Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "This sure Doesn't Suck!!" Jeremy trolling Shabbona with a cold beer in his hand
- (Added by: MuskieMike)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Testors Enamel/Base Coat Paint Question

Message Subject: Testors Enamel/Base Coat Paint Question
muskyhunter34
Posted 6/28/2016 8:48 AM (#822054)
Subject: Testors Enamel/Base Coat Paint Question

I am making baits using Eastern Red Cedar. I am soaking them first in sanding sealer. Then, I base coat them using Zinsser BIN Shellac based primer. I paint using Testors Enamel and seal the bait with ETEX Lite. I do not want a lot of weight added so I have been using just one coat of ETEX.

Problem: One bait it seems water has gotten under the Etex and is taking the Testors off with it.

Question: is the base coat part of my problem? Is the Testors not biting into the base coat which is allowing it to come off with the Etex. Base coat is not coming off just etex and testors.

Thoughts?

Edited by muskyhunter34 6/28/2016 8:49 AM
h2os2t
Posted 6/28/2016 12:26 PM (#822085 - in reply to #822054)
Subject: RE: Testors Enamel/Base Coat Paint Question

Testors is not bonding, could even be a chemical reaction. try not to switch between water based and oil based products. If you do not sand between primer it might not bond either. Trial and error sometimes, error part sucks though. Interesting the Testors comes off with Etex as oil based does not bond well to most epoxies(most are waterbased).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)