Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Never, EVER, take a knee in the Pursuit that is your life! You only get one shot at anything, and Fair Catches are for those who choose not to Stand and Deliver, So do not pi$$ it all away! GO HARD, or stay home!"
- (Added by: muskynightmare)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> should i use 1/2" thick poplar for new cranks im making?

Message Subject: should i use 1/2" thick poplar for new cranks im making?
riverratlurecompany
Posted 9/20/2016 9:03 PM (#830933)
Subject: should i use 1/2" thick poplar for new cranks im making?

Im having trouble finding 1/2" western red cedar, at my local lumber yards, to make some grandma style cranks/twitch baits out of...Anyone have any experience with using poplar? It is similar in density and i would think the action would be similar...i seal all my wood lures with thinned spar urethane and use plenty of coats of thinned devcon 2 ton as a clear coat so im not too worried about water soaking in and swelling the bait...just wondering if it would be a decent choice since it is readily available and inexpensive...the only experience i have with making cranks/twitch baits has been with balsa but i wanted something a little more durable....Thanks in advance!
esox911
Posted 9/21/2016 3:39 PM (#830994 - in reply to #830933)
Subject: RE: should i use 1/2" thick poplar for new cranks im making?

I have used POPLAR before--it works Fine---Just seal like your planning--It swells when it get wets. If you have a Table saw or access too 1 you can always rip the cedar down to whatever you want--I have done that also with 2" thick cedar ripping into 1/2 x 2" strips.
spinnerbayt
Posted 9/22/2016 7:28 AM (#831035 - in reply to #830933)
Subject: Re: should i use 1/2" thick poplar for new cranks im making?

Poplar is a fine wood for lure making as long as you take precautions that keep the water out. I have many gliders, twitches, and cranks made from poplar and they've caught tons of fish.
riverratlurecompany
Posted 9/23/2016 4:02 PM (#831190 - in reply to #830933)

ill probably just rip the cedar...not sure why i didnt think of doing that to begin with...almost bought a planer because i didnt like the idea of using poplar for some reason
woodieb8
Posted 9/25/2016 8:16 AM (#831339 - in reply to #830933)

we neverusevpoplar. if you want 1/2 cedar buy cedar fence boards at lowes/homie depot.. we rip all of our lumber here. to get quality boards be prepared to do that.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)