Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> fishable river outflow

Message Subject: fishable river outflow
25homes
Posted 4/6/2017 9:34 AM (#856107)
Subject: fishable river outflow

Didnt hit river last weekend because I thought flow was too much...asked local guide about it yesterday and he thought levels were great for musky fishing but would make walleye bass or trout fishing very tough....Now today I see Outflow is gonna double by tomorrow to a staggering 19500CFI Is this type of outflow even fishable even for Musky? Dont wanna go to just waste time..I do enough of that already and the odds are tough enough as it is dont need to stack anything else against me
14ledo81
Posted 4/6/2017 9:51 AM (#856109 - in reply to #856107)
Subject: Re: fishable river outflow

I'd say go.

Is fishing ever a waste of time?
25homes
Posted 4/6/2017 10:38 AM (#856113 - in reply to #856107)

Fishing not ever waste correct I just think with that flow no way you gonna be able to fish from boat be getting pushed all over the river Just think I might be btr off focusing on a different lake or something with flow that high unreal
Tommis
Posted 4/6/2017 11:05 AM (#856118 - in reply to #856107)

Me and buddy caught a fat 47in last year at the base of a #*^@ in a eddy off the side of the tail races. Where there is usually shore, we were wading waste high. Look for current breaks or eddies(sp?) That could be the ticket. I think you are correct about it being more difficult but it's often paid with bigger rewards. I know we're getting pounded with rain which might turn into a dusting of snow, but fish got to eat. Don't they? I'd say go for it... AND TAKE ME WITH YOU! hehehe
25homes
Posted 4/6/2017 11:14 AM (#856120 - in reply to #856118)

Tommis - 4/6/2017 11:05 AM

Me and buddy caught a fat 47in last year at the base of a #*^@ in a eddy off the side of the tail races. Where there is usually shore, we were wading waste high. Look for current breaks or eddies(sp?) That could be the ticket. I think you are correct about it being more difficult but it's often paid with bigger rewards. I know we're getting pounded with rain which might turn into a dusting of snow, but fish got to eat. Don't they? I'd say go for it... AND TAKE ME WITH YOU! hehehe

lol come on down...they saying we might get lil snow as well Friday so that wont help either...
ToddM
Posted 4/6/2017 12:03 PM (#856124 - in reply to #856107)

The key is knowing the river and what spots are good and where the fish may be based on the flow. Fish may hang in the current break of a tree for example but at some point the flow will be too much and that tree will not hold a fish. When the river gets really high, fish can push on non current flats and backwaters. The flow number is also relative that river only.

Edited by ToddM 4/6/2017 12:28 PM
Tommis
Posted 4/6/2017 3:59 PM (#856166 - in reply to #856120)

25homes - 4/6/2017 12:14 PM

Tommis - 4/6/2017 11:05 AM

lol come on down...they saying we might get lil snow as well Friday so that wont help either...

PM sent. I'm itching for fishing, my spring break is finally here after tonight haha
Tommis
Posted 4/6/2017 4:10 PM (#856168 - in reply to #856124)

ToddM - 4/6/2017 1:03 PM

The key is knowing the river and what spots are good and where the fish may be based on the flow. Fish may hang in the current break of a tree for example but at some point the flow will be too much and that tree will not hold a fish. When the river gets really high, fish can push on non current flats and backwaters. The flow number is also relative that river only.

This is excellent advice. I have never been on a boat for a river (just bought my first used boat in october) but learning how to read a river from shore has helped immensely in locating fish holding spots and the correlation to weather related flow patterns. There's a flat about 100yds or so off of that same dam I mentioned which absolutely holds walleye 90% of the time in high water. They stack up on it to not have to fight the current. Depending on the flush out rate of the feeder streams, I have had a lot of luck fishing right at the mouth where you can literally see the current line from dirty fast flowing water in the river vs less dirty slower moving water from the feeder. A back water inlet is also one of my go to spots during high water as well. Not sure of how far back a boat can get into it but man is it money when the rains dump for a good 2-3 days. Lastly, each river is certainly individual. I know one very well but am working on learning the others. It's actually neat how can boil down to certain stretches of the river being entirely different from other stretches. Rivers are great. I need to fish haha
Triplethreat
Posted 4/9/2017 1:00 AM (#856400 - in reply to #856107)

Watch for floating debris. That's our biggest issue fishing in high flows.
ToddM
Posted 4/9/2017 5:44 AM (#856405 - in reply to #856400)

Triplethreat - 4/9/2017 1:00 AM

Watch for floating debris. That's our biggest issue fishing in high flows.

Agree, not only on rivers but flowages like the turtle flambeau. You even have to watch on lake michigan and LSC.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)