Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Spring tactics help

Message Subject: Spring tactics help
nmazzino
Posted 4/25/2017 6:58 AM (#859506)
Subject: Spring tactics help

Hey all, I am new to muskie fishing. This is my 2nd full year. Last year I did pretty good in summer/fall. I got 6 musky with my biggest a 46" and was at least getting a few follows every time out usually.

Last spring I couldn't get anything. And this spring I am really struggling to get a muskie or any follows. I have been out 7 times already.

Any advice/tips? I have been trying to throw smaller baits as I heard and read in spring is better. I have also tried my bigger baits that I have caught fish on last year.

I live in Ohio and mainly cast.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by nmazzino 4/25/2017 7:36 AM
Fish4muskie
Posted 4/26/2017 8:38 AM (#859615 - in reply to #859506)
Subject: Re: Spring tactics help

My only advise is look shallow. Try to find warmest water and baitfish.
25homes
Posted 4/26/2017 8:53 AM (#859618 - in reply to #859506)

Not sure where you fishing but Ive fished ohio few times this spring and things been rough some them ohio lakes get major pressure...but like stated above find shallow water and weeds if possible will help...lot of the lakes around this area are right in the spawn temps too which can make things difficult as well
Rotorhead
Posted 4/26/2017 8:55 AM (#859619 - in reply to #859506)
Subject: RE: Spring tactics help

You don't mention fishing with someone else. If you do have a partner, are they new to the sport? If you can, find a partner or partners who have been muskie fishing longer. All the guys I know would be happy to help a "new guy" to learn more about muskie fishing - tactics, baits, equipment, release technique, locations, etc. See if you can find a Muskies, Inc (Muskiesinc.org) chapter near you to attend a meeting or learn about local outings where you may meet some of the members. If not a chapter near you, would there be a local fishing club perhaps, where some members fish muskies? Perhaps you could plan a trip with a local guide, who should get to the heart of what you want to know. The bottom line is to keep doing what you're doing, but also seek out others in your area who would be great sources of information. Read all you can about the sport. Learning muskie fishing alone will be a long process and you may eventually burn out if your success is limited or don't have a partner to motivate you. You're doing the right thing by hanging around this site. The more you learn, the greater your success will be so you are in a big learning curve right now. The important thing is to not get discouraged and hang around muskie hunters who will help you through this. You were looking for specifics, but I'm responding to maybe help you step back and look at your entire situation and develop a plan to be successful at this sport. Good luck to you.

Edited by Rotorhead 4/26/2017 9:36 AM
nmazzino
Posted 4/26/2017 6:47 PM (#859705 - in reply to #859506)

Hey everyone, thanks for the responses!

Yes, I am fishing in Ohio. We usually fish west branch 1-3 times a week. Actually just went out today for around 10 hours. We had 5 total follows but couldn't get any of them to hit. Water temp is around 60-63 there so I think the musky are just getting done spawning and hopefully will be picking up a bit. Was fishing drop-offs mostly. Hopefully that means it is picking up.

We just recently heard about Muskieinc.org at a convention and are considering joining. I do fish with a close friend, but we started fishing for Muskie at around the same time so we have around the same experience level. Finding and experienced muskie fisherman that wouldn't mind showing us a few tips would be amazing! We try to ask around when we see other boats loading/unloading and everyone seems to be fairly friendly and helpful. We have been reading everything we possibly can for the last year and watched just about every video on youtube that has to do with muskie. I know these fish are hard to catch and takes a lot of time and experience.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)