Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> single row of gill filaments torn out

Message Subject: single row of gill filaments torn out
Big Dangler
Posted 7/6/2016 3:21 PM (#822852)
Subject: single row of gill filaments torn out

I recently had a fish catch the back end of a lure in its gill while still in a net, when i turned around to get my tools it thrashed and ripped out a single row of gill filaments. The fish stood up quickly and bolted from the boat for a nice release. Anyone have enough scientific knowledge to know if its possible for them to regenerate, or even survive?
Kirby Budrow
Posted 7/6/2016 3:30 PM (#822856 - in reply to #822852)
Subject: Re: single row of gill filaments torn out

Not scientific knowledge, but they can survive. I've caught plenty of fish with an old severed gill hanging out and they were doing just fine. I don't believe they will regenerate.
burningdubs
Posted 7/6/2016 3:32 PM (#822857 - in reply to #822852)

I don't have scientific studies nor am I a scientist but I don't think the odds are in their favor. They definitely do not regenerate.
ToddM
Posted 7/6/2016 3:35 PM (#822858 - in reply to #822852)

I have caught pike and musky with a giLloyd or a couple gills ripped out. They can survive. My best guess is it would become an issue for them being caught in very warm water.
jaultman
Posted 7/6/2016 4:11 PM (#822861 - in reply to #822852)

I think it's liken to you or I running around with a bunch of tar built up or a part of your lung removed. Slows ya down a bit but you'll make 'er.
lifeisfun
Posted 7/6/2016 5:25 PM (#822864 - in reply to #822852)

Caught several musky and pike with gill hanging out already discolored and clearly non functional.
I think they can make it.
esoxaddict
Posted 7/6/2016 5:53 PM (#822866 - in reply to #822864)

No scientific knowledge here, but I caught one a couple years ago with part of a gill hanging out. Seemed okay. Seen it on a few pike too. The only fish I've ever hooked in the gills all went tits up in the net, so I'd say your odds are about 50/50.
curleytail
Posted 7/6/2016 8:51 PM (#822872 - in reply to #822852)
Subject: RE: single row of gill filaments torn out

Same as the others. I've caught them with gills hanging out and the fish were healthy. Musky and other species too. I'm sure it can also be hazardous to their health as well so who knows.

If it wasn't bleeding badly my guess would it has a fair chance anyway.
Smell_Esox
Posted 7/7/2016 7:49 AM (#822891 - in reply to #822852)

I've seen literally hundreds of muskies in DNR spring test nets over the last 20+ years and I can honestly say, most of the live fish I've seen with a gill hanging/ripped, have been on the skinny side. I don't think they do very well with a ripped gill. If they survive (I couldn't tell you the odds of them making it) they will be in poorer condition. The tar in the lungs analogy is probably a good one.
MACK
Posted 7/7/2016 2:08 PM (#822951 - in reply to #822852)

I, too, over the years, have caught many muskies and pike...bass too...with old, torn gills, now turned white, flowing out the gill flaps and they were still healthy, swimming and feeding. I don't recall any to have been extremely thin to the point of making a mental note of it....but I could see how that could be a possibility.

If you get a fish deeply hooked and rip a gill out, they do have a fighting chance. Lots of variables to determine whether or not it will survive. But...releasing it as quickly as possible, of course, is the best chance the fish has. Yeah...the tar in the lungs of a person that smokes is a good analogy. Just like each person is affected differently, by different things, each fish is affected differently as well.

Had a muskie absolutely inhale the head of a bait, front treble hook into two of it's gills and with the aerial acrobatics the fish took during the short fight, I could barely see my bait in that fish's mouth and this was a full, mag-sized (not pounder) rubber muskie bait. Once in the net...it of course "gator rolled" which further intensified the severity of that deeply swallowed bait and those hooks around those two rows of gills. Once I saw what was going on with the fish in the net, I saw it had even folded the fills forward into the fish's mouth. Even with working as fast as I could to cut hooks, to remove the bait as swiftly as I could...I do believe the damage was already done before the fish hit the net. I was even able to fold those two rows of gills back into their correct position, to give this fish a chance, but...nonetheless...that fish simply was not going to make it. And the way this fish was hooked...even if I had been fishing with barbless hooks...this fish would have been mortally hooked regardless. Sure...getting it unhooked faster would have been easier, but cutting the hooks was still mandatory and the damage was done...barbs on hooks or no barbs on hooks.

Stuff happens. A person can't be so naive to think they'll simply lip-hook each fish perfectly every time.

But if you can get one to swim from the net...right there, there's a chance. Minimal? Maybe. But one never really knows. Stay in the area and keep and eye out for that fish. If it's large enough to be legally kept, you then decide what you'd like to do with it. If it's undersized, it's to left alone and become turtle food...it will still serve the food chain in some way.

A fish with a torn gill living on in life is no different than a three-legged deer living a fruitful life in the woods. Mother Nature manages at times. They'll find a way to adapt.

Edited by MACK 7/7/2016 2:12 PM
NPike
Posted 7/7/2016 6:37 PM (#822973 - in reply to #822951)

caught one today with a piece of gill hanging out from it's side. It happened to be plump and gave a dandy fight.
Jerry Newman
Posted 7/7/2016 8:46 PM (#822980 - in reply to #822973)

http://drowningworms.com/can-you-stop-fish-bleeding-from-the-gills-with-coke-sprite/

tkuntz
Posted 7/8/2016 7:52 AM (#823003 - in reply to #822980)

Jerry Newman - 7/7/2016 8:46 PM

http://drowningworms.com/can-you-stop-fish-bleeding-from-the-gills-with-coke-sprite/

Not actually an effective way of stopping bleeding. Fish blood coagulates immediately upon touching water, or in this case Coca Cola. Bad bleeding will not stopped by Coke any more than by pure Hydrogen Hydroxide.
djwilliams
Posted 7/9/2016 12:35 AM (#823072 - in reply to #822852)

Some posters on here saying they have caught em with "part of the gill hanging out." Do you mean gill filament or gill arch? I doubt a fish with a severed gill arch will survive the summer.
pc154
Posted 7/9/2016 8:09 PM (#823134 - in reply to #822852)

This fish was acting fine. Was damage before I caught it.

Sorry, pic too big.

Edited by pc154 7/9/2016 8:11 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)