Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> New Member introduction and quick question

Message Subject: New Member introduction and quick question
25homes
Posted 10/7/2016 10:50 AM (#832568)
Subject: New Member introduction and quick question

Hello just got into musky fishing seriously in last 6 months. Just wanted to say hello been reading for awhile and decided to finally register.

Fished hard couple times in last week no fish and only couple follows wouldnt hit figure 8.. all follows have been on big white willow blade spinner bait. Have been throwing everything and trolling too.
Do you ever fish the spinner baits irratic on retrieve to trigger strike?
White good color right now or something fishing is Western PA in Alleghany river?

Thanks
tyler k
Posted 10/7/2016 12:20 PM (#832575 - in reply to #832568)
Subject: Re: New Member introduction and quick question

I'll bump, rip and flutter them through heavy weeds, especially during late summer and cold fronts. Cast into a clump, crank slow to moderate until the resistance gets bad, let the bait have a little slack, then rip it with a sharp wrist flick that (hopefully) clears any more weeds and resume the retrieve. Let the bait flutter down just to the weed tops in any pockets and at the deep edge. Using a single strand leader helps because it won't tangle on the arm like a soft leader will and the wire will cut through weeds on a rip. If one does hit with this method, trust me, you'll know it!

And white is always a good color, everywhere, always. The more I fish the more I think really I only need black, white and perch colored baits.
Musky952
Posted 10/7/2016 1:16 PM (#832582 - in reply to #832568)

I would agree with that black and white statement. I do find myself using black and orange combos a lot because I have seen the most action on those. Will be switching to white in the next few baits I buy.

As always welcome to the group and glad you signed up so you can actually ask questions. I have learned a lot from this site because I myself got a boat recently and was able to target them on a regular basis. I have been at it consistently for a couple years now and I don't see any sign of slowing down. Nothing more rewarding than a nice musky.
ToddM
Posted 10/7/2016 1:40 PM (#832584 - in reply to #832568)

I will say most of us dont use spinnerbaits as much as we should. They are good night baits and good night baits in stained water. I like a slower drag and drop approach. I learned this fishing for other species with gulp alive on a beetle spin. Drag it slow to feel the blades, then stop. Repeat. Works at night in the late fall too.
esoxaddict
Posted 10/7/2016 2:02 PM (#832586 - in reply to #832568)

Remember when CJ's and Ace Tandems were all the rage? I'm guilty of it too. Pretty sure they still work, but I rarely even consider throwing one.
Slamr
Posted 10/7/2016 2:13 PM (#832588 - in reply to #832586)

esoxaddict - 10/7/2016 2:02 PM

Remember when CJ's and Ace Tandems were all the rage? I'm guilty of it too. Pretty sure they still work, but I rarely even consider throwing one.

Because you dont fish anymore?
25homes
Posted 10/7/2016 2:29 PM (#832591 - in reply to #832568)

Thanks guys just seems weird this is the only lure I have seen any type of action lately..couple follows on it and nothing else...it was a clear blue sky day too and they were laying deep down in the bottom of the weed beds...I messed up bad IMO for not slow rolling this over the weeds and letting drop in the clears think that might have triggered a strike...
I am gonna learn as much as possible here
esoxaddict
Posted 10/7/2016 2:32 PM (#832592 - in reply to #832588)

Slamr - 10/7/2016 2:13 PM

Because you dont fish anymore?

That's definitely part of it!

I stopped even bringing them along on trips 3-4 years ago after leaving them in the truck on every trip for a couple years prior. #*^@ shame, too. Caught a lot of pike on 'em back in the day. Used to hate that. Now I eat them.
Jeremy
Posted 10/7/2016 2:49 PM (#832594 - in reply to #832586)

Ya should be tarred an' feathered for even posting such verbage. What'sa matter with you anyways...*grins*
25homes
Posted 10/11/2016 11:17 AM (#832975 - in reply to #832568)

Went again on Sunday guys and same results. Was throwing everything caught a pike on same white spinner bait and lost another on it but no action on anything else so odd...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)