Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Best Mid Summer Trolling Baits Northern MN Shield Lake

Message Subject: Best Mid Summer Trolling Baits Northern MN Shield Lake
EsoxPursuit
Posted 4/1/2017 1:21 AM (#855646)
Subject: Best Mid Summer Trolling Baits Northern MN Shield Lake

Last summer was a non-typical year for the northern MN shield lake that I have fished for 15 years in late July and early August. Usually this is a good bucktail and topwater bite in relatively shallow water related to rocky reefs, islands and points. Last year the fish were not in this pattern, and for the first time in mid summer, I saw numerous boats trolling over deep open water. I was not prepared to do this myself, and would like to add this to my arsenal for 2017 if needed again.

I am an experienced troller on Green Bay for walleyes with planer boards in May but have never trolled for muskies in northern MN. I feel that I can readily adapt this year if needed. Most of the muskie trolling threads I find on search discuss the best baits for fall trolling. I could really use some helpful suggestions for best trolling baits to try in mid summer on a northern MN shield lake. And is mid summer trolling even a good alternate plan?
Targa01
Posted 4/1/2017 6:03 PM (#855694 - in reply to #855646)
Subject: Re: Best Mid Summer Trolling Baits Northern MN Shield Lake

I don't use anything really much different for baits than fall. If I don't see anything up top I'll troll the edges and bang bottom like fall trolling and keep sliding out. I do some open water if there's bait or deep humps. 9" Grandmas, 10 Jakes, DR, etc. I do like the Scatter Bero Hammers but they are kind of spendy but great action. Open water I'll toss out a DDD and rip/twitch while trolling and it has great hang when dropping the rod tip back. Cisco Kid is another good old standby and you can change up the action and depth bending the lip. If you want one higher end bait you can get a headlock or "HL style" since there's more options these days.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 4/2/2017 7:41 AM (#855725 - in reply to #855646)
Subject: Re: Best Mid Summer Trolling Baits Northern MN Shield Lake

Just troll a headlock with the 30 other boats going around in a circle in head of lakes bay.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)