Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Boat & motor value for state sales tax?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Boat & motor value for state sales tax?
Hoffy
Posted 8/24/2017 6:00 AM (#875360)
Subject: Boat & motor value for state sales tax?

Purchased a 2015 Lund 1875 Pro Guide with a 90 Merc.

My state charges sales tax on the boat only. What is the best way to determine the value of the boat, trailer and engine? What's a 90 Merc with tiller assist worth?

Thanks
VMS
Posted 8/24/2017 6:20 AM (#875362 - in reply to #875360)
Subject: Re: Boat & motor value for state sales tax?

Hiya,

I'd go to NADA values or go to a local dealer and ask them to get a value for you. I believe they use a different book for valuing the rigs they sell and bring in,

My gut says Steve Worrall will know that answer quite well as he has worked with various companies in the business for many many years...

Steve
bbradley
Posted 8/24/2017 8:50 AM (#875371 - in reply to #875360)
Subject: RE: Boat & motor value for state sales tax?

Hoffy - 8/24/2017 6:00 AM

Purchased a 2015 Lund 1875 Pro Guide with a 90 Merc.

My state charges sales tax on the boat only. What is the best way to determine the value of the boat, trailer and engine? What's a 90 Merc with tiller assist worth?

Thanks

Depending on hours and what you have for electronics, I would say its worth around that 28-29K range.
whynot
Posted 8/24/2017 12:30 PM (#875398 - in reply to #875360)

Just tell them the trailer is worth $500 is my thought. They don't dig into it or question it in my experience.
Musky Brian
Posted 8/24/2017 4:08 PM (#875411 - in reply to #875398)

......Illinois will dig into your value, at least on your boat. And will go as far as to contact your seller you worked with. There's an associated fine if you get caught misrepresenting what you paid.

ToddC
Posted 8/24/2017 8:51 PM (#875435 - in reply to #875411)

Musky Brian - 8/24/2017 4:08 PM

......Illinois will dig into your value, at least on your boat. And will go as far as to contact your seller you worked with. There's an associated fine if you get caught misrepresenting what you paid.

Seriously? I've lived in IL all my life & have bought & sold boats & have friends that have as well and I've never heard of this happening. With the current state of affairs here I doubt if they have the manpower to do this.

Heck, I begged them this spring to take my money for turkey permits for my daughter & me. They had hundreds of permits left but would not sell me any because "it was past the deadline" And we wonder why this state is in such financial ruin.......
Musky Brian
Posted 8/24/2017 10:15 PM (#875442 - in reply to #875435)

ToddC - 8/24/2017 8:51 PM

Musky Brian - 8/24/2017 4:08 PM

Seriously? I've lived in IL all my life & have bought & sold boats & have friends that have as well and I've never heard of this happening. With the current state of affairs here I doubt if they have the manpower to do this.

Heck, I begged them this spring to take my money for turkey permits for my daughter & me. They had hundreds of permits left but would not sell me any because "it was past the deadline" And we wonder why this state is in such financial ruin.......

yup, they have a specific department dedicated to just that. I hadn't heard of it either, and had bought multiple boats out of state. Then I got a not so fun piece of mail one day....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)