Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Eagle lake

Message Subject: Eagle lake
Muskyjoe29
Posted 7/6/2017 6:49 AM (#867887)
Subject: Eagle lake

Morning fellas. Heading up to Eagle lake in a few weeks for the first Canadian trip ever. Staying on the Island in Osborne bay. Just looking to talk strategy. I'm gonna guess given normal conditions we're gonna wanna be throwing topwater and bucktails mostly. Also wondering about spots to key in on. Looks like there should be plenty of weeds to fish?. How bout rocks? I was told the channel between Osborne and Nivens is worth a look. Excitement levels are about to be off the charts. Thanks guys. Pm if you would like. Lol
JMacD
Posted 7/6/2017 8:09 AM (#867904 - in reply to #867887)
Subject: Re: Eagle lake

We'll be at Century Lodge in late Sept. When you arrive, Randy & his dad will give you a lake map & mark it for you.
Might be a good idea to have Randy set you up with a guide for a day. Very reasonable rates. Here's a 5 year old YouTube
that will give you some good general info. Have a great trip & be safe.
JMacD
Posted 7/6/2017 8:21 AM (#867910 - in reply to #867887)

Forgot to post the YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkQ87Yk_obI
wooglin
Posted 7/6/2017 9:57 AM (#867925 - in reply to #867887)

Following - we'll be at Century Lodge Sept 9-16. Can't come soon enough.
PS, I bought an Eagle Lake map from this site, it's a great map with contours and has hazards/rocks marked - which I think will be valuable areas to target for musky. www.fishinghotspots.com
Muskyjoe29
Posted 7/6/2017 8:29 PM (#868035 - in reply to #867887)

Thanks for the info. I ordered the hot spots map a few days ago should be here soon and we do have a guide set for the first day there. Anything else you can think of let me know. Thanks again!!
esoxaddict
Posted 7/6/2017 8:47 PM (#868038 - in reply to #867887)

You're hitting a weird time of year. Depending on water temps, you may find all your fish still shallow/in the weeds, out on the adjacent rock bars/points/etc., or back and forth between the two depending on how cold it got overnight.

Eagle is a good guy. You can spend 4 days doing all the right things in all the right places with nothing to show for it but a sunburn, and go out on day 5 doing the same thing and there are fish flying out of everywhere.

Best bet? Change it up. Either the fish aren't moving, or you're fishing the wrong stuff. If you're fishing the wrong stuff a pattern will reveal itself if you experiment. If the fish aren't moving, you're f-ed anyway and you may as well enjoy a change of scenery.

Eagle Lake sucks about 80% of the time. And the other 20% is the best fishing you will ever encounter.

Good luck!
Slobasaurus
Posted 7/7/2017 6:55 AM (#868084 - in reply to #867887)

Heading up tomorrow. I'll try to remember to report back here or start a new thread. You'll be fine and will catch some solid fish. There's nice numbers in the lake now. Lots of 35-44/45" and always supertankers. Walleye patterns in high skies and dark/black/black orange in rainy days/dusk. Speed kills with tails- especially on rock spots. Don't forget to throw some phantoms and Mag Dawgs too. Especially on weed spots. I always try to fish both weeds and rocks everyday. There will be fish on both structure types that time of year. Good luck.
redskeet100
Posted 7/7/2017 9:05 AM (#868099 - in reply to #867887)

If you are throwing double 10s and not getting many follows or bites, switch it up and go to double 8s as the down size always seems to boat a couple of fish on our trips to that area of the lake. Also, Mehsikomer made a living throwing the jackpot over cabbage outside of the reeds there, so try that as well. I have luck with black Top & Super Top Raiders in that area as well. Black, black/org are the go to colors in that area, but I have had success on yellow and white bucktails in the past. You will definitely need to search both rocks & weeds to see where they might be that time of year, but if you are getting a guide, he will be able to share what has been working and notice the type of spots he takes you to fish and you should be fine. Make sure to do several rounds of figure 8s, dark water, you may not see them right away. Good luck.
Muskyjoe29
Posted 7/24/2017 9:03 AM (#871289 - in reply to #867887)
Subject: RE: Eagle lake night fishing regulations

Morning fellas,
I am aware of the no night fishing rule on Eagle lake. Just looking for some clarification of the rule. Do you have to be off at sunset or do they give you a until twilight or something else. Thanks again for any response. Would also like to hear about anybody's recent trip up there and how things are going. Excitement levels are getting off the charts!
dcates
Posted 7/24/2017 11:45 AM (#871308 - in reply to #871289)
Subject: RE: Eagle lake night fishing regulations

Assuming the regs haven't changed, you may boat all night but cannot legally fish after dark.

Headed north Thursday. Cannot wait!
Slamr
Posted 7/24/2017 12:24 PM (#871311 - in reply to #871308)

Still no night fishing on Eagle Lake.
Slobasaurus
Posted 7/25/2017 4:55 PM (#871507 - in reply to #867887)

You can legally fish for 30min after official sunset. So if sunset is 9:10pm your last cast is 9:39pm.
Muskyjoe29
Posted 7/25/2017 4:59 PM (#871509 - in reply to #867887)

That's what I was looking for. Thanks Slob
Slobasaurus
Posted 7/25/2017 10:06 PM (#871557 - in reply to #867887)

Yea no problem MuskyJoe. Good luck up there. Was up a few weeks ago. Things are behind a little. Lots of rain and cool weather this spring. We did pretty good but did have 50 degrees Fahrenheit and 7+" of rain for two days mid week that messed stuff up. Double eight bucktails moved swiftly were working Day in day out. Other stuff worked here and there. All fish were caught on the figure eight. Hooked and lost some nice fish out on the cast, but the eight was key. Late morning and early afternoon, which tended to coincide with moon phases for us, were best times. Usually it is dusk, but with the cooler weather that never turned on for us. Good luck.
Muskyjoe29
Posted 7/26/2017 6:27 AM (#871573 - in reply to #867887)

Thanks for the report. Confirms some of my suspicions. Weather predicting to be warmer before we get there and then a drop into the lower 70's. We will be there for the full moon cycle so hopefully the fishing will be good.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)