Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Rain/Storms all week... Game plan?

Message Subject: Rain/Storms all week... Game plan?
TheShow
Posted 9/7/2016 10:40 PM (#829712)
Subject: Rain/Storms all week... Game plan?

I'll be heading to northern WI Saturday for 5 days. From the sounds of it they've had rain and storms all week, with more to come til the weekend. A little post cold front clearing arriving Saturday.

I'm thinking I may have to adjust my game plan to contact fish... Would you anticipate the fish to be tight to cover? Shallow? Slow my presentations down?

I've fished post cold fronts before, but from what I've been reading this has been a pretty intense week of weather.
Thanks
Fishysam
Posted 9/8/2016 9:57 AM (#829747 - in reply to #829712)
Subject: Re: Rain/Storms all week... Game plan?

I fish the deep edge of the thinnest weeds in the lake with a mag dog or a jerk bait... Slow and deep traveling .3mph

Edited by Fishysam 9/8/2016 10:18 AM
jonnysled
Posted 9/8/2016 10:00 AM (#829749 - in reply to #829747)

the intensity came in rain via big lightning storms on tuesday and then just low pressure and steady rain all week, sun is out now with continued forecast for rain but not storms ... it never really cooled down a whole lot so i'd say it's been pretty stable should see water temps. in the mid-high 60's but i haven't been out at all this week. lots of water >4" in most places around the Minocqua Eagle River area.
Musky952
Posted 9/8/2016 10:37 AM (#829761 - in reply to #829712)

So I don't mean to get off topic but thought this would fit in this post. Do you guys fish through storms and produce fish? I feel that I have heard from many people that once it storms the fish turn off until their is a little more consistency (2-3 days of the same weather). Does this hold true? should I not be wasting my time in the storms or after a storm has rolled through?

Obviously you can put fish in the boat at anytime but I'm just looking for the "in general" circumstance.

Thanks guys!
btfish
Posted 9/8/2016 1:01 PM (#829787 - in reply to #829761)

I have been out in N Wis every evening this week fishing waters I know very well. Water temp last night was 72-73. I have fished shallow and deep, switching every other spot. I have stuck 2 okay fish and have seen 8 more. Only saw 1 shallow, the ones I stuck were on open water structure, no weeds for several 100 yards.

Not the pattern one would expect, but the entire year has been different.
Fishysam
Posted 9/8/2016 1:30 PM (#829793 - in reply to #829712)

Fishing through a storm is the best if you can enjoy yourself. And I have got fish after its pased. Any day on the water is a good day
esoxaddict
Posted 9/8/2016 1:43 PM (#829795 - in reply to #829793)

My experience has been that when the hard rain starts, the fish shut down. As soon as it slows to a light rain (or stops) they start moving again. Could be that you just can't see them following when it's pouring, but I have yet to catch a fish in a heavy downpour. Some of my best fishing ever has been before, after, and in between storms, though. Unless there's a lot of lightning, I'd stick it out.
tkuntz
Posted 9/8/2016 2:08 PM (#829799 - in reply to #829712)

My best hour of muskie activity was shortly after a rain storm. I was on LOTW last July when it started to absolutely pour so I just stopped and walleye fished for an hour until it stopped. As soon as the rain slowed down I was on plane to a shallow weedy bay guarded by a reef that sticks out into deep water. I stuck a small pike on a bucktail first cast and an absolute tanker stole it from me boatside, ripped the thing right off. Over the next hour I landed two and saw at least 4 more fish in the same area. Just like that the bite was over and I didn't see anything the rest of the day.

My only explanation is that (possibly) the rain knocked bugs off of the reeds in the bay bringing bait in to feast, which then brought the predators.
scsep178
Posted 9/8/2016 3:00 PM (#829806 - in reply to #829712)

I was out last night, no rain, but had some storms rumble through nearby. Water was glas. Slightly humid. I concentrated on a shallow flat that I know holds fish. Only moved one mid-40s fish that bit short on the 8 and disappeared. Thought they would be a lot more active, but I had no such luck.

Edited by scsep178 9/8/2016 3:32 PM
RandalB
Posted 9/8/2016 3:41 PM (#829812 - in reply to #829712)

Best Hour I've ever had was on St. Clair as a thunderstorm came in to the SW..
Non stop action until we had to flee...

RandalB
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)