Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Louie Spray... robbed of record.

Message Subject: Louie Spray... robbed of record.
ToddM
Posted 3/5/2017 7:24 PM (#852271 - in reply to #851816)
Subject: Re: Louie Spray... robbed of record.

Come to the chippewa flowage and catch a world record musky. This was told to me by a woman at a sport show as she handed me the area booklet.
mnmusky
Posted 3/5/2017 7:32 PM (#852274 - in reply to #852271)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1jbgoZpmj4

well...if this doesn't make you believe

sworrall
Posted 3/5/2017 7:46 PM (#852280 - in reply to #852258)

Reelwise - 3/5/2017 6:26 PM

Maybe Louie was tipped as to where these fish were? Or, he was just an amazing angler.

Or....

Not.
Reelwise
Posted 3/5/2017 8:59 PM (#852294 - in reply to #852259)

MuskyMatt71
Posted 3/6/2017 9:17 AM (#852332 - in reply to #851816)

I always liked the story of Joey "The Doves" Aiuppa shooting the 1949 fish while "on the lamb" and selling it to Spray. The mount was indeed well done, but I highly doubt that if you ever had a chance to get in the glass and check girth, it would come in over 31 inches. At least uncle Lou was "fortunate" enough to have a 25k insurance policy on the mount before the bar caught fire. Someone said follow the money... I believe Spray left that money to the FWFHOF... It would make a fantastic film, starring Danny Devito.

Edited by MuskyMatt71 3/6/2017 9:19 AM
dfkiii
Posted 3/6/2017 9:26 AM (#852337 - in reply to #852332)

MuskyMatt71 - 3/6/2017 9:17 AM
I believe Spray left that money to the FWFHOF... It would make a fantastic film, starring Danny Devito.

Isn't Devito taller than Louie was ?
MuskyMatt71
Posted 3/6/2017 9:35 AM (#852338 - in reply to #851816)

Depends on how far up the hill he is standing and how low the camera angle is.
dfkiii
Posted 3/6/2017 10:32 AM (#852343 - in reply to #851816)

Jerry Newman - 3/5/2017 6:00 PM
I never said that’s as big as they get and think you must have inadvertently glazed over the keywords in my statement like “about”, “Hayward”, and “months” in an attempt to prove your point. I don't want to nitpick either but the statistics Steve provided certainly support my statement, and would guess that anyone reading this who fishes Hayward regularly (including Scott) would probably agree that an inland 53” would be fairly hard to come by in the short period of time that Louie had to work with.

Guilty as charged on the “nitpicking” and agree that 53” 35# is "about" the upper range. I’d hardly call the links Steve provided “statistics” though. The three 50+ fish I’ve caught in the area were never posted on a resort’s “musky board”, and none were caught on the Chippewa Flowage. That said, I’d have to agree that the Hayward area isn’t the place you go with a time constraint to ensure you net a 50”+ fish. Even without a time constraint for that matter. To suggest that they are as rare as hen’s teeth isn't exactly accurate either.

On that note I think that if Hayward really wants to promote their muskie fishing, they should do so honestly and would be much better served promoting hard-working guys like Scott that really embody the essence of the sport, rather than a scoundrel like Louie. I agree that Scott is a great example of what's possible, but on the other hand you still have guy’s like John Dettloff who has fished the Chippewa Flowage his entire life without even catching a single 50” muskie… yet has the audacity to make an outlandish statement like this (from the link Steve provided).

I’m well aware of the history on this and while it’s somewhat embarrassing I’ll repeat what I replied to one of Larry’s posts - follow the money. Regardless of your and Larry’s attempts to inform people of the truth, the general public will believe what they want to believe and as long as the two factions can sell and profit from the BS, they will. As P.T. Barnum said, “There’s a sucker born every minute”.

“The Chippewa Flowage is home to some of the biggest muskies in the musky world and holds the current all-tackle world record – a giant muskie, caught by Louie Spray, that tipped the scales at 69 ponds, 11 ounces and was 5 feet, 3 inches in length!

Clearly a lie.

“Are there larger muskies than the current world record that still swim the fabled waters of the Big Chip’ Who knows – maybe you could be the next lucky angler”

Typical slimy salesmanship. Misleading ? Indeed ! We all have our theories (mine is that there is no world record musky in the Chip) but unless you drain the entire flowage and sort through all of them it can’t be proven either way.

If you want to take issue with someone misrepresenting the areas muskie… maybe you should start with him?

Don’t you mean “them” ? IMHO, neither are worth the time of day. It should be fairly obvious by now that their stance on truth won't be changed. They already have far too much invested in this side show.
4amuskie
Posted 3/6/2017 2:24 PM (#852385 - in reply to #851816)

Although The Chippewa flowage might not be able to produce consistent quality now days that doesn't mean that it didn't in its earlier years of life. The Chippewa flowage is a flowage. Flowages change dramatically with age. Newly flooded timber and swamps are alot more fertile in their first years vs 100 years later. I grew up on a flowage and it changed considerably in its fertility the years I lived there.
The Chippewa was filled in 1924 so it would have still been in its early stage of life around Louies day. Dont underrate new bodies of water for kicking out big fish, especially flowages.

Edited by 4amuskie 3/6/2017 3:21 PM
sworrall
Posted 3/6/2017 3:23 PM (#852387 - in reply to #851816)

If it did kick out a record size fish, maybe some day we'll see a picture of it. Haven't so far.
4amuskie
Posted 3/6/2017 3:37 PM (#852390 - in reply to #852387)

sworrall - 3/6/2017 3:23 PM

If it did kick out a record size fish, maybe some day we'll see a picture of it. Haven't so far.

I didnt say it kicked out a record fish but I'm not naive enough to know it was a different system back in the day with the potential to have some rather large extraordinary predators roaming around in its 15,00 acres.
Larry Ramsell
Posted 3/6/2017 4:28 PM (#852394 - in reply to #851816)

Those "extraordinary predators" appeared in the Chip in 1942 when A.J Ross caught a 55-pounder and John Fleming caught a 52-pounder. Since then, there have been NO muskies caught there over 50-pounds! The largest up to that time had been a 45-2 in 1938.

1942 must have been the "peak year" for the Chip as there two 45-pounders caught there as well as the two 50-pounders, followed by a 46-9 in 1944; a 43-4 and a 46-0 in 1946; a 49-12 and a 45-pounder in 1952; a 45-8 and a 48-8 in 1954 with not many others over 40-pounds during that time frame (and of course no one knows how many of those were "padded"). 1942 to 1954 had to be the ultimate window there as you don't need any extra hands to count the muskies over 40-pounds from there since then.

And so, the question remains: "What have you done for us lately Chip?"

Edited by Larry Ramsell 3/6/2017 4:31 PM
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 3/6/2017 4:37 PM (#852395 - in reply to #851816)

That's some pretty compelling stuff right there, Larry. And that's all I need to know. Fact of the matter is the Chip doesn't even probably make a top 20 list for giant muskies.
4amuskie
Posted 3/6/2017 4:59 PM (#852401 - in reply to #852395)

AAAAhhhhh. The good ole' days. Life was sure good back then without all that new fangled stuff we have now days. Wonder they got any at all. How the heck did they know where they were going without a GPS. Howd they know the water depth. Howd they get hold a their buddies to know where they were biting. Howd they keep their boats on the spot with no spot lock? Heck, howd they even start the motor with no key. 15,000 acres must a felt like the ocean. Aaaaaahhh, relaxing.
dfkiii
Posted 3/6/2017 5:52 PM (#852406 - in reply to #852394)

Larry Ramsell - 3/6/2017 4:28 PM
And so, the question remains: "What have you done for us lately Chip?"

It's put some nice crappies on my table ! There's something that Steve can appreciate.
esoxaddict
Posted 3/6/2017 7:39 PM (#852420 - in reply to #851816)

There is such a thing as "new reservoir syndrome", but to my knowledge that involves greater numbers of large fish from the first few year classes of stocking and not exceptionally large fish. I'm no biologist, but I'd say muskies get as large as the biggest fish we're seeing today and that's about as big as they've ever gotten or ever will get unless something very dramatic happens with their habitat and genetics.
ToddM
Posted 3/6/2017 8:32 PM (#852428 - in reply to #851816)

Jeff, for the record, the chip flooded many natural lakes like chief for example which had some nice muskies in it.
true tiger tamer
Posted 4/24/2017 7:07 PM (#859480 - in reply to #851816)

The witch hunt of Art Lawton by Larry Ramsell and John Detloff on behalf of the NFWFHOF, and the continued backing of the Spray hoaxes have lead me to boycott fishing in Wisconsin. My goal is to get a tiger or true from every state and province that has them with the exception of Wisconsin. That might possibly change if the Spray hoaxes are thrown out someday. I had the chance to fish Middle Eau Claire Lake with my great uncle Aldrich Lehto but refused. Aldrich's wife was Hilda Johnson (Boroo). She asked me if I wanted to see "photos" of Bob's big muskie and brought out two or three pictures of the Malo fish which I instantly recognized. I wish I'd borrowed them and made copies as both my great uncle and her died a long time ago and I could never find out who got the old photos.
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/24/2017 7:13 PM (#859482 - in reply to #859480)

true tiger tamer - 4/24/2017 7:07 PM

The witch hunt of Art Lawton by Larry Ramsell and John Detloff on behalf of the NFWFHOF, and the continued backing of the Spray hoaxes have lead me to boycott fishing in Wisconsin. My goal is to get a tiger or true from every state and province that has them with the exception of Wisconsin. That might possibly change if the Spray hoaxes are thrown out someday. I had the chance to fish Middle Eau Claire Lake with my great uncle Aldrich Lehto but refused. Aldrich's wife was Hilda Johnson (Boroo). She asked me if I wanted to see "photos" of Bob's big muskie and brought out two or three pictures of the Malo fish which I instantly recognized. I wish I'd borrowed them and made copies as both my great uncle and her died a long time ago and I could never find out who got the old photos.

Wisconsin doesn't need you.
Musky_Mo16
Posted 4/24/2017 7:46 PM (#859485 - in reply to #859482)

Pointerpride102 - 4/24/2017 7:13 PM

Wisconsin doesn't need you.

More muskie for us
VMS
Posted 4/25/2017 7:19 AM (#859509 - in reply to #851816)

With the way things are set up at the FWFHOF and the politics behind it, the only way the spray fish will be dethroned is when a legitimate 70 pounder hits the net, is extremely well documented, kept, and weighed. Even then, I have a sneaking suspicion the new record would some how be manipulated to be debunked.

If (when would be a much nicer way of being able to say it) that happens and is accepted, it will be a very happy day in the muskie world. It would put all this crap to rest, letting the folklore of back then be just that...folklore.

Steve
Musky Brian
Posted 4/25/2017 7:43 AM (#859512 - in reply to #859480)

I hear ya.

A terrible football team, a crumbling hockey dynasty, and outrageous tolls have similarly led me to boycott fishing Muskies in Illinois too

Edited by Musky Brian 4/25/2017 7:44 AM
Sidejack
Posted 4/25/2017 7:44 AM (#859513 - in reply to #852171)
Subject: RE: Louie Spray... robbed of record.

dfkiii - 3/4/2017 5:29 PM

Jerry Newman - 3/4/2017 1:35 PM
What's the largest muskie you could put your hands on (by hook or crook) in just a few months in 1949 Hayward?  The real size of this fish and answer is about 35lbs and 53”… same as it is today.

Yup, there are no bigger fish in WI. Maybe you should try fishing with Scott Kieper.

Or Scott Walker for that matter, if you're not opposed to his innovative use of equipment.

All kidding aside, the Chip is a must see & fish if yer a serial dragon chaser. Do it right and stay in the bunkhouse at Indian Trail, buy one of John's marked up maps to reduce the chance of damaging your prop/lower unit, use the communal shower, pay tribute to Cheezio before heading out to fish the graveyard with nothing longer than 6 inches, enjoy some pizza, beer & Ghosttails in the Red Bar after, tour the old mounts at the Moccasin Bar, etc..

Buddy of mine took me once and i'll never forget it.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(SC-UpsideDownReel.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments SC-UpsideDownReel.jpg (49KB - 447 downloads)
Schultz345
Posted 4/25/2017 9:33 PM (#859594 - in reply to #851837)

Pointerpride102 - 3/2/2017 1:15 PM

Spray's record is legit and Cutler is elite. You're batting 1.000

wrecked
Larry Ramsell
Posted 4/26/2017 9:25 AM (#859623 - in reply to #851816)

This thread should have been titled "The Records Spray Has Stolen"!!!
iamaddicted
Posted 4/26/2017 12:58 PM (#859651 - in reply to #851816)

I've fished the Chip a fair amount and have spent some time at Indian Trail. Really fun atmosphere and most evenings the bar is full of muskie guys telling great stories! Maybe there aren't any world record fish swimming around there but it sure is great body of water I'd recommend to anyone.
bomber34
Posted 4/26/2017 2:03 PM (#859661 - in reply to #851816)

I've fished the Chip a fair amount and have spent some time at Indian Trail. Really fun atmosphere and most evenings the bar is full of muskie guys telling great stories! Maybe there aren't any world record fish swimming around there but it sure is great body of water I'd recommend to anyone.

Well said.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)