Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Spinner Baits

Message Subject: Spinner Baits
Mudpuppy
Posted 11/6/2016 9:04 AM (#835712)
Subject: Spinner Baits

Musky Friends,

There is one have type I have neglected for, oh say 50 years. I have been experimenting in the basement and on my pond with several versions of spinnerbaits, bucktail willowleaf, marabou-Colorado, tinsel ect. All look great in the water. I guess for 17 this old dog is going ton give them a real try

What has your success been on shield lakes, and what type do you prefer.

Sure like to hear from you.

Mudpuppy
NathanH
Posted 11/6/2016 9:33 AM (#835715 - in reply to #835712)
Subject: RE: Spinner Baits

I cannot speak to a sheild lake but each style has its place. I know Steve fishes allot of spinnerbaits so he might be the best person to comment. I'm a fan of a slender head and a short arm for getting through weeds. My current favorite has a willow leaf blade. Best of luck.
tkuntz
Posted 11/6/2016 9:45 AM (#835717 - in reply to #835712)
Subject: Re: Spinner Baits

I'm a huge fan of safari brand with the custom large willow leaf blade. It's a large profile bait with lots of thump that still snakes through weeds well. In my experience willow blades lay down when they contact vegetation vs wrap up in it like Colorado blades.

I fish spinnerbaits any time I have issues bringing regular lures through weeds. Their fish attracting powers are incredible
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 11/6/2016 11:44 AM (#835726 - in reply to #835712)

I like Bigtooth willow bladed spinnerbaits a lot.
sworrall
Posted 11/6/2016 12:33 PM (#835728 - in reply to #835726)

Keith builds Violent Strike, so seeing as he knows what muskies will eat and is annoyingly persnickety about how the body, blades, skirt, main hook and trailer hook interact, I run his baits. Have for years. There's a time and place for willow-leaf, and the bend in the Violent Strike blade you see elsewhere we came up with 12 years ago.

My favorite is the Number 9 single blade, that thing has caught a ton of muskies and big pike for me,barley edging out the 9/10. Indiana and Colorado blades sound and act differently, and I prefer the Indiana unless trying to slow down in heavy cover, then it's Colorado. The Revo Toro Rocket made that technique easy.

Check out his Shaky Head, that thing vibrates like it has an electric motor. Good bait. The Musky Shop is stocking them for 2017.
pklingen
Posted 11/6/2016 3:10 PM (#835740 - in reply to #835712)

i love a single #6 willow on a 2 oz. bait with silicone skirting, a large 8/0 hook and a 7/0 trailer. i always grind through and in contact with the weeds with them. the fish love m!
Fishysam
Posted 11/6/2016 7:39 PM (#835762 - in reply to #835712)

I fish deep water, made some heavy ones up to 8oz lead plus the rest, also for my application I use 2 trebles, and 10-13 blade.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)