Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Fuel lines for two motors

Reply New post
Message Subject: Fuel lines for two motors
horsehunter
Posted 4/26/2017 6:17 PM (#859696)
Subject: Fuel lines for two motors

My main motor is a115 HP Suzuki 4 stroke and I just had a 20HP Suzuki kicker and water separating filter installed.

What they did was cut the original fuel line after the squeeze bulb and extend it to the water separating filter inlet they then brought a line out of the filter and T'd it with a line going to each motor.

My thinking is it should have a line going to the filter with two lines coming out with a squeeze bulb ( check valve ) on each line.

They said that wasn't necessary with EFI four strokes.

Any thoughts
muskydope
Posted 4/26/2017 6:44 PM (#859703 - in reply to #859696)
Subject: Re: Fuel lines for two motors

Actually you will need either 2 separate fuel lines from the tank or a valve to shut-off the fuel to the non-running motor. Or else the running motor will try to pull fuel from the non-running motor causing running (fuel) issues.
horsehunter
Posted 4/26/2017 6:55 PM (#859708 - in reply to #859696)

I was under the impression the bulb acted as a check valve. I have never been in a boat and seen valves on the lines and have had no issues.
Targa01
Posted 4/26/2017 7:03 PM (#859709 - in reply to #859703)

I added a filter (particle/water) on my old boat when I upgraded to a new 115 EFI and an 8hp kicker. The filter had 2 inlets and 2 outlets. I split the main motor fuel line and hooked it up (1 inlet, 1 outlet) and then plugged the other inlet. I hooked up the kicker to the other outlet with a hose fitting that had a check valve. Not sure if it helped but the EFI's fuel pump never starved the kicker. Could run both motors at the same time with no issues ever plus both motors had additional protection from the filter.

Sounds like you may have a similar setup with the fuel filter, guessing it's the "oil filter" looking unit.

Edit: your right as the primer bulb acts like a check valve as well.

Edited by Targa01 4/28/2017 6:22 PM
horsehunter
Posted 4/26/2017 7:11 PM (#859713 - in reply to #859696)

Yes that's the same type of filter I have. mine looks like an oil filter with a clear bowl on the bottom with a drain cock.
anderj85
Posted 4/27/2017 10:17 AM (#859786 - in reply to #859696)

The primer bulb should act as a check valve in each line, but you would be better off in my opinion to put shutoff valves in both lines and turn off the fuel line to the motor not running. This would be a more robust solution. If the primer bulb doesn't seal 100% you could be introducing air into you fuel for the other engine and cause a lean condition. Lean A/F ratio burns hot and can cause all sorts of major problems.

I use a 6 gallon portable tank for my kicker. A little more inconvenient (depending on storage room for that tank) but gives you another fuel source to get off the water should you have a fuel related problem.
VMS
Posted 4/28/2017 12:53 PM (#859948 - in reply to #859696)

Hiya,

I would wager to say that a better set-up was the way described...line to filter, then two lines out of the filter, each having their own primer bulb. This more-or-less Protects the individual motors from leaning out (most likely would be the big motor while under power leaning out due to losing prime due to the T in the line to the kicker)

I would change their set-up... Get two new bulbs and a little fuel line. Keep the first bulb in place if you like...it's not needed there... it would work as your primer to the fuel filter. block the second inlet off, then have two outlet lines..one to each motor, each having their own primer bulb. I've run this set-up for about 10 years now, and have not had a single problem.

Steve
Chain Gang
Posted 4/28/2017 7:32 PM (#859971 - in reply to #859696)

Mine has a valve to select between the two. It's never bothered me and I've never had an issue.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)