Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Family resort with good muskie/walleye fishing

Message Subject: Family resort with good muskie/walleye fishing
oly67
Posted 3/22/2017 9:04 PM (#854534)
Subject: Family resort with good muskie/walleye fishing

Wanting to take my wife, daughter, son-in-law, and two granddaughters to somewhere, probably northern Minnesota, this summer. Fish mainly muskie, some walleye. Would like a nice sandy beach, a lake with some irregular shoreline, not a round bowl. I fish Lake of the Woods(Nestor Falls) with the son-in-law and other guys for many years, my wife has been with me on some short trips up there too. Tried to talk the women into finding a more family resort up there(if there is one), Nestor Falls is not quite exciting enough for them.....???, not enough shopping, dining choices up there. Really?? Okay, maybe.......
We are very familiar with the Grand Rapids area and Lake Pokegama, muskie fishing there just is not quite active enough yet and lack of resorts. Have fished Moose and Deer, Deer might do.
Used to fish Leech some, could be an option, or a one of the many muskie lakes in the Walker area. We like the town of Walker. Cass could be an option. Vermillion or Northstar? Probably too remote too. Just need some ideas on resorts. Hopefully it is not too late to get some reservations. Thanks!

Edited by oly67 3/23/2017 10:28 AM
Kirby Budrow
Posted 3/23/2017 8:34 AM (#854579 - in reply to #854534)
Subject: Re: Family resort with good muskie/walleye fishing

Wives and daughters love Walker. That's what I'd do! Leech and the other lakes around Longville will keep you happy. Grand Rapids, (where I'm from) is good for shopping too. Tell them to stop into my Mom's shop (Wings N' Willows). The fishing ain't as good as Leech though.
oly67
Posted 3/23/2017 9:36 AM (#854596 - in reply to #854579)

Kirby Budrow - 3/23/2017 8:34 AM

Wives and daughters love Walker. That's what I'd do! Leech and the other lakes around Longville will keep you happy. Grand Rapids, (where I'm from) is good for shopping too. Tell them to stop into my Mom's shop (Wings N' Willows). The fishing ain't as good as Leech though.

I have been going to Pokegama almost every year of my life(57 yrs). Last 45 some yrs staying at my late uncle's cabin, which is now full most summers by his immediate family and grandkids, which is just fine. Grateful for all the years we got to stay there. Was hoping to be able to fish the lake some more years, hopefully the muskie stocking would make it a good muskie lake in the future. Not much for resorts on that lake, presently looking of some VRBO type cabins on the lake. But if that does not happen, Leech area is probably our first choice. Have to do some internet searching on resorts, just hoping for some resort recommendations.

Edited by oly67 3/23/2017 9:37 AM
Kirby Budrow
Posted 3/23/2017 10:20 AM (#854603 - in reply to #854534)

Yeah Poke is definitely not ready yet. It will be interesting to see how it turns out, but people really need to give it a good 5 years. I'm really hoping people will leave it alone and give the fish a chance to grow. The fish are low 40s at best right now, and not many of them. Those are the fish that were in the first stocking. The rest are even smaller. As far as resorts cabins for rent...there is a big one all the way at the end of Wendigo Arm. My in laws stayed there over a year ago. It's huge though and probably overkill.
FlyPiker
Posted 3/23/2017 12:05 PM (#854620 - in reply to #854534)

Norway Hills Resort on Big Mantrap is pretty good. Beach isn't huge but pretty nice. Decent Muskie fishing, has a riverine section and then the main lake which still has some points and bays and such. The Park Rapids area has tons of tourist trap places for the ladies to blow money at. The lake itself really isn't too busy with either pleasure boaters or too many fishermen. The walleye fishing is decent, the bass fishing is a bit better though.
Propster
Posted 3/23/2017 12:20 PM (#854624 - in reply to #854534)

There are walleyes in Mantrap?
bucknuts
Posted 3/23/2017 1:37 PM (#854648 - in reply to #854534)
Subject: RE: Family resort with good muskie/walleye fishing

The Walker area sounds like the best of both worlds, for your family.
I'm on Vermilion. Nothing to do but fish and drink, up there, and we don't drink. My wife is finally getting bored, after eight summers up there. I spend five months up there and she's down to about two and a half months.
Musky Face
Posted 3/23/2017 6:08 PM (#854684 - in reply to #854624)

Propster - 3/23/2017 12:20 PM

No walleyes in there.
FlyPiker
Posted 3/24/2017 8:10 AM (#854745 - in reply to #854684)

Musky Face - 3/23/2017 6:08 PM

No walleyes in there.

It's been a while since I've been there, the population crash or something? We didn't spend a lot of time fishing for them but we caught a couple. This was back in the late 90s so a lot can happen in 20 years.
Musky Face
Posted 3/24/2017 2:22 PM (#854799 - in reply to #854745)

FlyPiker - 3/24/2017 8:10 AM

Musky Face - 3/23/2017 6:08 PM

No walleyes in there.

It's been a while since I've been there, the population crash or something? We didn't spend a lot of time fishing for them but we caught a couple. This was back in the late 90s so a lot can happen in 20 years.

The dnr survey shows no walleyes in there, nor do they talk about them being in there. Population must have crashed. Dam Musky's. Lol.
FlyPiker
Posted 3/24/2017 3:07 PM (#854804 - in reply to #854534)

Lol, that's the first thing I thought of, don't let the Anti-Muskie crowd know about that one. They'll spin that into some amazing propaganda. I know the populations was never huge but to have zero netted is pretty rough. That's too bad. This post has reminded me that I would like to fish a weekend up there this summer. Lots of fun lakes up there. Bad Medecine is one of the clearest lakes I've ever encountered - like fishing in an aquarium. I caught my biggest northern on Little Mantrap when I was like 12... Really have to top that one soon.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)