Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Which lure/color would you choose for each water body type? Natural Lakes, Reservoirs, Rivers...

Message Subject: Which lure/color would you choose for each water body type? Natural Lakes, Reservoirs, Rivers...
Reelwise
Posted 10/10/2016 2:16 PM (#832848)
Subject: Which lure/color would you choose for each water body type? Natural Lakes, Reservoirs, Rivers...

I hope everyone is having a great day. I myself am having a hard time making a decision... Fortunately, it is not one that I absolutely must make. There are a lot of important things going on in the world, so this will not last too long. I believe we should simply go fishing and enjoy our time... and I know there are other, more important things to be doing with some of the time we have the opportunity to spend and share with others - but, does anyone have this thing going on where you have to think about Muskellunge and/or fishing every single day whether you are fishing or not?

I want to believe someone somewhere out there is putting this exact thought into play...

If you were to decide to use one specific lure and color on each of the following, specific water body types... which would you choose?

I hope you do not mind, but I also listed the lures I think I would use and why.

'Natural' Lake - Magnum Shallow Invader, White... Water color can vary, but one of my favorite lakes that might not necessarily be natural (but fits the profile) is very clear much of the time.

Reservoir - 8" Grandma, Firetiger... Water color in these water bodies tend to be on the darker side in most of the reservoirs I have had the opportunity to spend time on with others.

Shallow River - 6" Jake, Black... Water color is constantly changing along with extreme changes in water level.

Deep River - Baby Depth Raider, Brown/Gold - Matt G finish... Just a standard carp/sucker looking color that just so happens to also look somewhat like a Walleye's color also. That may or may not be a good thing.

LSC - I would have to go with one of the many giant twister tails available in the Muskellunge community in white, black, or firetiger... I can not decide. Maybe a goldish color... but, it is hard for me to believe that Muskellunge will often/if ever target Walleye as far as food/energy consumption goes. I do believe that if the Muskellunge senses that a 'little-but a lot of fish eating' Walleye is under duress - it may decide to have a little snack considering this weak link in the food chain might end up using some resources the healthy fish prefer to have for themselves. Who knows... Maybe the Muskellunge is trying to save the Walleye from vanishing into a whole new world. Maybe the Muskellunge just wants to get caught itself so it can see the other side. Or, maybe the Muskellunge is an adrenaline junkie. Who knows... All I know is I have never caught a Muskellunge on live bait... and I have tried quite a few times. I know it is possible... I have witnessed a good friend catch a Muskellunge on a sucker once. The coldest time of the year before the next and the fish were still triggered by the lures more often. I know I know... Suckers can work awesome.

What would you choose on the world's most natural Muskellunge lake?

Here is the twist...

No modifications may be done to the lure. You are allowed to attach weights to your line in order to get your lure as deep as you need in order for it to work somewhat properly when trying to keep your lure in a zone it might not be able to reach without modification.

I hope you guys would like to chat about THE ONE when it comes to the lure you want to cast, troll, or simply stand up and figure 8 all day or all season long if things really came down to it. I was kind of inspired by an earlier post where someone mentioned that we should not take fishing as serious as some of us do... I love logging in and seeing what you all have to share and all I do is think and try and come up with new ideas, think about why what is what, and how or why things happen or not. In reality... I think we can all agree that there are many lures that can and should be used if you think about using them considering the number of situations and conditions we can randomly encounter. I just think it would be cool to stick with one single bait all season. Changing baits the following season would be even more awesome. Comparing results from the two would lead to more thinking... I can not stop. One always leads to two...

I should have just asked you guys if being obsessed with fishing is normal in order to keep any negative thoughts anyone may have after reading - out of sight. I hope to keep things positive.

Enjoy the day everyone. I apologize for trying to tell you what to do by saying you are not allowed to imagine the thought of modifying your lures in response to my questions. I think the playing field should be a little level if we are going to compare results and actions triggered by each individual lure.

Where did the poll option go?

One more thing... May I ask why you would go with your final thoughts?

I love this website.
scmuskies
Posted 10/10/2016 2:40 PM (#832860 - in reply to #832848)
Subject: Re: Which lure/color would you choose for each water body type? Natural Lakes, Reservoirs, Rivers...

Put a quickstrike on a box of Crayola's - that should cover all the colors (unless you can't afford the 64 pack).

sc
14ledo81
Posted 10/10/2016 2:44 PM (#832862 - in reply to #832848)
Subject: Re: Which lure/color would you choose for each water body type? Natural Lakes, Reservoirs, Rivers...

Just a note on clear water lakes. If I am moving the bait fast, I like to use black. If I am moving the bait slow, then I like a natural pattern (perch, walleye).
Reelwise
Posted 10/10/2016 4:23 PM (#832885 - in reply to #832848)

scmuskies... I know what you mean. Hard to figure everything out while trying to figure everything out at once though. It can be done... if there is time. All the lures can be fun to look at though.

14ledo81... I like to use white lures at high speeds in dark water
muskydope
Posted 10/10/2016 5:45 PM (#832899 - in reply to #832848)

Lure color and choice usually has more to do with water color/clarity than the type of body of water your fishing. Also cloudy or sunny etc. will have some affect on lure color. Generally clearer water equals more natural colors, stained brighter colors. Same with clouds/ sunny conditions.
Reelwise
Posted 10/11/2016 6:10 AM (#832946 - in reply to #832848)

With that being said... the make up of the lake or river structure-wise and cover-wise will overrule water clarity when it comes to lure selection more often than not... which can vary with more variations than water color alone.

Also, keep in mind that not every fish from one body of the water to the next is the same... let alone fish located in the same body of water. If these fish could talk, they would all tell us something different :P Generally... white lures have been the best for me in dirty water while the bright/flouro colors have been best in clearer waters. Lots and lots of time on the water and I still find this funny... because, it is so true and still... I can not avoid people trying to tell me I am out of my mind when I say something like that, regardless of the fact that I have seen this play out with my own eyes too many times for me to think I am not awake when I am experiencing this

Then again... some guys have caught more 50 inchers on purple Bass worms than I have on anything else combined.

So, which baits would you choose?

I threw out my favorites, but if it came down to the point where I was really, really forced to choose one single bait for any given place on earth... It would have to be a Storm Wildeye Swimshad.

Fish eat other fish... why not cast something that looks like a fish? Right Cory?

I like the natural variables to start out... The basics usually advance with more consistency than the advanced.

It's almost like every day really is a new day sometimes.

Edited by Reelwise 10/11/2016 6:14 AM
Reelwise
Posted 10/11/2016 6:15 AM (#832947 - in reply to #832848)

Oh yeah... I think I know why... The dirty water lakes usually have shad and the clear water lakes are generally stocked with Muskies that may have been fed Goldfish before they were released into the wild :P

Gotta love it.
14ledo81
Posted 10/11/2016 9:22 AM (#832965 - in reply to #832885)

Reelwise - 10/10/2016 4:23 PM

scmuskies... I know what you mean. Hard to figure everything out while trying to figure everything out at once though. It can be done... if there is time. All the lures can be fun to look at though.

14ledo81... I like to use white lures at high speeds in dark water :)

I do the same. My favorite stained water bucktail is nickel/white.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)