Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> First time boat buyers guide

Reply New post
Message Subject: First time boat buyers guide
Tommis
Posted 4/26/2017 2:24 PM (#859666)
Subject: First time boat buyers guide

*FULL DISCLAIMER*

I am not purchasing a new boat but the thought has crossed my mind.

I just bought a used boat last year and plan on getting acclimated with fishing from one before I would even consider making an investment on a new one. However, what exactly is buying a new boat like? What should one know before talking with a salesman? What questions need to be brought up with a salesman? Etc. Etc.

Just trying to gain knowledge through people with experience. I'm hoping this thread could be a first time buyers guide. As always, looking forward to see what has to be said. Thanks!
jonnysled
Posted 4/26/2017 2:38 PM (#859673 - in reply to #859666)
Subject: Re: First time boat buyers guide

i would go in with an understanding of what i want with 90% plus confidence prior to talking to a salesman. to me it would be more a discussion with whomever is going to rig it than what model and motors, accessories i plan to put together unless i want to go take a test drive.
Emptynet
Posted 4/26/2017 2:46 PM (#859676 - in reply to #859666)
Subject: RE: First time boat buyers guide

I started with a good idea of what I wanted & could afford. There were 3 boats that made the final list after online & word of mouth searching. Next was in person shopping, I also had the opportunity to fish out of a couple of them with other members of our MI chapter. Then I called 4 dealers who carried the boat & engine combo I decided on. Each dealer got 1 shot to give me their best price. I drove 78 miles to save over $2500, and found a great dealer to do business with.
Mudpuppy
Posted 4/30/2017 5:27 PM (#860161 - in reply to #859676)
Subject: RE: First time boat buyers guide

I think you need to choose the boat, power, and accessories, before you ever enter the dealer showroom. Check out the dealer carefully, important service issues are not the time to discover a bum dealer.
Things to look for in a dealer:
1. Neatness of shop, a mess equals disorganization
2. Available to talk to you uninterrupted
3. Negotiate professionally
4. Meet and talk to the person who will set up your boat
5. Keeps all promises made during negotiations

I had a dealer miss two appointments when I was trying to buy an engine one time, bought a expensive boat the following year from his competitor.

Mudpuppy
Ranger
Posted 5/3/2017 7:57 PM (#860661 - in reply to #859666)

Decide what you want, in general, then post to a variety of fishing boards for references to a dealer. The bigger the investment, the more you need an outfit that will deliver your boat without any problems. When probs arise, a great dealer will bust butt to keep you safe and happy. Be ready to travel a long distance to buy the boat and travel back for any fixxes, expensive upgrades and even winter storage.

I waited 9 months and drove 300 miles to the Indy boat show to negotiate with the Yar Craft dealer (and YC national sales rep) that was very highly recommended. Took 2 days of talking but I saved $15K on what I would have had to pay for a similar boat on any showroom floor. Had to wait another 6 months for my boat to be built and delivered to the dealer's shop. All that time and communication has paid off in diamonds; my dream boat was presented to me perfect, not one single problem in any system, and its a very tricked out ride. When I knocked the lower unit off, and there were no parts available nation-wide, the dealer was able to secure the parts from a connect at the factory. I was back on the water in less than a week. With any other dealer I would have had to wait for gosh knows how long to get my boat back, maybe months.

I spent a lot of time at the dealer's shop over the past 2 years. It was sorta messy, his phone was ringing constantly, but he always accomplished way more than I could have hoped for. New boat customers get his private cell, he always answers and always patiently answers all questions. So, again, first and most important step in buying a new boat is starting with a great dealer.
Tommis
Posted 5/14/2017 8:29 PM (#861628 - in reply to #859666)

A lot of good information here! Let's keep it going. Ranger, your post especially got a question that popped into my head. How far should one be willing to travel for a boat?. Is there anything else missing some if the guys above may not have mentioned? I am considering shopping around in the upcoming offseason, I'm assuming that would be when the best deals are had? What about purchasing a new to you used boat and how not to get burned by things to make sure to look closely at? I will keep everything shared in my mind if I decide to pull the trigger but more knowledge is never a bad thing! Thanks to everyone who has had something to say and hope to find a good dealer in my area since that has been reiterated across the board.
RLSea
Posted 5/14/2017 9:25 PM (#861634 - in reply to #859666)

I bought a new-to-me Ranger in the off season that I found at a dealer on Craigs List. I travelled over 600 miles to finish up negotiations and ended up bringing it home. The dealer was first rate and we were able to close the deal pretty quickly. The key to me is to be honest and forthright with what you have and want; and finding a good dealer. We communicated by email and phone several times, and I gave him $100 holding money during negotiations when I was confident I wanted that boat. That being said, I would have walked and forfeited the money if I wasn't satisfied. He warrantied both motors and was able to provide history data on the main motor. Happy so far.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)