Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Gliders

Message Subject: Gliders
Juhas
Posted 8/8/2017 6:01 AM (#873416)
Subject: Gliders

So gliders, are some for specific situations or just a personal preference? Do you have certain situations where you use a certain type? Basically looking at Squirly Phantom vs. Hellhounds. Seems to me that it is personal based on the ability to get one to work the way you want.
darbogast90
Posted 8/8/2017 6:07 AM (#873417 - in reply to #873416)
Subject: Re: Gliders

I'm not familiar with the phantom, but the main reason I use different glide baits is for the fact that each have their own "swing". For instance, when the water is warmer, I like to use a Hellhound or Manta, as they have a pretty small turning radius and can be worked really fast. When the water is colder, I like my Sidewinders and Deadheads, they seem to have a slower, wider glide that just haaaaaangs.
Zib
Posted 8/8/2017 7:36 AM (#873429 - in reply to #873416)
Subject: RE: Gliders

I like Hellhounds because they are basically idiot proof & very easy to work back to the boat. They are very good on LSC in early June. The Squirrely Phantom is more erratic. I no longer keep my Phantoms in my box because I can't catch a cold with them.

Marley420
Posted 8/8/2017 8:23 PM (#873568 - in reply to #873416)

Ditto with the first 2 replies. I have had success with the hellhounds, but I moved a couple years ago to the warlocks. I prefer their movement more then others.
Musky Brian
Posted 8/8/2017 8:50 PM (#873573 - in reply to #873568)

The squirrelly phantom is one of my favorite baits. Its like combining a glider and rubber into one bait, best of both worlds. Have caught countless fish on that bait...
bbeaupre
Posted 8/8/2017 9:54 PM (#873580 - in reply to #873416)

I use hellhounds in shallow water and when I need to move fast, spring warm up.
smaller Phantoms and others of this type on cold fronts and when I need a real slow swing and wobble as in late fall weeds
I use 10" phantoms/hellhounds, pretty much anytime after June till ice up but mostly in open water
25homes
Posted 8/9/2017 8:24 AM (#873613 - in reply to #873416)

I love all the Phantoms the Hellhounds and the warlocks all great baits imo....I will use the different size phantoms depending on time of year and how deep you wanna work and its nice you can screw in weights to he phantom to run deeper....
NathanH
Posted 8/9/2017 9:00 AM (#873625 - in reply to #873613)

I have way to many Gliders, I don't know why but it seems its the cool bait have and everyone is always buying them. But really I don't use them that often, I have decided to thin the herd down from what I would guess is 3 dozen down to maybe 8. Even then I think that's too many. My favorite is the Mini AP great spring bait.
Matt DeVos
Posted 8/9/2017 9:15 AM (#873632 - in reply to #873416)

I used to be a huge reef hawg guy until I finally had to retire a couple of my "special" ones about a decade ago. Since then, hellhounds and the squirrely phantoms have been my go-to gliders. Also, baby squirko in the spring (though with how erratic it is, I don't know if its really a "glider"). I like both the 8" hellhound and the reg. sized squirrelly phantom for general summer applications, but mostly when fish seem to be "off". (Mainly because the hooking %'s are lower with gliders compared to other baits and if fish are active or semi-active, I'll always opt for a bait with better hooking %'s...also gliders are not a very good bait boatside in the 8).

I view the baits as having 2 different "triggers" for neutral fish. The sq. phantom's soft tail elicits strikes when seemingly nothing else will. Meanwhile, the hellhound can also be used a bit more erratically with a varied cadence and by throwing in a few harder jerks, giving the hellhound more of a darting action. When followed by an occasional "death pause", this can also be a great trigger for neutral fish.

For me, deciding to use one vs. the other is kind of a matter of gut feel, or trial and error, e.g., if fish are following a sq. phantom but not eating, tossing back a quick-darting hellhound can sometimes trip their trigger.

In the fall, I love the 10" Hellhound. Again, hard jerks followed by long pauses will get it swinging out wildly and then hanging in the strike zone.

Ross K
Posted 8/9/2017 1:03 PM (#873697 - in reply to #873416)

I like the twisted sucker glider selections for all the above reasons as well. sharper turn with the 'non squirrely" version and nice swings with the squirrely version. Plus good depth control on all versions as well is very nice.
pklingen
Posted 8/9/2017 1:08 PM (#873700 - in reply to #873416)

gliders work great for me in the early spring and some in early fall. fish follow them like crazy any other time. if ya want to locate a fish thats the ticket!
happy hooker
Posted 8/9/2017 3:39 PM (#873745 - in reply to #873700)

Jerko is one of the best cold front baits ever made.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)