Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Al Linder Video/ Larry Ramsell

Message Subject: Al Linder Video/ Larry Ramsell
Juhas
Posted 1/20/2017 5:27 AM (#846833)
Subject: Al Linder Video/ Larry Ramsell

There is a video going around Face Book where Al Linder is talking about a conversation he had with Larry Ramsell. A comment was made that there was basically no reproduction in Wisconsin. I believe Larry's son chimed in and said that the reproduction cannot maintain a fishable population. Why is this? Has natural reproduction dropped off or has fishing increased to the point where natural reproduction cant keep up with it?
Chris

Edited by Juhas 1/20/2017 5:38 AM
horsehunter
Posted 1/20/2017 7:28 AM (#846839 - in reply to #846833)
Subject: Re: Al Linder Video/ Larry Ramsell

can you post a link
Will Schultz
Posted 1/20/2017 9:21 AM (#846863 - in reply to #846833)

embed didn't work...

Edited by Will Schultz 1/20/2017 10:12 AM
Chemi
Posted 1/20/2017 9:46 AM (#846872 - in reply to #846833)
Subject: RE: Al Linder Video/ Larry Ramsell

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fa...
Flambeauski
Posted 1/20/2017 10:18 AM (#846877 - in reply to #846833)

I think there was a misunderstanding. No reproduction in MN (except Leech and Cass?)
There's a crapload of natural reproduction in WI.
Will Schultz
Posted 1/20/2017 10:21 AM (#846879 - in reply to #846877)

Flambeauski - 1/20/2017 11:18 AM I think there was a misunderstanding. No reproduction in MN (except Leech and Cass?) There's a crapload of natural reproduction in WI.

Agree, I'm sure LR will clear it up.

Kirby Budrow
Posted 1/20/2017 11:32 AM (#846881 - in reply to #846877)

Flambeauski - 1/20/2017 10:18 AM

I think there was a misunderstanding. No reproduction in MN (except Leech and Cass?)

Crap load in MN too.
BigC
Posted 1/20/2017 1:32 PM (#846894 - in reply to #846833)

There's also stocking (Lake Nippising) in Ontario.

Edited by BigC 1/20/2017 1:34 PM
horsehunter
Posted 1/20/2017 1:49 PM (#846896 - in reply to #846894)

BigC - 1/20/2017 2:32 PM

There's also stocking (Lake Nippising) in Ontario.

I haven't heard about stocking on Lake Nipipising but there has been an ongoing project with OMNR, Trent University, and Muskies Canada trying to reestablish a population in Lake Simcoe. ( There is no open season for muskies at this point. ) The last two years SOME members of Muskies Canada have been able to fish under a special permit. A couple of fish were caught through the ice and i think they turned out to have migrated from the Kawarthas rather than the stocked Georgian Bay strain.

A few years back there was a n attempt to reestablish a population at the Spanish River. I haven't heard anything about that for a while and don't know the results.

Edited by horsehunter 1/20/2017 1:56 PM
dfkiii
Posted 1/20/2017 2:23 PM (#846899 - in reply to #846877)

Flambeauski - 1/20/2017 10:18 AM

Agreed. I'm catching little ones and hybrids almost every year from the lakes we're on and there hasn't been any stocking there in a number of years.
Larry Ramsell
Posted 1/20/2017 2:41 PM (#846901 - in reply to #846833)

Please allow me to clarify a couple of things, as in conversation, things can be misunderstood. What I told Al was that "in the Hayward area", in the majority of known "trophy lakes" (or should be trophy lakes) there is INSUFFICENT natural reproduction to sustain trophy fishing and since stocking here too is far from what is needed, these trophy lakes are fast losing ground and in fact, are or have become "has beens". In addition, there is no known or proven natural reproduction from any hatchery stocked muskie in lakes here. Yes, there are a few lakes here that have natural reproduction to sustain them, but the are NOT trophy muskie lakes!

I won't go into other factors or reasons, we have been down that road before and it isn't a well received topic here on MF.

As for Ontario, there is no stocking program...including Nippising (sp). The only stocking done in Ontario is for re-introduction (Spanish River as noted and Lake Simcoe as noted by Horsehunter).

Minnesota reproduction is occurring in almost every muskie lake there, but in cases like Vermilion and Mille Lacs, the reduction in stocking has been detrimental as those fisheries (both NATIVE muskie lakes) have not yet developed a sufficient resident population to allow stocking abatement AND the great fishing of the recent past. While those lakes still put out tremendous trophy fish, the numbers of same are down.

Edited by Larry Ramsell 1/20/2017 3:30 PM
dfkiii
Posted 1/20/2017 10:30 PM (#846963 - in reply to #846901)

Larry Ramsell - 1/20/2017 2:41 PM

Please allow me to clarify a couple of things, as in conversation, things can be misunderstood. What I told Al was that "in the Hayward area", in the majority of known "trophy lakes" (or should be trophy lakes) there is INSUFFICENT natural reproduction to sustain trophy fishing and since stocking here too is far from what is needed, these trophy lakes are fast losing ground and in fact, are or have become "has beens". In addition, there is no known or proven natural reproduction from any hatchery stocked muskie in lakes here. Yes, there are a few lakes here that have natural reproduction to sustain them, but the are NOT trophy muskie lakes!

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the clarification Larry.
Peter Stoltman
Posted 1/21/2017 11:55 AM (#847000 - in reply to #846833)

Thanks for the clarification Larry. I had a few messages back and forth with your grandson about this. Seems like a nice young man. I was pretty surprised to hear Al directly (mis)quoting you especially given the fact that he has obvious respect for your years of research. I probably jumped the gun myself by thinking "what the heck is Larry talking about" (NO natural reproduction of muskies in Wisconsin). Glad you took the time to come online to clear that up.
BigC
Posted 1/23/2017 1:20 PM (#847221 - in reply to #846833)

I knew it was one of those lakes...Simcoe it is.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)