Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Pete. Pete, Pete, Pete, big fish Pete!" - Gillespie
- (Added by: BALDY)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Big "classic" HairJig

Message Subject: Big "classic" HairJig
PikePeter
Posted 11/11/2016 4:10 AM (#836268)
Subject: Big "classic" HairJig

As a swede I am feeling a bit lonely when it comes to me fishing big hair jigs, not many other fishermen around here use them, and the few that does is using them exclusively for targeting halibut and other huge deep-water fish off of the coasts of norway most of the times.

Is big hair-jigs something you guys as muskie-anglers ever use?
I ususally use my hairjigs in deep water for some suspended pike, using them basically everywhere, rivers, lakes, the ocean, the lot, seems to work OK everywhere.
Usually I'll use them just straight up jigging, never really used them much for casting, but, might be useful even in that application? dunno? never really used them in that fashion?
Biggest fishes on my hair-jigs have "traditionally" come at places close to man-made structure or deep man-made holes in rivers (bridges, industrial-sized docks and the likes).

Anybody else love and use these old puppies anymore?

Dunno how you guys do to upload pics that are big???
I always seem to have either too big pics to be allowed upload or they'll be accepted but then in the size of like a thumbnail :D so I'll just link my latest tied hair-jig as an example of what I mean:

https://www.facebook.com/OKspinners/posts/1628096997483938?pnref=sto...

and, no, I promise, this is not a shameless plug for me or any kind of click-bait/selling going on as I don't really sell the stuff I make!
I just make them for my own use and amusement, I love making hairjigs and spinners!
And, you sure need some other hobbies except for fishing when living where I live and not really liking ice-fishing... there ice basically everywhere now... for a looong long time at that... already longing for spring is not a good thing when that is months and months away...

kind and icy regards from the north of sweden!!!
/peter

Edited by PikePeter 11/11/2016 4:11 AM
jdsplasher
Posted 11/11/2016 7:54 AM (#836279 - in reply to #836268)
Subject: RE: Big "classic" HairJig

Peter: Yes, We tie hair jigs back in the states. Work well with Live bait, chub or sucker, and yes, I attach a stinger to my live bait. Or, a nice hand poured creature is another dressing used.

Here is a pic of a 3/4 oz swimmerhead I poured up. I like to incorporate tinsel and hackle feathers in my jigs also.

JD

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_0508.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0508.JPG (53KB - 390 downloads)
PikePeter
Posted 11/12/2016 3:26 AM (#836365 - in reply to #836279)
Subject: Re: Big "classic" HairJig

AWESOME!!!
really nice to hear!!! Looks NICE!!!

Cool that you are (if I understood correctly?) pouring your own heads!!!
For me I have found a good supplier of reasonably priced heads that I have stuck to for the last few years, but, would like to start making my own someday! Would be very practical as one could then make the size and shape you prefer!

Still, the ones I am using are really a bargain, I usually use the 7oz ones for my big hair jigs. The one I tied yesterday clocked in at 7.5oz with my addition of extra treble and my spinnerblade of choice.
Unfortunately I can not, for the life of me, properly resize and upload any pics so the link will have to do...
actually, to be honest, right now I am even unable to find any way to upload an image? something I am sure I have seen some symbol for before somewhere??? well, no worries, dunno how I'd get the pic resized in a good way anyways, I'll just have to live with the fact I am computally challenged or something... :D

kind regards
/peter
jdsplasher
Posted 11/13/2016 6:48 AM (#836408 - in reply to #836365)
Subject: Re: Big "classic" HairJig

Yes Peter; Pour my own Jigs!! Also pour these BAT's...(Big ASS Trailers) Plastic trailers...Jumbo Splittails!

You can attach these with a large eye trailer hook, to your jig, like you do on a spinnerbait . It gives it a larger profile. Also it adds a stinger hook.  Or, If you want a more compact presentation, superglue your BAT, right to the collar of your jig OR hair jig!

JD

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_0507.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0507.JPG (108KB - 426 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)