Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Canadian Fishing Trips

Message Subject: Canadian Fishing Trips
redskeet100
Posted 8/16/2017 3:32 PM (#874545)
Subject: Canadian Fishing Trips

Just curious how people fish that only get 1 to 2 trips up North per year. Do you just pound the spots that you have caught or raised fish based on the current pattern (wind, weather, weed growth, water temps & levels) or do you move and try new spots when the regular spots are not working? What % of your day/trip is trying new spots?

Also, when it is calm and flat , do you fish the most recent wind pattern side of structure or circle around it, if possible, looking for fish?

I get in the habit of just continuing to pound the stuff that has worked for me thinking that eventually they will show up. In a sense, I am failing to adjust in these conditions, but when the fish seem nowhere to be found I tend to have a low confidence in all areas so trying something new seems like a waste of time.

Thuawk
Posted 8/16/2017 3:45 PM (#874547 - in reply to #874545)
Subject: Re: Canadian Fishing Trips

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!! And as far as trying new spots when the bite is crap that's not a good barometer for how good a spot can be. I actually enjoy working new areas when it's slow to learn them, alot of the time it's sunny and yiu can really get a feel for how a spot is laid out.
BNelson
Posted 8/16/2017 3:59 PM (#874548 - in reply to #874545)

spots change, pressure can change a spot, rustys eating most of the weeds etc... we fish a lot of new water/spots each trip.. mixing in the old ones, with the new ones... when it is hot and flat and you don't think fish are all that active, as stated above that is a great time to fish new stuff esp rocks, figure out where the ones you can hit are, lay down icons etc... then come back when fish are rolling to see what is on them... I'm a firm believer in "timing is everything" when on the water. A bay, or rock point, or island might be void of life one pass and 4 hrs later it is crawling... always good to learn and fish new spots.
NPike
Posted 8/16/2017 5:02 PM (#874556 - in reply to #874548)

I sure wish I could get up north "only" 1ce or 2ce a year. Maybe once every 3 to 5 years if lucky.
Pointerpride102
Posted 8/16/2017 8:30 PM (#874592 - in reply to #874556)

Don't put unreasonable expectations on yourself. Doing so sets you up for having a disappointing trip. Enjoy your time.
redskeet100
Posted 8/17/2017 8:46 AM (#874621 - in reply to #874545)

"spots change" Yes, I have many spots that were unbelievable for 5-6 years, and now they are ghost towns.

I usually take it hard having bad weeks, but I understand that sometimes the weather is not in your favor or it is just not your week. One thing I do when it is sunny and flat, I go to all the reefs and mark them out so I know the "shape" and where I should be fishing. I try lots of new spots just to look at the structure.

I was just curious on others game plan when things don't set up like you want them.
BNelson
Posted 8/17/2017 8:57 AM (#874623 - in reply to #874621)

sounds like you have a good plan, personally I try to fish less spots, but fish them more x per day... as you said, weather trumps all...but if there are guys in your camp catching a lot of fish, and you are out at the same times... no reason you can't either...at times when fish are 'off' and not chasing bucktails and topwater, a big crank or jerkbait banged off the rocks is great at scratching out some hits and locating fish ...follows to me are gold...gotta know where they are when they start to bite.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)