Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Harvesting more muskies?

Message Subject: Harvesting more muskies?
Slime King
Posted 6/15/2016 11:55 AM (#820655 - in reply to #819804)
Subject: Re: Harvesting more muskies?

I'm a firm believer that a system like st.clair will self regulate it's natural population of large predators as it has for years. If there are too many nature will find a way to reduce the population.
Chemi
Posted 6/15/2016 12:36 PM (#820663 - in reply to #820655)

Slime King - 6/15/2016 12:55 PM I'm a firm believer that a system like st.clair will self regulate it's natural population of large predators as it has for years. If there are too many nature will find a way to reduce the population.

Egg-zactly.  

In fact, here's a presentation by Michigan DNR biologists from April 2016 that states unequivocally (in part to counter the assertion that the DNR preferentially manages LSC for muskies) that ZERO muskies have been stocked in the St. Clair River/Lake St. Clair/Detroit River system since 1972. Very interesting vid.

https://youtu.be/gHBuqzTuER8 

kdawg
Posted 6/16/2016 8:54 AM (#820771 - in reply to #819948)

I'm not sure how long ago or the details but does anybody recall a "Transplant" program the wis. dnr tried a few years back about re-locating muskies from one lake and placing them in another? Again, not clear on the details but I believe a lake near Lacrosse, Wi., was given muskies from a lake that was over populated with muskies. I'm not a scientist or biologist but it just seems more logical than harvesting. Maybe costs are a problem. Kdawg
Musky Brian
Posted 6/16/2016 10:02 AM (#820778 - in reply to #820771)

kdawg - 6/16/2016 8:54 AM

I'm not sure how long ago or the details but does anybody recall a "Transplant" program the wis. dnr tried a few years back about re-locating muskies from one lake and placing them in another? Again, not clear on the details but I believe a lake near Lacrosse, Wi., was given muskies from a lake that was over populated with muskies. I'm not a scientist or biologist but it just seems more logical than harvesting. Maybe costs are a problem. Kdawg

Butternut Lake in Park Falls was the one. More of a forage issue than overpopulation I think...

Edited by Musky Brian 6/16/2016 10:04 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)