Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> New to trolling

Message Subject: New to trolling
nmazzino
Posted 5/2/2017 7:57 AM (#860380)
Subject: New to trolling

Hello all, I am somewhat new to muskie. This is my 2nd full year. I have been mostly a caster but am trying to get into trolling as well to help cover some more ground or have that to go to when winds are really bad.

I do not have any special rod holders other than 2 straight up ones off the back of the boat. I do not have any line counter combos. I am looking at getting planer boards.

Any and all trolling advice would be greatly appreciated! Tactics, lures, equipment, anything.

Thanks all!
jerryb
Posted 5/2/2017 9:07 AM (#860396 - in reply to #860380)
Subject: RE: New to trolling

If you want to become a good troller, learn from the greatest troller who ever was, Buck Perry: https://www.bucksspoonplugs.com/Sploonplugging--your-Guide-to-Lunker...
Best of luck
figure 8
Posted 5/2/2017 6:10 PM (#860474 - in reply to #860396)

Hire a guide that is a good troller. I did. It will help you a ton. Seeing it in person is better than reading about it. You will see the right equipment to use and how to use it.
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 5/2/2017 6:57 PM (#860479 - in reply to #860380)
Subject: Re: New to trolling

A lot of the answers to your questions are going to depend on where you fish. The way I troll in Minnesota in June is completely different than when I go to Green Bay in September and LOTW in October/November. There is no one right way to go about it; it's all situational and dependent on too many factors to explain without semi-specific questions. All I can tell you is to invest in quality rod holders and get a line counter or two. I prefer Folbe rod holders and Shimano Tekota reels but Okuma Codlwater's are probably the best for the $ if you're just starting out.
tuffy1
Posted 5/4/2017 6:52 AM (#860697 - in reply to #860380)

If you're just starting out and don't have line counters or rod holders to hold a rod horizontally or in the water slightly, hold the rod and count passes on your reel. You'll learn a lot about what you are fishing by holding the rod. And using one rod forces you to learn.

To figure out how deep your baits are running, grab a notebook, write the bait name down, speed your going (if you can), and how many passes back it takes to hit bottom occasionally at a given depth. This works best on a clean bottom (sand or gravel) as you typically have a defined depth (unlike with weeds where you might not know exactly how high they are and when your bait is hitting them).

Sounds pretty elementary, but if you're just starting out, you'll be ahead of the curve once you get the boat set up for trolling on a more regular basis. Build up a good log of baits and running depths, and you'll be able to figure out when and where you need to run certain baits.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)