Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> St Croix mojo musky and reel set up?

Message Subject: St Croix mojo musky and reel set up?
smithy97
Posted 7/22/2016 10:48 PM (#824598)
Subject: St Croix mojo musky and reel set up?

I'm thinking of grabbing an 8' heavy mojo musky for throwing double 10's, and medium weight plastics (max 6-7oz). I know many people rave about the sling blade or big dawg for these applications, but I'm on a budget. I'd like to find a good priced rod for these applications, and hopefully pair it with a revo toro s, or the new komodo ss 450 when they come out. Has any body used the 8' heavy or 8'6 mojo for these applications? I would appreciate any feedback, and also any reel recommendations you have. I'm fairly new to the musky chase so I'll happily take any adice I can get.
Thanks!
Yooper Padre
Posted 7/22/2016 10:58 PM (#824599 - in reply to #824598)
Subject: Re: St Croix mojo musky and reel set up?

Mojo's a good rod, but go 8'6" and XH for throwing those big blades. There are other good choices in that price range. I'm partial to Tackle Industries rods. Do a little digging around here on the forum. Ditto on reel choices, but get out to the store to see models you're interested in and see how they feel in your hand.

Fr. K
tkuntz
Posted 7/23/2016 9:20 AM (#824611 - in reply to #824598)

I have a n 8' H mojo that I use for jerkbaits, good stick. Never thrown bucktails with it but it handles medium rubber pretty well
Fishysam
Posted 7/23/2016 10:08 AM (#824614 - in reply to #824598)

I have an 8' medium heavy, too soft
A 8.5' heavy, too soft for the speed I pull tens in
3 8.5' XH my favorite for almost every application
The mojo lineup is great I prefer there reel seats to everything I have held. Everything.
smithy97
Posted 7/23/2016 6:35 PM (#824652 - in reply to #824598)
Subject: RE: St Croix mojo musky and reel set up?

Thanks for the great info I've gotten so far. I'm kind of confused about heavy vs extra heavy- I want the rod to be able to load up and cast well, so to me that seems like the heavy action is better. For burning the 10's, I'm guessing that the xh is better? Would the 8'6'' xh be the best of bost worlds, that it has the length to cast the 10's well and also the backbone to burn them in without noodling?
14ledo81
Posted 7/23/2016 7:30 PM (#824656 - in reply to #824598)

IMO, the ideal rod for tens would be a bit more flexible (load up more) while casting, but stiffer (load less) in the figure eight. As that is not possible, people typically go with what they prefer.
Myself, I prefer having a rod that loads a bit more on the cast, so then it's a bit softer in the eight.
R code
Posted 7/23/2016 8:31 PM (#824663 - in reply to #824598)

I have a 8'6 heavy fast mojo Muskie and it throws 10 absolutely fine.
Fishysam
Posted 7/23/2016 9:58 PM (#824666 - in reply to #824598)

So my response up top is based on me, strong athletic and giving it all every cast. Now my dad would definitely be better off with a 8'6" heavy as he cant muscle up as much on the cast to load the rod up. Or set the book as hard and keep the rod loaded... So for my dad and newer partners I go lighter.
smithy97
Posted 7/23/2016 10:32 PM (#824669 - in reply to #824598)

Thanks fishysam - i'm an athletic younger (ish) guy, so I think that I could handle the extra effort in loading the xh. I wonder if for comfort and for fishing all day that I may choose the heavy instead.
I also have noticed that I can order a Tackle Industries here in Ontario Canada. These rods seem to get great reviews from tons of guys. What sucks is that I won't be able to feel the rod before ordering one. If I go 8'6 xh with TI, I'm assuming it will be similar in performance to the st croix 8'6'' heavy mojo? Same lure weight rating pretty much.
Any thoughts guys? For anyone who has a TI rod, does it have a bit more moderate action? Better for loading to cast?
Fishysam
Posted 7/23/2016 10:46 PM (#824670 - in reply to #824669)

I have a 10'6" XXH ti and it is definitely much more moderate action it loads up a lot more. And is more flexible in the 8. James at ti is confident that the action on his long rods matches his shorter rods. My 10'6" ti XXH is my 10's rod. But I don't like the reel seat / trigger as much as my mojos. I question if 10'6" is necessary. all I can say to that rod is Love the 8's but I feel weak wielding it. And I don't feel weak anywhere else.
MOJOcandy101
Posted 7/24/2016 2:32 PM (#824733 - in reply to #824598)

My big blades set us is a 8'6" xh mojo with a toro S and it's great. The only downfall I've had is the split grip, I don't' have a whole ton of meat on my ribs and after a day of casting I can definitely feel it.
banditman
Posted 7/25/2016 6:33 AM (#824791 - in reply to #824598)

I run The 8'6" Heavy Mojo with a 4.9:1 Beast with the counter weighted Power handle. You can cast big tens great with this set up.
banditman
Posted 7/25/2016 6:42 AM (#824792 - in reply to #824669)

smithy97 - 7/23/2016 10:32 PM

Thanks fishysam - i'm an athletic younger (ish) guy, so I think that I could handle the extra effort in loading the xh. I wonder if for comfort and for fishing all day that I may choose the heavy instead.
I also have noticed that I can order a Tackle Industries here in Ontario Canada. These rods seem to get great reviews from tons of guys. What sucks is that I won't be able to feel the rod before ordering one. If I go 8'6 xh with TI, I'm assuming it will be similar in performance to the st croix 8'6'' heavy mojo? Same lure weight rating pretty much.
Any thoughts guys? For anyone who has a TI rod, does it have a bit more moderate action? Better for loading to cast?

I have both TI and Mojo rods and I prefer the mojos. I can tell you that that the actions are completely different. My TI extra Heavy 9' has a very fast tip compared to the Mojo Heavy. The TI is also weighs more than the Mojo. I switched from the TI xh to the mojo heavy for throwing the big tens. It handles the lures much better, especially in the figure eight. I'm not knocking the TI rods. They are a great value for a rod and have a great warranty. I used one for a lot of years. I just like the St Croix a bit better.
smithy97
Posted 8/2/2016 5:15 PM (#825822 - in reply to #824598)

Thanks everyone for the input! Lots of great info.
I have found a used St Croix Premier 8'6'' heavy for sale not too far from me. As long as its in good shape, I'll pick this rod up and use it for my 10's and mid weight plastics. I'd love to try a xxh TI rod in the future for maybe some heavier plastics. Good to hear all the great things about both the St Croix and TI rods.
If anyone has used the Premier in 8'6'', I'd love to hear your opinions on using it for 10's and plastics.
Thanks again everyone
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)