Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Ever wonder what bug makes that loud buzzing?

Message Subject: Ever wonder what bug makes that loud buzzing?
Jomusky
Posted 9/1/2003 7:02 PM (#80315)
Subject: Ever wonder what bug makes that loud buzzing?

It's a Cicada, like the jigging lure.

Check out more info at:
http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/fauna/Michigan_Cicadas/Michigan/I...
There are many pages out there with more info.

It finally came to me to do a search on the internet to find out more about them. When I was a kid my dad said it was the power lines making the noise when it got hot out???? I never believed him though.

Plitz.....
Posted 9/1/2003 7:22 PM (#80316 - in reply to #80315)
Subject: RE: Ever wonder what bug makes that loud buzzing?

I always knew them as june bugs !!!!!!
Jomusky
Posted 9/1/2003 7:43 PM (#80318 - in reply to #80316)

Cicadas are usaully high in trees and make the load buzzing during the hot summer days.
June bugs come out at night during May and June and are attracted to lights. They are no where near as loud as a Cicadas. June bugs just make their noise with their wings while male Cicadas have sound chambers in their belly which they use to attract females for mating.

Wish I could just make noise and females would come to me to mate.
MuskieMedic
Posted 9/1/2003 8:47 PM (#80323 - in reply to #80315)

Cicadas also have a cycle I believe every seven years where they are very active.
ToddM
Posted 9/1/2003 10:23 PM (#80329 - in reply to #80315)

It's actually every 17 years. I do see them in our trees every year but about 10 years ago, they were around like the black flies up north were last year. It was all over the news. I picked one up off the hood of my suburban friday and gave it a toss so it could fly back up into the tree. They is a big ugly assed bug for sure.
davep
Posted 9/2/2003 8:54 AM (#80341 - in reply to #80329)

The 17yr Cicadas that ToddM is talking about are different looking than the "dog day" cicadas you see and hear every year. The "dag day" or yearly ones are greenish and make that familiar rattling noise. It can get pretty loud too. The 17yr ones are black with red eyes and make a twirling noise. They are funny as hell because there is so many of them and they always try landing on you thinking you are a tree. Harmless and entertaining. When they come, they all come at once and last for a month or two. There is actually a variant of the 17 yr cicada that come about every 13yrs as well. Southern Illinois had them last year. It was wierd with both the regular cicadas in one area and then the black ones in another area making that whirling sound. I have it on video. Kinda funny.
Ranger
Posted 9/2/2003 8:55 AM (#80342 - in reply to #80329)

I think you mean a type of locust, though cicadas make similar noise. This is a harmless bug that all native Missourians know very well. There are actually two swarming cycles, one is like every 7 years and the other is every 17 years. I can recall living in St. Louis, MO in the mid-80s when both cycles hit on the same summer. You would not believe the bugs, millions and millions and MILLIONS of these guys, all about the size of your thumb. Branches were breaking off trees and you had to slow your car on curves or you could slide off the road.
GregM
Posted 9/2/2003 9:35 AM (#80347 - in reply to #80315)

You should have heard the Pine Knats at LOTW. Right before dark the island we were fishing next to sounded like it was infested with killer bee's. Harmless critters, but pesky and make a helluva mess out of the boat when you are coming in at nite.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)