Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> LOTW Sab Bay 8/13 - 8/20 Advice for a First Timer

Message Subject: LOTW Sab Bay 8/13 - 8/20 Advice for a First Timer
emo_musky1
Posted 7/26/2016 6:20 AM (#824968)
Subject: LOTW Sab Bay 8/13 - 8/20 Advice for a First Timer

Heading up to Canada for the first time and am looking for advice. I'll be up there with my significant other and she is newer to the sport. I really want to make sure she has a good time and we catch some fish. I've done a decent amount of research, have map chips and a map.
From what I read, the muskies are muskies up there - fish structure and use bucktails / topwater. If you are not seeing fish on rock, look for weeks. Tough times might call for cranks and dive and rise in thicker weeds. Like everywhere, weather matters.
Any tips / techniques for us first timers? How fast are you reeling in your bucktails / topwater? Are there color patterns that seem to work better? Assuming weather is good, are dbl 10s best or 12s, 8s, ? When weather is poor, what are you doing to catch fish? Is a certain facing (South, West, ...) structure usually better or is it just wind blown?
We will be staying at Mylies Place. Are there any spots folks would recommend we try (doesn't have to be GPS coordinates / just generalities)? If anyone is staying up there around the same time and is willing to exchange information I would appreciate that as well.
If you prefer to PM me, please do.

Thank you,

Eric
NickD
Posted 7/26/2016 7:45 AM (#824976 - in reply to #824968)
Subject: Re: LOTW Sab Bay 8/13 - 8/20 Advice for a First Timer

Read Dick Pearson's muskies on the shield and just go fishing. Bucktails, cranks, and topwaters are what I have my boat focus on. By mid august I wouldn't worry about weeds much. There just aren't that many around but if you find a good looking spot with a nice cabbage patch it just makes the spot that much better. If the wind allows offshore reefs are always great up there. Main lake points etc. Find a few saddles to keep them honest. If times are slow don't be afraid to pound the rocks with cranks and jerks to trigger a strike. Blade size is day by day gotta experiment. Pretty dark water in most areas you will likely be fishing so I wouldn't worry too much about wind as it just makes it more difficult for a first timer to avoid rocks while casting. The fish up there certainly have no issue sitting in calm water up shallow on rocks.

Does your significant other like big waves? If not be cautious of heading west as there are some true roller opportunities to the west of Mylies on windy west days. But watch the forecast as there is lots of good water that way too. My wife really enjoyed beach dinners on our trip to a different shield water in June so maybe plan a few of those to keep things fun for her too.

I was just west of Mylies at BVR in July and will be there again before your trip. I like to wander all over creation up there but realistically if you draw a 5 mile circle around your resort you are in good musky water.

Any other questions just let me know or PM me.
Musky Brian
Posted 7/26/2016 7:56 AM (#824978 - in reply to #824968)

If you want to do something simple yet effective, take your map and start circling all the "stars" you see that are close to shore/islands, or clusters of them. Start hopping from one to the next and you are bound to be contacting fish.
cwestly
Posted 7/26/2016 11:42 AM (#825021 - in reply to #824978)

Justin at Mylies will mark up a map with plenty of good spots to try close to camp. We were there late August last year and made contact with fish at many of the spots he marked all within a 10 minute boat ride for the most part.
emo_musky1
Posted 7/26/2016 8:15 PM (#825091 - in reply to #824968)

Thank you all for the information. I have read Muskies on the Shield and found it very informative (can't wait to apply what I've read). I'm happy to hear that we don't necessarily have to fish the wind blown structure to see fish. Makes it easier if it gets too windy. We have the 6214 map and have looked at it / marked a few spots I feel have potential. I also emailed Justin and requested we chat a bit when we arrive and he agreed to.
I do have a question about shore lunches - are there designated areas to do this or do the landowners not care?
Thanks again,

Eric
NickD
Posted 7/27/2016 12:28 PM (#825154 - in reply to #824968)

The vast majority of the islands are crown land. Just avoid setting up on the beach next to someones cabin/dock. PM if you need a few beach spots.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)