Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: THAT LADY HAS NO ARMS!!! - Briguy
- (Added by: muskiemook)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Thru wire construction for squirrely tail

Message Subject: Thru wire construction for squirrely tail
jkurtkrauss
Posted 2/7/2017 8:06 PM (#849036)
Subject: Thru wire construction for squirrely tail

Any ideas on attaching the rear hook on a crankbait that I plan on using a mogombo grub in the rear? Using cedar, planning on drilling for the thru wire.

Thanks!
austin_0_4
Posted 2/8/2017 9:03 PM (#849156 - in reply to #849036)
Subject: RE: Thru wire construction for squirrely tail

I make this out of 051 or 062 wire, granted the 062 is really a pain to bend like this. Anyway see the pic. The screw part screws into the plastic to secure it, then the longer straight shaft I bend a 90 degree angle into to put the rear treble back a ways. Works great.

Might have to hit zoom out above the pic, for some reason its zooming in by default when i look at it.

Edited by austin_0_4 2/8/2017 9:05 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_3336xx.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_3336xx.jpg (147KB - 363 downloads)
jkurtkrauss
Posted 2/10/2017 8:20 AM (#849310 - in reply to #849036)
Subject: Re: Thru wire construction for squirrely tail

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking there would have to be a 90 degree bend to pull this off. How do you secure the piece to the thru wire?
austin_0_4
Posted 2/15/2017 11:15 AM (#849851 - in reply to #849310)

Best bet would be to bend an eye in the thruwire on the backside, then attach the piece like shown in the picture with a split ring.
PamuskEhunt
Posted 2/15/2017 12:34 PM (#849865 - in reply to #849036)

Most of the reason why you don't see anything like this out there is 1) the ability to keep the tail from fouling on the hook, thus ruining the action of the bait. 2) attaching an additional piece of wire to a thru-wired bait, which is therefore creating a connection that could potentially fail before the actual wire. 3) if you do get it to work by attaching a split ring to the thru-wire, how do you keep it horizontal to the bait? Probably shrink tube... 4) if you do shrink tube it and then catch a fish, will it need replaced after that?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)