Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> follows and provoking strikes

Message Subject: follows and provoking strikes
GFishes
Posted 7/28/2016 9:23 PM (#825322)
Subject: follows and provoking strikes

I'm a lifelong walleye and smallmouth bass fisherman from northeastern Ohio/western pa. This spring after years of seeing random muskies in my home river I decided to target them. I have put a few fish in the boat since March. . However, even more satisfying is the frequency which I am having follows. Every trip out where I target them I will at least have a follow. While a follow is still pretty cool. Definitely still get the shakes, I want to start increasing my follow to hookup ratio.

Today I had 3 of what I would consider a soft follow. 1 fish that followed and even did half a figure eight at the boat. One fish that smashed a whopper plopper and came completely out of the water but missed.

When you get a follow. Do you immediately throw back in the direction of the follow with the same lure? Is it a good idea to have a different lure ready to throw? For instance, two of my follows today were on black 10 sized buck tail. Should I have a bulldawg ready as a follow up?

Thanks for any advice.
-Greg

Edited by GFishes 7/28/2016 9:26 PM
Thuawk
Posted 7/28/2016 10:27 PM (#825326 - in reply to #825322)
Subject: Re: follows and provoking strikes

I caught a 44".... 2 hours ago doing exactly what you described. Had the fish come in on a jackpot.... Threw a soft plastic back over where the fish was seen. And boom. Only fish I seen all day. So yup it works
GFishes
Posted 7/28/2016 10:51 PM (#825328 - in reply to #825322)

Congrats on the fish! I will try having a follow up lure tomorrow morning. I ordered a Mr Whiggley. It's not here yet but I feel like this would be a great follow up lure.
tkuntz
Posted 7/29/2016 6:30 AM (#825341 - in reply to #825322)

Soft plastics, jigs, gliders or anything else with a slow cadence will be great follow up options. I got a nice one on a large bass style jig this spring after she missed a fast moving crankbait.
Nershi
Posted 7/29/2016 8:24 AM (#825362 - in reply to #825322)

Do a search on here for figure eight techniques and throwback lures. There have been lots of threads on the topics. You can also do a lot of things before they get to the boat to entice a strike, depending on the lure.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)