Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Looking for a little guidance for LSC

Message Subject: Looking for a little guidance for LSC
LuckEsoxx
Posted 5/31/2017 9:24 PM (#863435)
Subject: Looking for a little guidance for LSC

I've only been to LSC once, and that was this fall (I'll be fishing the Canadian side) . I'm new to the area, but previously guided at a lodge a little bit north of LOTW and got to go out there a few times. The biggest thing I'm having trouble with in terms of LSC is the lack of structure. In and around Kenora is primarily where we fished and its full of points, ridges, islands, rock piles etc. I know how the guiding game works and keeping secrets safe, but I'm just looking for a push in the right direction. I'm planning on heading down this weekend and primarily trolling, since with limited knowledge that's likely to get us in contact with the most amount of fish (I hope). Do guys mostly focus on shallow water or do they try and find changes in depth such as the fingers off of Belle River? Any information would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance for your time!

Also, we had some luck jigging the classic Bondy bait in the fall in the Detroit river and I swear I saw a thread on here about guys doing that in the spring, is that true or am I crazy?
Bondy
Posted 6/1/2017 5:45 AM (#863447 - in reply to #863435)
Subject: Re: Looking for a little guidance for LSC

Early on if you fish the lake most of the fish are shallower than they will be later in the summer. I'd try trolling or casting in 8-12 ft down the Ont side. You are right about jigging in June. In the river you can cast buck tails etc at the weed beds that line the islands and on the top of the drops and over flats. That works best in clouds/rain and should be real good this year because the cooler spring and higher water have kept the weeds from topping out yet. Once the sun rises we jig Bondy's which many people feel is the path to a giant this time of year.
Will Schultz
Posted 6/1/2017 8:24 AM (#863460 - in reply to #863435)

On the ON side I would start trolling the 6-8' water looking for weeds and any off colored water. If you find a concentration of fish then you can certainly stop and cast the area, minnow baits and gliders are king in spring.
Musky Brian
Posted 6/1/2017 11:42 AM (#863494 - in reply to #863435)

For June....Ive seen success trolling at 11-14' (most likely closer to 12) at 3.5-4 MPH with mainly smaller baits...you should get bit. There's various nicknames down there for the 12-14' contour lines that jut out a bit which you can see on a good map or chip. Try to find those areas down there ...

Forget just about everything you know of LOTW, totally different game. and out there big sexy tall weeds can sometimes become a trap. A lot of times the best structure is the bait they eat...

Edited by Musky Brian 6/1/2017 11:44 AM
LuckEsoxx
Posted 6/1/2017 6:30 PM (#863563 - in reply to #863435)

Thanks for all of the replies, very informative and it will give me more than enough to try out this weekend. Sounds like the contours will definitely need to be discovered and I'm also excited about that jigging info and some casting. The weather looks great as well, just need to find those fish! Thanks again!
Bondy
Posted 6/1/2017 7:26 PM (#863573 - in reply to #863435)

Last year's opener we got caught in a horrendous deluge at the end of the day. Boy did that suck.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)