Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> New Guy getting back in the game

Message Subject: New Guy getting back in the game
ToTheWoods
Posted 3/22/2017 12:09 PM (#854462)
Subject: New Guy getting back in the game

Hey guys and gals just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I've been a huge outdoorsman since I was able to follow my father around. I recently decided to get back into Musky fishing after about a 15 yr absence. Should and neck issue kept me from enjoying the hunt. With the new rods and reels I think I can get back to it. I decided the best way to relearn was to hire a guide in the bemidji area and get an accelerated education. The morning a family group is heading to the Sioux Narrows area on LOTW to reinforce the education and enjoy a week up there. I see that the equipment and lures hasn't come down in price any. Blew a wad at the MN Expo to update some gear and lures. My son and I are custom building rods so I will be able to save a little there. I look forward to learning alot here and elsewhere. Any tips for the new old guy would be great. I'm sure alot has changed in the years I've been away. Heres to bent rods, tight lines, and full nets
esoxaddict
Posted 3/22/2017 1:11 PM (#854473 - in reply to #854462)
Subject: Re: New Guy getting back in the game

Muskies haven't changed. There's a lot of cool new stuff to catch them with. If I was in your situation, I'd buy a couple double 10's, a Weagle, a few bulldawgs, and call it a day. The lures you used to catch them on still work, with an added bonus that most of the fish haven't seen them in a long time.
Slamr
Posted 3/22/2017 1:16 PM (#854475 - in reply to #854473)

esoxaddict - 3/22/2017 1:11 PM

Muskies haven't changed. There's a lot of cool new stuff to catch them with. If I was in your situation, I'd buy a couple double 10's, a Weagle, a few bulldawgs, and call it a day. The lures you used to catch them on still work, with an added bonus that most of the fish haven't seen them in a long time.

Kinda like your boat? It works, it's a little longer in the tooth, and the muskies haven't seen it in a long time?
esoxaddict
Posted 3/22/2017 1:25 PM (#854476 - in reply to #854475)

Slamr - 3/22/2017 1:16 PM

esoxaddict - 3/22/2017 1:11 PM

Kinda like your boat? It works, it's a little longer in the tooth, and the muskies haven't seen it in a long time?

Just like my boat. AND me. Except that old muskie lures get more valuable over time. I just get old.
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 3/22/2017 1:27 PM (#854478 - in reply to #854462)

Hiring a guide in your area is a great idea.
tkuntz
Posted 3/22/2017 3:25 PM (#854494 - in reply to #854462)

You mentioned having neck issues. Rod and reel technology has advanced light years, but lures have gotten much bigger and heavier. I don't know your situation, but maybe avoid extremely heavy (bulldawgs, large jerkbaits, etc) and lures that pull hard (9, 10, 12 size blades, huge crankbaits, etc) until you are certain that it won't bother your injury.

Beyond that, welcome back to the sport. It's as addictive and expensive as cocaine, but without the weight loss.

Edited by tkuntz 3/22/2017 3:27 PM
randers41
Posted 3/22/2017 5:00 PM (#854506 - in reply to #854462)

If your looking for a guide in Bemidji I highly recommend Kevin Cochran. Straight up guy who really knows the area and will share what he knows.
NathanH
Posted 3/22/2017 7:01 PM (#854517 - in reply to #854506)

I'm no pro but I think you have a good plan going out with a guide to see how you feel. Honestly regarding baits double tens catch fish but so do mepps Muskie killers and they don't tear you up. Lots of low impact baits catch fish.
ToTheWoods
Posted 3/23/2017 7:06 AM (#854567 - in reply to #854462)

Randers I went with Brian Truax on a recommendation. I have heard alot of great things about Kevin for sure. TK the necks issue will be secondary to the shoulders. I stopped tossing the big baits for this reason. Bad thing is I didn't give up alot of other things that aggravate my injuries I just pay the price afterwards. So I've decided that if I'm not giving up those things I should get back into something else that I enjoy doing. It's to late to test the waters the crack addiction has already kicked in. Wife is going to try it for the first time as well.
Stealthski
Posted 3/23/2017 9:14 AM (#854587 - in reply to #854462)
Subject: RE: New Guy getting back in the game

Individuals can offer excellent perspective and recommendations on this forum, but you are limited to those who respond and their recommendations. Recommend you join Muskies, Inc, where you will get the Muskie Magazine and have access to a wonderful database of information about lakes that contain muskies. Use that information to help you decide what baits to use (or purchase) for those bodies of water. Go to Muskies, Inc meetings in your area if they are close to learn from speakers or from other muskie fishermen. Then, get a subscription to Musky Hunter magazine and read that cover to cover. Find friends who may have those magazine and borrow some back issues. Next, go online and start Googling the heck out of muskie sites, videos, etc. In short, school yourself on equipment, baits, tactics, locations, tactics, etc. That will go a long way to getting you back in the game. What you get here on this site is but one part of your muskie education. The more you learn, the more you stack the odds in your favor. I'm relatively late to muskie fishing myself and the real thrill for me is learning and using new tactics and ideas to make me a better fisherman. This keeps it exciting for every outing. Good luck to you!!
bucknuts
Posted 3/23/2017 9:20 AM (#854589 - in reply to #854462)

I have had both shoulders operated on. Right one had major work done. That's the one that bothers me. Luckily I'm left handed. Shots in the shoulders helped for awhile.
It doesn't bother me enough not to fish all day.
Throw double eights, most of the time, until your muscles get used to it.
Also, when you throw topwaters, go with Whopper Ploppers, Pacemakers, Low Riders...ect. They are light, and easy to work, not to mention, fish-catching machines!!!
Work your way into it, slowly.
Go with long rods. It makes casting so much easier.
Go with the biggest, but lightest net, possible, and put a pisto-grip on it.
No Big Kahuna's!
Loosen up before going out.
Don't forget the Aleve!

Edited by bucknuts 3/23/2017 9:23 AM
Stealthski
Posted 3/23/2017 9:30 AM (#854591 - in reply to #854462)

Here's a P.S. to my entry above. I have issues with pain and strength due to rheumatoid arthritis so I have to adapt my game maybe like you will need to if your shoulder and neck issues persist. Medications help somewhat, but not for longer days. What I've done is to use lower ratio reels and downsize blades and lure weights. Interestingly, I'm still catching muskies and actually had my best year last year. Even Joe Bucher had to downsize his game after a serious shoulder injury. He has written a very good article in the Feb/Mar 2017 Muskie Hunter magazine that discusses downsizing. He has found as I have that muskies still bite. Don't get caught up in all the high speed reels, big rubber baits, or throwing double 10's that are all the rage. You will hurt from using them. Maybe not for a dozen casts, but who wants to buy all that stuff if you set it down in your boat and use what works easier for the rest of the day? Spend your money on what you can use most of the day.
25homes
Posted 3/24/2017 2:53 PM (#854802 - in reply to #854462)

good luck my man and welcome back....hope all goes well with injuries
sworrall
Posted 3/24/2017 6:18 PM (#854818 - in reply to #854462)

Take a look around the boards and search for questions you would like answers to. TONS of good information here. Join Muskies Inc for sure. Get out on the water with a couple guides, and share a boat with a member or two here. Good luck, and welcome back to the sport.
North of 8
Posted 3/25/2017 10:25 AM (#854859 - in reply to #854462)

I was in my middle fifties when I got back into muskie fishing after several decades. I think you will find that today's equipment is so much better, starting with the long rods that it makes a big difference in fatigue, etc. Even things we take for granted, like the extra long handles are an aid in keeping the stress down on the body. You need to take care of yourself, do motion specific exercises year round but that is something we should all do anyway.
Reelwise
Posted 3/25/2017 3:26 PM (#854895 - in reply to #854475)

Slamr - 3/22/2017 2:16 PM

That was both not funny and funny.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)