Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> LSC Guide

Message Subject: LSC Guide
Slamr
Posted 1/18/2017 1:06 PM (#846611 - in reply to #846592)
Subject: Re: LSC Guide

Zib - 1/18/2017 10:26 AM

BNelson - 1/18/2017 10:58 AM
if I'm not mistaken some of the guides that came to LSC figured out the casting bite faster than the long time guides? maybe I'm wrong on that but just because a guide has been on 1 body of water forever doesn't mean someone else coming in can't teach the old timers a thing or 2.... pick a guide that will teach you how to catch fish, on that body of water, and maybe learn some things to apply on other bodies of water.. lots of good options listed...

Some of those long time guides just kept their mouths shut & didn't brag about their catches all over the Internet and fishing shows. Though there is a long time guide or 2 that I wouldn't give the time of day because they are set in their old ways.

Not that I don't respect those that don't brag but...they then can't complain when others that use the current marketing tools (yeah, its bragging. yeah, it's using that new fangled 'interweb' thingie) get customers by their actions. If one feels that they should stand by their record in hopes that word of mouth will feed their business, good luck to ya! But as you stand alone, hoping this works, others have attacked your clientele pool directly.
Zib
Posted 1/19/2017 7:20 AM (#846703 - in reply to #846611)

Slamr - 1/18/2017 2:06 PM
Not that I don't respect those that don't brag but...they then can't complain when others that use the current marketing tools (yeah, its bragging. yeah, it's using that new fangled 'interweb' thingie) get customers by their actions. If one feels that they should stand by their record in hopes that word of mouth will feed their business, good luck to ya! But as you stand alone, hoping this works, others have attacked your clientele pool directly.

They're not complaining about how they go about getting their clients. It's the fact that they get followed around & fished on top of by the hot bite chasers & new local guides who now become the "Lake Experts" because they followed other experienced guides around. Plus the way these guys exploited the lake leaves little to be desired.

This past fall I had a spot all to myself for all of maybe 30 minutes until 3 well known guides (hot bite chasers) come along & start fishing my drift. LSC has gotten so over guided that there's more guide boats casting for musky than there are just regular Joe's casting for musky.

Edited by Zib 1/19/2017 7:27 AM
Slamr
Posted 1/19/2017 10:16 AM (#846723 - in reply to #846703)

Zib - 1/19/2017 7:20 AM

Slamr - 1/18/2017 2:06 PM

They're not complaining about how they go about getting their clients. It's the fact that they get followed around & fished on top of by the hot bite chasers & new local guides who now become the "Lake Experts" because they followed other experienced guides around. Plus the way these guys exploited the lake leaves little to be desired.

This past fall I had a spot all to myself for all of maybe 30 minutes until 3 well known guides (hot bite chasers) come along & start fishing my drift. LSC has gotten so over guided that there's more guide boats casting for musky than there are just regular Joe's casting for musky.

I'm going to be sarcastic for a moment: it must suck to have to compete for spots on a 430 square mile lake. We all know its a low density fishery and fish are scarce!

On a more serious note: that would suck. People not from there come there, fish the lake, catch fish, then bring others to YOUR lake. You might even have to find new places to fish.

Or hell, the Fox Chain in Il is only 5 hours away. Come out by us. Then you can feel what truly crowded looks like.

Ok, it was all sarcastic.
Zib
Posted 1/19/2017 10:25 AM (#846725 - in reply to #846723)

Slamr - 1/19/2017 11:16 AM
I'm going to be sarcastic for a moment: it must suck to have to compete for spots on a 430 square mile lake. We all know its a low density fishery and fish are scarce!

On a more serious note: that would suck. People not from there come there, fish the lake, catch fish, then bring others to YOUR lake. You might even have to find new places to fish.

Or hell, the Fox Chain in Il is only 5 hours away. Come out by us. Then you can feel what truly crowded looks like.

Yep a 430 square mile lake & everyone has to fish the same 100 yard stretch because they recognize a building or sand piles in the background because they seen it on 6 fishing shows or on you tube videos or guide photos. I seen a couple of boats going at it this past November fighting over a very small stretch of water that is probably the most well known spot to everyone on the Internet.

This past year when I was working a drift in 10 fow & had the 3 other guides fishing out deeper. They watch me pull in an upper 30's fish & 2 of them came right over & start working my drift because they are the most knowledgeable guides who know how to put their clients on the fish.

Edited by Zib 1/19/2017 10:28 AM
Posted 1/19/2017 10:34 AM (#846728 - in reply to #846725)

Zib - 1/19/2017 10:25 AM

Yep a 430 square mile lake & everyone has to fish the same 100 yard stretch because they recognize a building or sand piles in the background because they seen it on 6 fishing shows or on you tube videos or guide photos. I seen a couple of boats going at it this past November fighting over a very small stretch of water that is probably the most well known spot to everyone on the Internet.

This past year when I was working a drift in 10 fow & had the 3 other guides fishing out deeper. They watch me pull in an upper 30's fish & 2 of them came right over & start working my drift because they are the most knowledgeable guides who know how to put their clients on the fish.
That should benefit the lifetime guides that know the lake so well they can concentrate on other areas now and catch fish away from the boat traffic.Fish are everywhere there ,I find it funny people fighting over spots .Slamr is right you need a wake up call to the fox chain .I bet after your visit you won't say much about LSC anymore being a mob scene.I wonder how many times you have had a jet ski or tube go right thru your drift like the fox chain.

Edited by 0723 1/19/2017 10:56 AM
Slamr
Posted 1/19/2017 10:53 AM (#846730 - in reply to #846725)

Zib - 1/19/2017 10:25 AM

Sounds like you might want to find new places to fish away from those others?
Zib
Posted 1/19/2017 11:03 AM (#846733 - in reply to #846728)

0723 - 1/19/2017 11:34 AM
That should benefit the lifetime guides that know the lake so well they can concentrate on other areas now and catch fish away from the boat traffic.Fish are everywhere there ,I find it funny people fighting over spots .Slamr is right you need a wake up call to the fox chain .I bet after your visit you won't say much about LSC anymore being a mob scene.I wonder how many times you have had a jet ski or tube go right thru your drift like the fox chain.

I'll take a jet ski going through my drift over a 33' tuna boat any day. When these well known guides that guys praise are the ones cutting off my drift in order to get on fish it tends to pee you off. It's a lot easier for them in their 21 foot Rangers & Tuffy's to drive across the lake to another spot than it is for me in my 14'5" tin can.
Slamr
Posted 1/19/2017 12:54 PM (#846753 - in reply to #846733)

Zib - 1/19/2017 11:03 AM

I'll take a jet ski going through my drift over a 33' tuna boat any day. When these well known guides that guys praise are the ones cutting off my drift in order to get on fish it tends to pee you off. It's a lot easier for them in their 21 foot Rangers & Tuffy's to drive across the lake to another spot than it is for me in my 14'5" tin can.

So it just kinda sucks that you can only afford a small boat. Sorry dude.
Zib
Posted 1/19/2017 1:15 PM (#846758 - in reply to #846753)

Slamr - 1/19/2017 1:54 PM

Having a wife that doesn't work due to health issues that carries lots of dr. bills plus private school tuition for my kids I sacrifice not getting that new Ranger. I do however, boat whore on some Ranger 620's & some Yar-Crafts whenever I get the chance.
Slamr
Posted 1/19/2017 1:31 PM (#846763 - in reply to #846758)

Zib - 1/19/2017 1:15 PM

Slamr - 1/19/2017 1:54 PM

Having a wife that doesn't work due to health issues that carries lots of dr. bills plus private school tuition for my kids I sacrifice not getting that new Ranger. I do however, boat whore on some Ranger 620's & some Yar-Crafts whenever I get the chance. :)

Sounds like you're making healthy "life choices"! Time to make more friends with big boats!
Zib
Posted 1/19/2017 1:39 PM (#846767 - in reply to #846763)

Slamr - 1/19/2017 2:31 PM

Sounds like you're making healthy "life choices"! Time to make more friends with big boats!

I've done that. Problem is some of those friends went & got their wife's pregnant so their fishing time is now limited or non-existent.
Posted 1/19/2017 1:53 PM (#846770 - in reply to #846733)

Zib - 1/19/2017 11:03 AM

We have giant speed boats from miami vice, airplanes landing at fox chain .Fox is like nothing you ever seen and im minutes from lake michigan.We have boats that belong on lsc that come on the fox and go maximum speed.Why I Have no idea.

Edited by 0723 1/19/2017 1:55 PM
Posted 1/19/2017 2:00 PM (#846771 - in reply to #846770)

Fox is like that captain rodney dangerfield scene from caddyshack all day long somedays.
esoxaddict
Posted 1/19/2017 4:00 PM (#846790 - in reply to #845785)

I grew up fishing on a small crowded lake, where the noise starts at 10:00 am and you have a parade of boats racing around the lake all day. I've fished around the Madison area lakes, Cave Run, Pewaukee, Ocauchee, Lake Michigan, Lake Superior, Lakes in Hayward, all around the Northwoods, Eagle and many others. There is NOTHING I've seen in my life like the Fox Chain on a Saturday afternoon.

I was less afraid for my life out on lake Michigan in a little 16' runabout in 8-10 footers, taking waves over the bow and the sides of the boat, taking turns bailing the boat with buckets. When you see that Donzi roaring your way at wide open throttle and you realize there are so many boats he can't get around you, and you're not even sure he can see straight after a dozen old Milwaukees? Yeah. THAT'S fishing. Only place I know of where there are actually fatal boat collisions.
Fishen-ski's
Posted 1/19/2017 4:25 PM (#846792 - in reply to #846790)

Man, reading about the Fox Chain comments makes me laugh but so true on the weekends. Gave me a flashback
to this summer, my son & I happened to be moving some fish right in the channel connecting Channel to Marie,
(which also happens to be the main boat thru fare), but mind you it's like 7:15am. We're moving back & forth across
the area casting trying to get the fish we had just moved. All of a sudden I hear engines sounding like a 747. I look
up and here comes the Miami vice guy roaring out of Catherine into Channel at full boar. We're still crossing in front of the
bridge on Channel. Within seconds this guy is swinging around and boring down right on us. He comes in at full throttle
& sets it down about 30 ft. from us looking to cross into Marie. The wake he threw had us grabbing for something to hang
on to. It was the most inconsiderate act I've witnessed and I fish the chain a lot. When I caught my balance, I had some
choice words for Mr. Speedboat. He yells that I shouldn't be fishing in the channel and I reminded him that it's only
7:00 am in the morning. Lost my temper bad, takes a lot of fun out of fishing, could really use some kind of boating rules
to help out the fisherman. I think a lot of speed boaters screw w/musky guys on purpose, sure seems like it. LOL.
esoxaddict
Posted 1/19/2017 7:18 PM (#846805 - in reply to #846792)

They do. We had a guy drive between us and the shoreline we were casting, literally right over our lines. I won't repeat what I said to him, but his response was "Hey, I've got kids in the boat!!"... My response was along the lines of "Good! The sooner your kids learn what an idiot f-ing d-bag you are the better off they will be!!"

Ruined the day until my buddy looked at me and said "Daddy? What's a f-ing d-bag? And why was that man yelling at you??"

Guessing his day turned out worse than ours...
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)