil war happened in the boat after this story no?i hope you don't swing him whit a pounder ,#*#* happen when you are noob are too excited
musky-skunk
Posted 8/21/2017 3:36 PM (#875078 - in reply to #874957)

It's definitely a muff up but it's an honest mistake and sadly just part of the game. I've seen the cleat snagged by both me and my partners... so far we've just gotten lucky that it hasn't cost us any fish. Positive note is that I stay FAR away from the cleats when handling the net now and I'm sure your boat partner has learned that lesson as well.
North of 8
Posted 8/21/2017 6:49 PM (#875112 - in reply to #874957)

I was the guy on the net and did the same thing, only I was able to get it off the rod holder and into the water quickly. We were casting but the boat owner had left six rod holders in place from a previous trip trolling on Green Bay. I netted one the next day and made sure I had the bag in one hand and the handle in the other. My fault for not having thought that through before we had a fish on. I had checked net location, etc., but never thought about what an obstacle all those rod holders could be.
happy hooker
Posted 8/21/2017 7:28 PM (#875114 - in reply to #875112)

Don't mean this in any insulting way but "who cares"
If it's in a tournament or personnel best or first fish I can see that but if not so what,,you weren't going to eat it,,you got a nice fight a live in the moment thrill,got a look and a size guesstimate, you accomplished the most skillful part of the whole thing which is tracking and fooling the fish into striking,,a scrapbook memory is all you sacrificed. You got to live the thrill.
In my opinion the fish and your friend did you a favor you didn't have to mess with hooks and you got back in the water casting sooner for another one.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/22/2017 9:37 AM (#875172 - in reply to #874957)

Botched 2 net jobs in my life...for the same person. I used to pride myself on having never screwed one up, but that just made it more embarrassing. Good thing the guy has caught his PB 53.5 and several other big ones in my boat to make up for it.
NPike
Posted 8/22/2017 5:41 PM (#875219 - in reply to #875114)

happy hooker - 8/21/2017 8:28 PM

If it's in a tournament or personnel best or first fish I can see that but if not so what,,you weren't going to eat it,,you got a nice fight a live in the moment thrill,got a look and a size guesstimate, you accomplished the most skillful part of the whole thing which is tracking and fooling the fish into striking,,a scrapbook memory is all you sacrificed. You got to live the thrill.
In my opinion the fish and your friend did you a favor you didn't have to mess with hooks and you got back in the water casting sooner for another one.

X2 I agree. Hey you saw the fish up close.
NPike
Posted 8/22/2017 5:44 PM (#875220 - in reply to #875219)

NPike - 8/22/2017 6:41 PM

happy hooker - 8/21/2017 8:28 PM

X2 I agree. Hey you saw the fish up close. This happens more often to me cause I usually fish alone which can complicate the netting situation when you have a good on. No sense blaming myself.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)