Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Canadian fishing trip

Message Subject: Canadian fishing trip
cabbage
Posted 6/16/2017 8:52 PM (#865381)
Subject: Canadian fishing trip

Headed to Canada this summer. Looks like currently gas in Dryden is over $4 a gallon. I have about ten 6 gallon gas tanks that I used to bring on trips 10 and 15 years ago no problem.. We'd fill up in MN then cross the boarder with the tanks/jugs in the back of the truck and boat. Do they still allow this and is there a limit now? Also, what are the rules regarding bringing alcohol across the boarder? Is it a per vehicle or person kind of thing?

Excited for the trip.

Thanks for the help!
Tin Man
Posted 6/16/2017 11:02 PM (#865383 - in reply to #865381)
Subject: Re: Canadian fishing trip

They count alcohol and tobacco per person. You can bring in 24 beers, 1.5 litres of wine or 40 ounces of alcohol. As far as gas goes, you are allowed to bring in whatever you plan to use on your trip. We have friends who own a resort. They haul gas back and forth, and said that as long as the amount is "reasonable" they never have an issue. We just got back from Canada and brought 4 extra 5 gallon cans for a 3 day trip with no issue. If you have a bunch of gas cans you should be fine. If you have a 100 gallon tank hidden that you don't claim you will probably have an issue. I cross the border a lot and have gone across with more alcohol than I am allowed. They just make you pay duty on it. If you don't claim it and they catch it you have to pay duty, get a ticket and will probably be flagged for searches in the future. So my opinion is that I will just claim it and deal with it.

Edited by Tin Man 6/16/2017 11:04 PM
BornToFish1
Posted 6/17/2017 1:14 PM (#865412 - in reply to #865383)

Greetings,

My experience has been very similar to that reported by Tin Man. It's not worth the troubles that can develop if trying to sneak alcoholic beverages across the border. I declare whatever alcohol I have with me. Often, the Border Services Officer tells me to have a great trip even though I might be over my limit.

As far as gasoline goes, your "extra" gas needs to be reasonable. A five gallon container or two shouldn't draw any interest. Should I be asked, my response is that I am going to a fishing lodge that is beyond "services", which in my case is a true statement.

Good fishing and tight lines!!
cabbage
Posted 6/17/2017 6:58 PM (#865444 - in reply to #865412)

Great advice. Thanks guys. 24 beers in PLENTY for me.
Lundbob
Posted 6/17/2017 7:59 PM (#865450 - in reply to #865381)

Be reasonable with how much gas you bring. I know some resorts have policies against it. I guess you could always ask before you go.

Edited by Lundbob 6/17/2017 8:00 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)